Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times

Advertisements

After bumping into a few other HS football fans, I thought a thread for Greater Austin - City Data fans would be in order. Those coming from other parts of the country can observe (with amusement, shock or disgust) that many of us love the cultural, social & entertainment aspect (ritual) that is Texas High School Football.

Here in greater austin we have a dozen or more great HS programs (& a couple dozen other schools that aren't "great" yet, but are working toward it....& are loved by their towns or supporters).

State Champs & Recent State Champs: - LT, WL, CP, Wimberly, Liberty Hill.
Annual Powerhouses - StonyPoint, Pville, Leander, WWHS, DSHS, Georgetown.
Up & Comers - Vandegrift, Bowie, Anderson, Lago Vista.

I'm sure I missed some....that's the point of this thread. Talk about YOUR team, talk about upcoming games, share a memory.

Here's my favorite: Watching NB Unicorns get to the semifinal in 1999 (5A...they had just moved up from 4A). Led by Kliff Kingsbury at QB. We saw every playoff game (3 of them decided by overtime. Traveled to Corpus, SA for wins & then watched them lose in the Astrodome). My daughter (at the time a Sophomore) was dating a Junior cornerback for the Unicorns, so we knew alot of the players. Good times that year watching a gutty overachieving team.

This week's highlight games:

- Westlake at Cedar Park. (wow - a battle of powerhouses in the first game!!)
- Converse Judson (always a strong team from SA) at LT.
- Westwood at Austin High.
- Anderson at McCallum (backyard brawl between neighbors)
- Vista Ridge at Bastrop (is that quarterback still with Bastrop? or did he graduate?)
- Akins at Crockett (yawn)
- Rouse at Hendrickson
- RR & StonyPoint traveling up to Bell County.
- DS at SM
- LBJ at Hutto
- Connally at Leander

Did i miss any? Who do you guys like this weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
We are new to Texas and my DD will be attending Leander High School. My DS played football in high school and we enjoyed it however, we are from Nevada and high school football, while fun and exciting is nothing like what I think we are about to encounter here in TX. When we first moved here, my kids were amazed at the size of Leanders's stadium, DS has recently seen the weight rooms while taking his sister to school activities and he was flabbergasted, said it was similar to the weight room of the D-I University he attended.

This Friday night will find my entire family at Bible Stadium, we are excited for this thing we keep hearing about, Texas High School Football! Go Lions!

Now if someone could explain to me the mum, I'd be all set

Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
As a faculty member of Giddings High School in the late '60s, it was my privilege to be the press box announcer at all the home games. Half the town traveled to the away games. Fun Days.

Mrs.Sco was the drum majorette for her Taylor High School (Fightin' Ducks) band in the early '60s. That was a big social deal in those days.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Anderson at McCallum (backyard brawl between neighbors)

This is always a fun game! Although it isn't my neighborhood, I know dozens of people who will be in the stands on both sides. I'll be rooting for McCallum!

Are Westlake games still rebroadcast on Sunday nights? That's how I spent my Sunday evenings in 2006 -- nursing a baby on the couch and watching Westlake play! By far, the best thing on TV in that time slot.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Homecoming Mum? I'm not familiar with the details as it's more of a girl thing (guys give them to girls & they wear them to the game & to the dance).....I'm thinking bigger is better?

Have fun at Bible Stadium.....get there early.

Quote:
We are new to Texas and my DD will be attending Leander High School. My DS played football in high school and we enjoyed it however, we are from Nevada and high school football, while fun and exciting is nothing like what I think we are about to encounter here in TX.

When we first moved here, my kids were amazed at the size of Leanders's stadium, DS has recently seen the weight rooms while taking his sister to school activities and he was flabbergasted, said it was similar to the weight room of the D-I University he attended.

This Friday night will find my entire family at Bible Stadium, we are excited for this thing we keep hearing about,
Texas High School Football! Go Lions!

Now if someone could explain to me the mum, I'd be all set

Old 08-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
As a faculty member of Giddings High School in the late '60s, it was my privilege to be the press box announcer at all the home games. Half the town traveled to the away games. Fun Days.

Mrs.Sco was the drum majorette for her Taylor High School (Fightin' Ducks) band in the early '60s. That was a big social deal in those days.
Didn't Giddings have a great running back (quarterback) the past 2-3 years? (Did he go on to play in college? & did Giddings to to State during his time there?)

Gotta love the "Fightin' Ducks".

Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Everything you ever wanted to know about Homecoming Mums!

Inside The Weird Texas Tradition of Enormous Homecoming Corsages

Homecoming mum tradition goes over the top in Texas | Reuters

Homecoming Mums: A Texas Tradition | Garden Design

There is even a short film on them from 2007. Mum-a-Mia! The History of a Texas Tradition (2007) - IMDb

Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Didn't Giddings have a great running back (quarterback) the past 2-3 years? (Did he go on to play in college? & did Giddings to to State during his time there?)

Gotta love the "Fightin' Ducks".
Haven't followed the Buffs in decades, but I think they had a good QB (Fitzhenry?) who went to UT in recent years, but don't think he ever saw the field.

Mrs.Sco leading the Fightin' Taylor Duck band down Main Street in 1962 (that's before she lost some weigh prior to going off to college):

Last edited by ScoPro; 08-27-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:55 PM

217 posts, read 327,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Anderson at McCallum (backyard brawl between neighbors)

This is always a fun game! Although it isn't my neighborhood, I know dozens of people who will be in the stands on both sides. I'll be rooting for McCallum!

Are Westlake games still rebroadcast on Sunday nights? That's how I spent my Sunday evenings in 2006 -- nursing a baby on the couch and watching Westlake play! By far, the best thing on TV in that time slot.
McCallum Knights!!! Yo We transferred in but we still support 'em. The band is better than the football tema, though.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
I think both Westlake and Hendrickson are going to crush it this year. I think both will win their district and meet each other in the Region II finals. In 5a though, all roads run through Katy and Allen (tired of seeing them though). In 4a, Cedar Park has a great chance to go back-to-back this year. Leander and Elgin have the talent to go far too. Hard to bet against the Timberwolves and Denton Guyer.

Pflugerville is going to blow. Lots of talent graduated and Coach Herrmann's offense is as predictable as the sun rising. If Pville doesn't have solid talent their wing-t outdated offense gets shut down. A lot of offensive talent gets wasted there. The Panthers may sneak in though.

As far as the Bastrop QB, Josiah Monroe, he wasn't recruited as a QB and think he is a WR at either at UTSA or N. Texas. Too small. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by Acuda; 08-27-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: