Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

One of our friends lives out past Sun City. It's still pretty undeveloped out that way. Those are the ones that live close to the Lake. If you went further North to Salado, which is NE of Georgetown, it's actually pretty hilly out there. But it would be a very long commute to Braker for you. Probably not near as bad for your wife. But people actually do commute that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 AM

69 posts, read 158,280 times
Can I ask some paranoia questions? How much should I worry about some of the television publicized critters that we don't have up north, like scorpions, rattle snakes, killer bees, fiddle-back spiders...? With four young daughters, I worry...

Also, my wife mentioned that basements are far less found around there, where most homes up here have them. Is that a freak of her limited exposure, or is that true, and if so, why?

One last mention: I will miss snow between Thanksgiving and New Year's (otherwise, good riddance!) but I think with neighbors like you folks I will be very happy.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:24 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc777 View Post
Can I ask some paranoia questions? How much should I worry about some of the television publicized critters that we don't have up north, like scorpions, rattle snakes, killer bees, fiddle-back spiders...? With four young daughters, I worry...

Also, my wife mentioned that basements are far less found around there, where most homes up here have them. Is that a freak of her limited exposure, or is that true, and if so, why?

One last mention: I will miss snow between Thanksgiving and New Year's (otherwise, good riddance!) but I think with neighbors like you folks I will be very happy.
There are tons of posts about critters. They are here but very very rare. In 10 years in austin I have seen 4 scorpions. I get fireant bites every other month or so, but I am outside a lot. They dont hurt much, but they itch like crazy.

I have heard of rattlesnakes, but havent seen one myself.

There pretty much are no basements here. One of the reasons for basements up north is that a slab foundation doesnt do so good at the frost layer so they dig a deep hole instead. Also, in the hill country it is solid limestone so you cant dig, out east they just arent needed I guess.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,304 times
Quote:

I've heard lots of people mention the scorpions, but in the 5 years that I've been here, I've never seen one. The rattlesnakes are mostly a worry in more rural areas, and a heavy rain will draw them out (along with water moccasins and the occassional coral snake).

As for the basements, we don't have them. Part of the reason is the shallow soil, then solid bedrock. We also have lots of clay.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
Quote:

I've lived here for many years and I've never seen a snake in my yard...I have seen snakes (not rattlers, though) a couple times crossing a road in rural areas. I've only seen a scorpion once when we were camping. We don't have killer bees, but when it warms up in the spring, we get yellow jackets that sting. You have to be vigilant about wasp nests and fireant beds around your home.

About basements...I've seen homes that have "Texas Basements" and it can mean a couple of things. First, if the home is on a hill, playrooms/bonus rooms are sometimes built on a bottom floor that's visible from the back but not the front of the home...maybe called "walk-out basements" in other parts of the country? Second, some bulders call finished-out attic/storage space on the second floor a "Texas Basement."

Have fun looking!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:23 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Actually, we do have africanized bees here. There was a story about a family I believe in Buda or Kyle who were out looking at their home as it was being built and something, I think a motorcycle, backfired and they got set off, and the family were swarmed. So you do have to be careful. But contrary to Hollywood lore, they don't swarm unless something disturbs them. I live NorthEast of Austin and have heard of no encounters up here so far. There is information available about how to deal with them if they are ever encountered.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:19 AM

OK. Killer bees, but no land sharks.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
Quote:
OK. Killer bees, but no land sharks.
Mmmmm. maybe. Beware of candy grams.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:40 AM

I have for ridiculous reasons (it is closer to the Gulf of Mexico) been highly biased to locating in the Austin area (quit laughing), but as the firm my wife is working with also has locations in the Dallas area, I should ask - Is there any reason (better than the one I have) to prefer locating in one area than the other?

@texastea - omg, someone as old as I am!... :-)

Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
re: bugs. If you live in a rural area, such as western G'town, you will have scorpions. I grew up in the area, and was stung many times. Very similar sting to wasps, so unless you are allergic - painful bu not dangerous.

Basements - solid rock (or close to it) so very expensive. There are a very few, but not many.

As for Dallas vs. Austin, it is more personal perference. You can probably get a better deal on house/land up in Dallas, but commute is probably better (million variables, though). Dallas is a bigger city, both in reality and personality. It is a matter of personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin