Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 AM

83 posts, read 99,641 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving to the neighborhoods within the boundaries of either Cedar Park High or Westwood High. How long does it take to get to all of the fun stuff Austin has to offer, from these locations? I work for Costco, so I want to be between the new, upcoming Cedar Park location and the N. Austin location, since I don't know if I will, eventually, end up at the new store. I am moving from OR in December, so I really have no clue about any points of reference, or anything. I would like personal accounts of how long. Websites with this info do not help much, since they say different things, from one to another. I am looking for rush hour and non-rush hour travel times. I'd appreciate your help!

Also, I am a single mother of three (ages 3-14) in my mid 30's. Is there a social scene that does not neccessarily take place in bars? I like bars, now and then, but would like to find other ways to meet people.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,418,609 times
The area you're considering is pretty broad, so these will be some extreme generalities.

Off-peak travel times will be around 25-30 to downtown, could be closer to 20 if you're at - say - Parmer and MoPac. That's not saying everything to do in Austin is downtown - far from it - just a point of reference. Commutes to either of those stores will likely be around the same time - but could be super short if you end up on one side. Personally, I'd lean towards trying to stay close to the N Austin, since that would leave a reverse commute drive to CP. housing is more expensive though.

Social scene can be anywhere, really depends on what your interests are.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,583,354 times
What do you and your family like to do? Knowing that will help to answer your question more accurately. As EzPeterson says, not everything happens downtown; in fact, there's a LOT to do all over the area.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,812,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallieF View Post
I am looking into moving to the neighborhoods within the boundaries of either Cedar Park High or Westwood High.

Why just these two?

How long does it take to get to all of the fun stuff Austin has to offer, from these locations?

As others mentioned, "fun stuff" all over. Fun for you or fun for your kids? CP has lots of various fun events. Main Event is fun. Lots of parks all over (several near WWHS in the Anderson Mill area with pools etc.) But what is your definition of "fun".

I work for Costco, so I want to be between the new, upcoming Cedar Park location and the N. Austin location, since I don't know if I will, eventually, end up at the new store. I am moving from OR in December, so I really have no clue about any points of reference, or anything.

For your (& our) reference the new location will be at the corner of 183 toll road & 1431. The existing one (NW) is located next to the Arboretum. (lots of "fun stuff" to do around there too)

I would like personal accounts of how long. Websites with this info do not help much, since they say different things, from one to another. I am looking for rush hour and non-rush hour travel times. I'd appreciate your help!

Travel times from where to where?

Also, I am a single mother of three (ages 3-14) in my mid 30's. Is there a social scene that does not neccessarily take place in bars? I like bars, now and then, but would like to find other ways to meet people.

Parks, Team Sports, Tennis, Swimming Pools, Athletic Clubs, School Events, Church?

Thank you!!!
I would look at a general map, then look at the school maps & maps with parks & events, KNOW these maps in relation to the two Costco locations, & then read thru the welcome to Austin stickys. Then come back here and ask away. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,641,488 times
I'd be keeping myself darned close to 183 for easy access to either Costco location. As mentioned, the farther south you are toward Austin, the closer you will be to the in-town attractions. However, any stretch of 183 south of 1431 is going to have many venues for meeting folks...there's 'stuff' all along there...shopping centers, restaurants, indoor skydiving!, Alamo Drafthouse theater, tattoo shops, etc. You could certainly make it into 'town' for special events; but there's plenty to do 'up here'. In terms of areas, you could look at Forest Oak, Avery Ranch West, Buttercup Creek, Silverado. If you knew you would end up at the new Costco, Cedar Park Town Center would be excellent.

Your commute times will depend as much on the actual location within a neighborhood and accessing 183. The toll road is smooth as silk 'up here'...gets much more crowded as you drive in to the Great Hills Costco, but for a fairly short distance. Personally, I'd push for the new location for the job.

Good luck! With three kids those ages, it should be a breeze!

Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,117,702 times
You're assuming you'll have the freedom to decide where you live. Once you arrive, and find the limited availability of apartments and rental homes, what you can find will determine where you live more than anything. In other words, pin pointing a neighborhood or specific area won't do you any good if there is nothing available there.

I would set the general parameters you have, the high school boundaries (which will give you good leeway), and just see what is available when you actually start searching.

Use AustinHomeSearch.com to look online for houses, then Google Maps to see what the driving routes would be.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 PM

Thank you all so much! I find all of your perspectives and advice really helpful!

As far as what kind of "stuff" I like to do, I'm up for just about anything. I like adventure, nature (minus creepy bugs...yes, I do realize I'm moving to TX), sports (participating and spectating), music (almost all kinds...definitely not dub-step), food, hiking, lounging, people watching, country driving, church, karaoke, dancing, farmer's markets, street fairs, movies, coffee (lots of coffee)....I like to try everything, at least once. I have been cooped up staring at textbooks for 4 years and need hobbies and fun. I was in nerd mode and didn't have any sort of work-life balance. Now, I have completed a BS Business Administration-Management & Leadership and will finish Human Resources Management (December), which has been my entire life, outside of work and, or course, my boys. I am moving to Austin to get away from the perma-grey skies, bad public schools, and I'm tired of swimming to school/work .....I'm perma-pruny from the rain.

I can do 20-30 mins, or more, up to about an hour in traffic, before I get cranky. I find commuting soothing, as long as I get up when my alarm goes off. I get to be a rock/country star for the entire drive! I work about 23 miles (20-30) mins from my home, now. I sit in traffic, every morning and it has consistently taken me 45 mins to get to school (8 miles from my home, into downtown Portland). I'm mostly concerned with good schools for my sons and not moving much, since my oldest is a FReshman...I don't want my boys to switch schools, once we find a place. I plan to buy in a couple of years, once I get to know the area.

Thanks, again!!!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 AM

7,746 posts, read 15,204,598 times
You live a bit further than me from downtown but from duval/183 it is probably 15-20 minutes to downtown with no traffic. (weekends) and weedays.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,641,488 times
Oops, upon further review, most of the neighborhoods I mentioned actually feed into Vista Ridge HS...not on your list.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 PM

I will look into Vista Ridge HS to see what the rankings and reviews say about it. Maybe I should add it to my list?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin