Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
I was just in Boston for two weeks. I go back at least once per year. And it's the same as always. I didn't move away that long ago, FYI. I will put my 30 years experience growing up in Boston against your opinion on this subject any day. Boston is an old city, with old families, and old values. It will take more than a few years for that to change.
Hm...well, you certainly sound like a Bostonian. Neighborhoods are very insulated there anyway, so they don't lose their culture, but a neighborhood is just a neighborhood. (No notice of Southie or Eastie though, right?) Personal experience is more subjective than written law though. In any case, this was about LA and Austin. LA is in California and Austin is in Texas, and as I said before state politics affects city politics.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 12-03-2013 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Hm...well, you certainly sound like a Bostonian. Neighborhoods are very insulated there anyway, so they don't lose their culture, but a neighborhood is just a neighborhood. (No notice of Southie or Eastie though, right?) Personal experience is more subjective than written law though. In any case, this was about LA and Austin. LA is in California and Austin is in Texas, and as I said before state politics affects city politics.
Just because you vote democrat, doesn't mean you are liberal. There is a big difference there. And ultimately, I think that's where you're hung up. Again, I experienced living in Boston for 30 years, and going on 10 years in Austin. I think I'm qualified to state an opinion on this subject without you derailing the entire thread to tell me how wrong I am.

The OP would be very happy here, based on what her and her husband are looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersocks View Post
$400K in a liberal neighborhood with good public schools from elementary through high school. We also prefer a small town vibe or a walking neighborhood with trees, cultural diversity, and creative types, and friendly people. We are aging artists/ hipsters (sort of) in our 40s with three young kids, 3, 5 and 7.
Frankly it sounds like they already live here.

Last edited by petro; 12-03-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 06:40 AM

83 posts, read 99,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Plenty of liberal folks in Austin! But in a more libertarian sense.

Although I have always thought I'd live the rest of my life in Austin, if open carry passes, I might start looking elsewhere.

OP, walkability will be the toughest thing to find. You need a great realtor and about 3-4 days to visit and check out specific neighborhoods. Have you considered Oregon?
Oregon is grey, cold, the schools are some of the worst in the nation (last I checked, a few months ago), and there are no jobs, unless you are in Portland, for the most part. Portland is REALLY grey, most of the year. This is why I am moving to Austin, next month. hahaha It is very liberal though!

After LA weather and sunshine, It could be quite depressing. People have to buy happy lights and take vitamin D supplements to combat depression and fatigue.....not just a handfull, but a large portion of the population. Happy lights are selling like crazy, at my local Costco. I lived in San Diego, for a few years, and moving back to Oregon (in 2003) is something I have regretted tremendously. I did get a good college education in OR though.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
90% of folks in greater austin & 70% of texans in general could care less who someone dates....& supports a gay person's right to be just as miserable in a state of matrimony as the rest of us.

The above percentages would probably be similar (on decriminalizing MJ) if it was put to a vote that MJ could be sold (& taxed at a state level) to adults at CVS next to Marlboros.

Does the rest of the country really think folks run around here with pitchforks?? What a bunch of clueless putzes. They need to turn off msnbc.
Well said. There's a LOT of stereotyping of Texas on the part of people who haven't a clue but who think that a state of over 26,000,000 people covering over 266,000 sq. miles is all alike and/or who really need someone to stereotype.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Austin is just to small to think its similar to L.A. L.A. is 3 million in the city vs. about 750,000 in Austin. Metro L.A. is 10-12 million vs. 1.5 million for Austin. Both have reputation for being laid back but L.A. is a renowned world class destination while Austin is not even the biggest area in its home state. If you seek a slower pace of life then I recommend Austin. Plus you have things to do in San Antonio 60-70 miles south, and Houston or Dallas are within a 3 hour or less drive.

I like Austin myself though I'm in metro Dallas. I would give ATX a thumbs up. Its growing. Its got four things that make for stability:
1. State Capital - i.e. steady employment to feed business and neighborhoods
2. A great Public University - Texas
3. A big center for information technology, an industry any city would want. EBay, Facebook, Dell, IBM, Samsung and Apple to name a few all have major presences there. The only chip plants Samsung has outside of its home country of Korea are in Austin. They have spent over $13billion in Austin Apple purchased 70 acres in the summer of 2012 and is building a campus.
4. a touristy destination and driving distance to two big cities known for Fortune 500 companies - Houston & Dallas.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
@notpantz, Austin is not humid. Go to ANY city on the gulf coast. ...THAT is humidity.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Austin is just to small to think its similar to L.A. L.A. is 3 million in the city vs. about 750,000 in Austin. Metro L.A. is 10-12 million vs. 1.5 million for Austin. Both have reputation for being laid back but L.A. is a renowned world class destination while Austin is not even the biggest area in its home state. If you seek a slower pace of life then I recommend Austin. Plus you have things to do in San Antonio 60-70 miles south, and Houston or Dallas are within a 3 hour or less drive.

I like Austin myself though I'm in metro Dallas. I would give ATX a thumbs up. Its growing. Its got four things that make for stability:
1. State Capital - i.e. steady employment to feed business and neighborhoods
2. A great Public University - Texas
3. A big center for information technology, an industry any city would want. EBay, Facebook, Dell, IBM, Samsung and Apple to name a few all have major presences there. The only chip plants Samsung has outside of its home country of Korea are in Austin. They have spent over $13billion in Austin Apple purchased 70 acres in the summer of 2012 and is building a campus.
4. a touristy destination and driving distance to two big cities known for Fortune 500 companies - Houston & Dallas.
Actually Austin has 850,000+ in the city and a metro of 1.8 million. But yes Austin is nothing like LA and I'm glad.

Last edited by JoninATX; 12-08-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 01:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
@notpantz, Austin is not humid. Go to ANY city on the gulf coast. ...THAT is humidity.
Austin's humidity runs on the high side of the USAverage, so it is entirely reasonable to say Austin is humid. There are other places that are worse than Austin, but also many other places that are much less humid than Austin.

Austin has significantly higher humidity than LA

Old 12-08-2013, 01:09 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallieF View Post
Oregon is grey, cold, the schools are some of the worst in the nation (last I checked, a few months ago), and there are no jobs, unless you are in Portland, for the most part. Portland is REALLY grey, most of the year. This is why I am moving to Austin, next month. hahaha It is very liberal though!
On the other hand, Oregon is tremendously green and beautiful. Much more beautiful than Texas/Austin IMHO. When it is sunny there, it really is an amazing place. The Farmer's Markets blow the ones in Austin away by a long shot, and the walkability of DT Portland is fantastic when compared to DT Austin.

Moving from Portland to Austin you are trading grey, cold, and rainy, for hot, hot, and brown. Austin does have Portland beat in the jobs department though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin