Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 PM

51 posts, read 157,239 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I'm new to this form, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot:P but I am moving to Austin,TX for a full-time job (Associate 3d Artist for a major video game company), and I have never lived on my own before, let alone in a different state (from NY). I was offered the job at 42.5k a year and that's really the most they'd go, they said they checked competitive salaries within the area and came to the conclusion that is the most fair they can offer for entry level. This is pretty much my dream job, I'm leaving school for this. My question is: Is 42.5k a year a good salary to live on as a single, 21, male? I am pretty cheap when it comes to things, so I won't be blowing my money, but will I be making enough to start and live comfortably? or just be scraping by?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Will you have any bills?

What is comfortable to you?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 PM

18 posts, read 24,066 times
Yes you should be fine. If you want to save money, I'd advise staying away from downtown or getting a roommate or two.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohnny View Post
Hey,
I'm new to this form, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot:P but I am moving to Austin,TX for a full-time job (Associate 3d Artist for a major video game company), and I have never lived on my own before, let alone in a different state (from NY). I was offered the job at 42.5k a year and that's really the most they'd go, they said they checked competitive salaries within the area and came to the conclusion that is the most fair they can offer for entry level. This is pretty much my dream job, I'm leaving school for this. My question is: Is 42.5k a year a good salary to live on as a single, 21, male? I am pretty cheap when it comes to things, so I won't be blowing my money, but will I be making enough to start and live comfortably? or just be scraping by?
Thanks
It isn't a great salary, but if you have roommates and are flexible with where you live, you should be fine. Just be aware that the game industry is pretty cyclical as well as hit or miss, so if there is a downturn, lots of people get laid off.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:36 PM

I'll have bills like internet service, utilities and rent, that's about it (I plan on getting a car once I have enough saved up really so maybe insurance for that too). My company pays for pretty much all my medical, dental and vision believe it or not so that isn't a issue. Comfortable for me is being able to sit back and relax without having to worry about just making it the next month, being able to eat out, go to the movies, buy a video game every once in a while.
Hopefully that answers your questions.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
It isn't a great salary, but if you have roommates and are flexible with where you live, you should be fine. Just be aware that the game industry is pretty cyclical as well as hit or miss, so if there is a downturn, lots of people get laid off.
Yeah totally I understand. I plan on saving money as well to have as a cushion in case I get laid off. I could always do freelance as well for extra money as I have no problem finding freelance work.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 PM

319 posts, read 610,512 times
My main concern is the leaving school part. You should follow your dreams but also recognize that dreams change, especially in your 20s while you're still figuring things out. The video game industry is a tough one and I've met people here who say it's slowly dieing here, though I don't know how credible those statements are. You'll have about $900/mo to spend on housing so if you live downtown, which I'm assuming you'll want to at your age, then it's definitely doable but you'll have to share with a few other people probably. I spend about that on daycare for two kids here right now so unless your spouse makes a good income then you'll probably have a tough time raising a family on that later if that becomes your goal. Your income will probably go up 20-30% by that time though.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
Are you sure leaving school for a $42k job is a good idea?! I guess it depends on what your prospects would be once you get your degree.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Are you sure leaving school for a $42k job is a good idea?! I guess it depends on what your prospects would be once you get your degree.
Yeah,
Well I have been involved with the game industry for 4 years now and active in the professional community. I've talked to seniors and recruiters , etc. As a game artist you don't need a degree and people with degrees make no more or less than someone without, I know a few senior artists in high ranking studios that have zero degree. All you need is a portfolio, talent and experience (which is what I am getting with this studio to move up pretty much). It's hard to grasp, but I wouldn't leave school at all if I knew I needed it honestly.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times
You sound level-headed and if the game industry is where you're headed anyway and this is your dream job jump on it! $42k is great for someone your age in a field you love. You can enjoy Austin on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: