Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM

527 posts, read 1,232,739 times

Advertisements

Any idea what is a reasonable price to pay for fire ants treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Whatever the cost of the bag of granules is at HD or Lowe's.....it's not expensive at all. Unless you have many, many acres, I wouldn't pay for someone else to treat fireants.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM

20 posts, read 44,696 times
I use Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 10 Lb from Amazon.

My bug guy only comes out twice a year since I started using this.

Control of hard shell insects (fleas, ticks, ants, roaches, beetles, bed bugs, etc); Will not harm earthworms.
Elimination and prevention of worms and internal parasites without chemicals
Improved coat and hoof condition
Fewer flies due to preventing fly larvae from developing in manure
Safe for Human or Animal Consumption

Amazon.com: Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 10 Lb: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 10-22-2013, 12:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Just get some Ambro and sprinkle it around any nests you see. Its easy to do and inexpensive. I'd never pay an exterminator to do some thing that easy for me.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
I have the same container of amdro (probably $7) that I have used for almost 10 years. I sprinkle it on a new mound - especially visible after rain. Step on the mound to get the ants swarming. The mound is dead within a day or two.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM

318 posts, read 670,369 times
I pay $90 quarterly for pest control with fireant treatment. And STILL have to get my own spot treatments. I could have them come back out, but I don't find their preventative treatment much better than the spot treaters. I should look at a different company, I suppose.

Here's the thing:
If your neighbors aren't treating, or if you back up to greenspace, you'll be spinning your wheels trying to keep them out.

For my anaphylactically allergic son, it's a battle we have to keep fighting.

Interestingly, there are studies that say some specific species of flies fight fire ant populations better than pesticides. Wish I could buy those in the store.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Study on the (in)effectiveness of Diatomaceous Earth:
https://insects.tamu.edu/fireant/res...arth_brown.pdf

I agree with Austin 97: poke the nest, dump the bait. I cover the whole mound. Never had one fail to be zapped.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,739 times
I'm highly allergic to those little bastards, so I don't think I want to stomp on the mound. I'll check out Ambro though. Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I have the same container of amdro (probably $7) that I have used for almost 10 years. I sprinkle it on a new mound - especially visible after rain. Step on the mound to get the ants swarming. The mound is dead within a day or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
I'm highly allergic to those little bastards, so I don't think I want to stomp on the mound. I'll check out Ambro though. Thanks for the suggestions everyone
My container of Amdro only lasted FIVE years!!! Where do I complain?!?! Seriously, only treated visible mounds on our 1/3 ac lot and never had to retreat any single spot. I don't mind treating for bugs trying to get IN the house, but I wouldn't routinely treat the entire yard unless you have a giant problem or a garden party soon.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Amdro specifically says not to disturb the mound when using it. I think it is because Amdro is a bait - and the ants are more likely to pick it up when they are not frantically searching for a human foot to bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin