Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 PM

49 posts, read 86,732 times

Advertisements

If you have a tree that 100% of the branch is on the neighbor's yard, would you cut it down?

I do love trees, but I'm concerned about liability. I have been researching on the law and it is my understanding that I have the responsibility to keep the tree healthy. If the branches fall because of my negligent to care for the tree, I'm liable for the damage.

First concern is the legal mess. 2nd is that I don't want to carry that burden (of caring for the tree) when none of the branches are on my side. Part "why would I", part "how would I know if the tree is doing well or not just by looking at the trunk"

any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Even if the tree branches are not on/over your yard, it can provide quite a bit of shade on your yard depending on the time of day, year, etc.

If you are in the city of Austin, then you may not be allowed to cut down the tree w/o a permit, depending on the size.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-23-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
Are the branches dead? Have you spoke with your neighbor?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:43 PM

We have permit to cut it down.
The tree looks pretty healthy actually.

Also, there is no neighbor yet (but very soon)

Last edited by LanceD; 11-23-2013 at 09:48 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 PM

615 posts, read 780,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceD View Post
We have permit to cut it down.
The tree looks pretty healthy actually.

Also, there is no neighbor yet (but very soon)
So, you want to cut down a healthy tree because you're worried that branch might fall on a neighbor that doesn't even exist yet?

I'm surprised you were issued a permit to cut it down.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Can the branch itself be removed without killing the tree? I had a tree that had a major branch that hung out of the neighbors yard (in the back of both our yards). Just a few months ago, during one of the storms, the branch broke and put a nice sized dent to the top of the chainlink fence. Luckily it was in the way back of both of our yards so the damage was minimal, but the cost of cutting the branch would have been insignificant to the cost of any liability if something, or worse, someone had truly been hurt, so I totally get wanting to be proactive.

Call an arborist and have them come look at the situation and recommend options. In the end, if it's safest for the tree to go then so be it. Note too that some trees are not native and are actually generally bad for this area (e.g. they suck a lot of water), so removing a "healthy" tree isn't necessarily always a bad thing. Some of the arborists I've talked to about our trees get somewhat militant about cutting down these non-native trees.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceD View Post
If you have a tree that 100% of the branch is on the neighbor's yard, would you cut it down?

I do love trees, but I'm concerned about liability. I have been researching on the law and it is my understanding that I have the responsibility to keep the tree healthy. If the branches fall because of my negligent to care for the tree, I'm liable for the damage.

First concern is the legal mess. 2nd is that I don't want to carry that burden (of caring for the tree) when none of the branches are on my side. Part "why would I", part "how would I know if the tree is doing well or not just by looking at the trunk"

any advice?
1. Yes, if you become aware of a condition of the tree that exists on your property and you fail to address and it injures someone or someone's property you could be held liable.

2. It seems odd that the tree is entirely on your property but the branches are only over your neighbor's. Assuming this is true, it seems to me you have all the liability and none of the benefit. Cut it down.

3. I assume that if you had an arborist come and look at it every year or two and they gave you a thumbs up, you would likely not be liable in the event something happened in between. But since you don't really have the benefit of the shade, etc. why keep it.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 AM

83 posts, read 201,250 times
Consider grooming the tree aggressively. I had a similar situation where the main trunk of my tree was laying on my neighbor's roof. I use The Tree Tender for my trees. He devised a progressive plan to gradually lop off more and more of the offending branch and train the secondary branches to grow upright. He lopped off all of the trunk that was over on my neighbor's, lopped off all branches pointing downwards. After two years the tree is already looking better.

You may wish to consider this. The Tree Tender is very reasonable and a certified arborist--his focus will be on how to save the tree, not how to cut it down. http://www.thetreetender.com
Also consider that there are many tree lovers in this town, almost a religion. You may be subject to neighborhood scorn if you completely remove the tree.

You did not say what type of tree. If it is any oak I strongly suggest that you hire a certified arborist to deal with the tree, whatever you decide. Oak wilt is rampant in Central Texas

Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for all the response folks.
Just to clarify few things:
1. the neighbor house is being built, he hasn't closed it yet.
2. regarding all branches are not on my yard: Just the way the tree tilted. It tilted about 20 degree and the root is 2-ft on my side of the fence. This live-oak is about 10-inch in diameter (or so), so with 20 degree tilt, the bottom 6-ft is on my side, the rest is on his.
3. If he is willing to release me of any responsibility, I will keep the tree.

Thanks Lindrix for the tip on The Tree Tender. I don't think it would work on this case since I only get the bottom 6-ft on my side of the fence. But it is good to know that there is such option out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: