Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,105,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
That list requires putting an EXCEEDINGLY fine line on "Austin". Most people, when they say they are moving to "Austin", couldn't tell you the difference between Lakeway, Austin, Rollingwood, Round Rock, or Buda. They would all say they were moving to "Austin".

So to list moves from Round Rock to Clarksville the same as a move from LA fails the test of reasonableness. From Belterra to NW Hills shouldn't be different than from Circle C. Take out the five counties in the Austin MSA - Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, and Williamson - and the list looks very different.
Exactly, I live in dripping springs, but I say Austin.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,222,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Not following your above remark arguing in support of what THL claimed. Your article is in no way applicable, in support of or even related to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And the question is, do people moving here from other places in Texas ... try to change Austin as much as people moving from other states and, specifically, California?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,284,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Not following your above remark arguing in support of what THL claimed. Your article is in no way applicable, in support of or even related to:
I wasn't supporting anyone or anything. Just pointing to a well documented example of the changing of a state - in multiple ways - due to the influx of Californians - that it was much more than just "anecdotes".

They have a word for it, for a reason.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,518,479 times
There's well-documented examples of changing states all over the west. We're a roaming nomadic species. This article, though five years old, takes aim at Texans doing the very thing that Texans now accuse Californians of. It's actually a humorous piece and makes light of our territorial nature:

Don't Mess with Colorado | 5280

Old 11-07-2013, 09:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady
Note the name of the objector to the characterization.

I want it clear that I don't think that all Californians want to change Austin or wherever they land. However, sufficient of them do that they have a reputation that far precedes their arrival in Austin, or Texas at all - a reputation earned in other states of moving in and wanting to change things.

That being said, anyone who moves to Austin because they love it and appreciate it and DOESN'T immediately start complaining about how it isn't like where they came from and start trying to make it over in the image of that place is more than welcome, in my book, and I think that's the majority of immigrants. It's just a few who don't understand the difference between immigration and colonization that cause problems not only for those who already live here but for those who from the same place who have to deal with the reputation.

It would never occur to me to move to California or anywhere else and try to make it into Texas. What on earth would be the point of moving, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I've been at this board just a hair longer than you, and moved here six years ago after marrying a native Austinite who was born here in 1958. The fact that my log-in name here is still pointed out by you after all these years is just a glaring reminder of your long-standing resentment toward outsiders who move here. You consistently make sweeping generalizations just like the very one that prompted my initial response. Yet you sell houses to these very people, and don't even live in Austin or even Travis County yourself. You are the absolute worst kind of hypocrite in my opinion ... you profit off the very people you resent.

My father is a native Texan, as was my grandfather, and my Texas family would never dream of being rude or unwelcoming to outsiders. You must be from a different part of Texas.
Nor Cal Wahine, note the bolded paragraph above. If you fall into the category of those who move from California to Austin (or any part of Texas) because you love the state, and you don't start complaining about it or try to change it into California, then the problems mentioned don't apply to you and you are one of the ones who is having to deal with the bad image created by the ones who think they are colonizing rather than immigrating when they move somewhere new (be it Texas or Colorado or Washington State or Oregon).

Only you know for sure which one you are; the rest of us can only judge by what you say in your posts on here.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
Quote:
That list requires putting an EXCEEDINGLY fine line on "Austin". Most people, when they say they are moving to "Austin", couldn't tell you the difference between Lakeway, Austin, Rollingwood, Round Rock, or Buda. They would all say they were moving to "Austin".
OTOH, when you see a statement like "150 people a day are moving to Austin, it DOES include those people moving from RR, G'town, Buda, etc.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 AM

390 posts, read 671,815 times
I live in Circle C and I have met very few people from California in the three years that I have lived here which seems strange considering all the threads posted here about the influx of Californians. Most of the families that we know have at least one spouse who is from somewhere in Texas.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:02 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,788,603 times
never mind.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 AM

155 posts, read 211,694 times
A few people seem to constantly complain about the complainers. They're especially acerbic towards Californians trying to change Austin/TX into another California. I'm think it's quite laughable to expect a place to forever conform to their personal vision of utopia. Common sense dictates that Austin or Texas cannot turn into another California ever. Both places are constantly changing. What's wrong if Austin imbibes good things from California or another place and vice-versa? You are as much an Austinite as the person who moved to Austin 10/5/1 years ago. So what gives you the right to crib about an Austinite trying to change Austin into California? Austin doesn't exist merely for the sake of nostalgia.
Disclosure: I moved to Austin 10 years ago from Minnesota.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,222,503 times
Heck, I'll lobby for your own Californication Austin CD board so you two can complain about change and outsiders to each other all day long.

Yawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin