Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshmesh View Post
The gates are of interest to us as our child has special needs and is overly friendly with strangers.
There aren't many gated communities like that one in the area because it really isn't needed for safety. Whether or not it's overpriced depends on your wants. Those of us that live in the area know that the gate is pretty silly in that neighborhood because any crime that those gates would prevent is already so low, it doesn't really matter. However, it probably does provide more privacy from unwanted traffic. Other than that, I was really surprised to see a gate there. I would look at the Standard Pacific Grove homes in Ranch at Brushy Creek as well in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 AM

23 posts, read 34,484 times
Work location is of E Hwy 290.

Thanks for the feedback on the gates and the fact that it is not needed for safety.

With a child with special needs every move comes with major set backs and many IEP meetings with schools and therapist which we would love to avoid for our daughter. Hence the need for a permanent location.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 AM

What about Arbor Place in Round Rock. Its by Highland Homes? Brushy Creek Elementary Schools..

Old 11-25-2013, 12:08 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshmesh View Post
What about Arbor Place in Round Rock. Its by Highland Homes? Brushy Creek Elementary Schools..
It feeds into McNeil so the High School is arguably better than Ranch At Brushy Creek. The Elementary Schools and Middle Schools are basically the same. It's very possible that Ranch At Brushy Creek could feed into a new High School the way that area keeps growing by the time your kids are that age.

You're basically comparing a BMW to a Mercedes right now. Both are good, but you'll probably need to visit both to visually determine which one is better for your family. Ranch at Brushy Creek has two community pools. I'm not sure if Arbor Place has a community pool or has one planned. If that's important to you, it would be worth investigating first. Hot summers in Austin and young kids means that you will need to find swimming pools somewhere if you don't plan on putting one in your backyard.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Almost positive that Arbor Place does not have a community pool, just about all the lots are huge by today's standards and would easily fit one. When we were home shopping a couple years back, we looked long and hard at Arbor Place.

With that work location, I'd shy away from R@BC - you'd be looking at a solid 45 minute drive every morning, if you're lucky.

Might want to take a look at Highland Horizon as well.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Arbor Place doesn't have a pool but there is talk about possibly building one.

Husband is currently in Austin visiting those communities as well as looking at pre-owned homes in Walsh ranch and other communities in Round Rock. So truly any tip will help.

Will for sure look at Highland Horizon

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
East 290. (I knew it)....& the discussion is gated communities in CP?

500-550K to spend, schools are important, possibly from the sub-continent.

This conversation is over....you'll end up in a Canyon Vista MS / WWHS feeder. And it's as close (or closer) to Manor as any of the any of the other options. & will hit all the items on your checklist.

(fab schools, in austin, rrisd, near the domain (where you might be working), not too bad a commute to Manor, lots of Indian tech families).

CP & Steiner are great. Not sure why they're part of the discussion though.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
East 290. (I knew it)....& the discussion is gated communities in CP?

500-550K to spend, schools are important, possibly from the sub-continent.

This conversation is over....you'll end up in a Canyon Vista MS / WWHS feeder. And it's as close (or closer) to Manor as any of the any of the other options. & will hit all the items on your checklist.

(fab schools, in austin, rrisd, near the domain (where you might be working), not too bad a commute to Manor, lots of Indian tech families).

CP & Steiner are great. Not sure why they're part of the discussion though.
Agree with hound on all points.

And I cannot imagine living up there with a commute to East 290. I am from the Bay Area too and had the same mindset about traffic coming here -- 'oh, anything will be an improvement because I'm accustomed to BA traffic and am already used to 45 min to and from'. Boy, was I wrong.

There may not be as many cars here as the BA but there are A LOT fewer roads here too, they are all smaller and can't handle as much and there are a lot fewer options for backup routes.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Not sure what to get out of the response hond109? I am a bit confused.. Are you saying that's not a good option for us?

and no we are not Indian and I am not in the tech industry(Stanford University). Husband is not an engineer..

I am sure you are trying to help but clearly I am not getting your point.

To Simplify..

Family of 4 moving from the Bay Area to Austin proper with 4 year old twins one with genetic disorder and needs great special education support through the public school system. Safety is a big concern due to very rare dx. Dad works near East 290 (not an engineer), mom will search later. Willing to commute if this will give better options for kids (Steiner ranch was on list as it was recommended for services at schools)

Thanks

Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM

49 posts, read 86,812 times
Hi OP,
I think the confusion is why would you choose Cedar Park if your husband's workplace is on 290 East. From Ranch at Brushy Creek to the 290 East is very far. However, another option is to take 130 south, depends on where on 290 he is.
From your response, it seems that selecting a school that meets your kids education is more important than the commute. Since your kids require special education, making school choice from afar is very difficult. The school that rated 10 may not be good for your kids as many of them are very big and may not have enough focus on special education program. Have you considered getting a temporary lease in Austin (3-6 month term)so you can move here, spent sometime to know the area then make an inform decision? You can find a large/safe/very nice apartment (3-br, ~1300SQF) for under $2K/month near the school you like (or any where in the summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin