Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times

Advertisements

HEY...I'm a male and I've long shaved under my arms. It reduces the need for deodorant!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 PM

28 posts, read 56,751 times
LOL!!!!!
I was talking about my first year here in Austin.. How did armpit hair get so much attention?
But anyway I do hope Austin will grow on me... but so far it hasn't =(

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
It probably will. But if not, maybe you guys could take some weekend trips to other Texas cities.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathali View Post
My community is also very Asian and I do not have anything against them but I do not like to my community pool and seeing unshaved female arm pits.
I haven't read all the pages of this thread, but I sure hope someone along the way pointed out the hilarious juxtaposition of your complaints about the lack of integration right next to your complaints about other cultures.

If you're so offended that other people don't do with their bodies what you wish then I honestly can't say I'd miss you much if you go. And if you weren't impressed by Hamilton Pool then you are right, this place likely isn't for you. It isn't Disney Land -- it wasn't made by men to impress a ticket paying public -- it is a completely natural swimming hole and one of the most beautiful in the nation.

I honestly think you'd be happiest in a suburb of Dallas serving as president of your Home Owners Association.

Last edited by buffettjr; 09-04-2013 at 10:43 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I find it really hard to believe that any Austin High School is 65% Asian. Surely you are mistaken about this. The total for all of Austin is Asian alone - 52,127 (6.4%). Six point four percent! And the census tract with the largest Asian population, 78759, is only 26.9%. I find 65% hard to believe.
Dunno about 65%, but several schools in RRISD around Westwood bump up to 40%. Close enough to get the point across though. And remember, folks from India are in that mix, not all Asians are from China/Japan/Korea.

As for the OP not liking pit beards, I find it interesting those that talk negatively about their dislike, as if they don't have a right to dislike it. If that's the thing that is making them dislike Austin, then fine, that's their deal. Just because I don't mind the heat, I'm not going to put down others that do, this goes for pretty much anything, no matter how silly it may sound. The OP can easily find a neighborhood that meets their demographic/personal grooming expectations, so the only issue I have is painting Austin with this broad brush based on a single neighborhood/school. The heat is a different story of course ...

But from a bigger picture perspective, it's honestly OK for some folks to not like Austin right? Doesn't matter what the reasons are, if it doesn't float their boat then fine. Thanks for coming and at least giving it a try and hopefully they'll be more successful in finding their dream city/locale next time.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
So I lived here 17 years ago and life brought us back. We live in N. Austin and I still don't find anything interesting to do. Mind you I hate out door activities and hate the heat.
I do not like that my daughters high school is 65% Asian and they do not integrate. My daughter is the only white in the advance classes and she says that the Asian students just don't integrate.
My community is also very Asian and I do not have anything against them but I do not like to my community pool and seeing unshaved female arm pits.
I wish I could relocate again and leave this city. We have been to see the bats, the capitol, south congress and barton creek. What else is there to do. Went to Hamilton Pool and was very disappointed.
I still don't understand why people love it here.
If those are your only complaints, than Austin sounds like a great city.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I do think you should consider moving, either to a community in the Austin area that better suits you or out of Austin. If aren't happy where you live, you should leave. I know it takes some time to accomplish that, but really, it's more constructive to start figuring out where you would like to go and planning that than just complaining about where you are.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Really? You wonder how armpit hair got attention? You're the one with the issue, people simply responded to you. Here are couple of things you said to refresh your memory and I didn't even include your first post:

Quote:
LOL!!!!!
I was talking about my first year here in Austin.. How did armpit hair get so much attention?
But anyway I do hope Austin will grow on me... but so far it hasn't =(
Quote:
I don't have anything against Asians or any minority I am a minority as well. But you have to admit that a wild jungle under the arms is a very unpleasant thing to see, regardless of your nationality or ethnicity. But it happens to be that in my community pool the only ones with a full rain forest are from Asia... Now not all of them have a hairy armpits. It was just that yesterday four of them did and I really have a problem swimming next to them, what can I say? Am I the only one with this problem. And pls leave race out of this.
thanks

I'm also with Grasshopper and a couple of others in this thread. Wow, you counted four people yesterday that had "hairy armpits". *gasp! We should take a poll or call a summit.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!! How did armpit hair get so much attention?(
Look at your posts, You spent more time complaining about armpit hair then anything else you have written.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
I ignored this post as long as I could until you revealed in the Grisham post much farther down that you live in Canyon Creek and the H.S. you are referring to is Westwood.

I will leave the Westwood rant alone aside from saying you KNOW you are not only over exaggerating, you are misrepresenting the makeup of the school, who is and isn't in advanced classes and it's ridiculous.

Canyon Creek is NOT unfriendly; it is either 1) the street which you live (which happens in every neighborhood -- occasionally there are dud streets where no one talks to one another) or 2) you. We spend a lot of time in the neighborhood at three different homes in three different areas of the community and each of those streets are not only friendly but the neighbors spend a good amount of time entertaining/hosting each other. Great sense of community.

Lastly, you are complaining about ladies with unshaven armpits in the CC pool. A VERY large pool. Really? Swim on the other side if it bothers you so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin