Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 PM

101 posts, read 165,074 times

Advertisements

Back when I used to live in NY, we used to order a quart of chicken and broccoli, and a quart of fried rice. I'd take it back home and dole it out among the children, and you could feed everyone for ~$12...

Now that I live in Austin, while there are perfectly pleasant chinese food restaurants on practically every corner, when I ask for a quart of something, they have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. They only seem to want to let you order single servings of food, and buying five individual servings can cost quite a bit! Even during the cheapest lunch specials.

To summarize, are there any (authentic) chinese food restaurants near the 78745 area that allow you to purchase in bulk?

On a related note, I'm not a transplant from NY, I'm born and raised Austin. I just spend a lot of time up there visiting my father's side of the family. I'm not sure why, but I just felt that needed to be said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
I don't know about quarts - but the food here is cheap and really decent. It's as close to what you can get in NYC in Austin.

First Chinese BBQ Menu

Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 AM

18 posts, read 27,403 times
I have never been to a Chinese restaurant in NYC or Austin that had quart-sized portions. I have been to Asian grocery stores like Ranch 99 that have delis where you can fill up a container of food. I don't think there are any of those in Austin though.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
A quart isn't that much, really. It's 4 cups, like those square zip-loc containers.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
I think what he is saying is that the restaurants he is going to give you a single meal vs. selling it to you family style.

I would think that most restaurants serve family style. I dont know of any that would serve you a single meal.

edit
ok I reread the post.
If you are going at lunch then yes you will get a single person plate. Instead, order from the dinner menu and you will be fine.

Also we always still allot one dish per person which usually ends up with 2-3x too much food.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I don't know about Chinese food, but you can get quarts of BBQ at places like Rudy's and Salt Lick and quarts of Cajun food at places like Stuffed in North Austin (best Cajun food ever).

Maybe try to blend in "Austin style" and go for these bulk items?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:26 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Entrees always seem to come in large quantities at the Chinese restaurants in town. No one refers to them as "quart" size though. One entree typically lasts me 3 meals at least. At many of the places I've tried in Austin, lunch portions are usually smaller (but I still wind up with leftovers) and part of a combo meal (with some soup and an eggroll usually).

One of my favorite things to do long ago was order two entrees at Asia Cafe (one meat dish and one veggie dish) and then eat the leftovers for the rest of the week.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Quarts of Chinese food? I don't think that restaurant you used to go to in NYC was quality nor authentic.
Every Chinese place in NY offers their food in either pint or quart size. Those plastic/tin trays that are used here are usually reserved for the "chefs specialties."

Since Chinatown Westlake closed I don't eat Chinese food anymore.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
OP I would be ordering the Ala Carte items not the meals, those should be about the "quart" size you are referring to. We always order individual items then share. We never get Chinese to go we always eat in, I love Chinese but only when its really hot, fresh with crisp veggies.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Back when I used to live in NY, we used to order a quart of chicken and broccoli, and a quart of fried rice. I'd take it back home and dole it out among the children, and you could feed everyone for ~$12...

I think the $12 for two quarts of prepared anything might be the stumbling block here More like $20, I reckon.

Dang, I'm cutting down on rice, but that sure does sound good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: