Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 05:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,816 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am single man in his early 30's and I am looking to move to the greater Austin area. I need some suggestions as to which areas I should try to target. Here are my details:

1. I love nightlife but I don't think I can afford to live anywhere close to downtown Austin.
2. I am coming from a house and would like to have one again, apartment just isn't an option for me. Condo/Townhome perhaps. I would like to have at least a 1100 sqft house that doesn't cost me more than 150k.
3. I work from home so I will not have to commute every day.

I have been looking at surrounding areas like Cedar Park, Round Rock and Pflugerville but all I see on the forum are suggestions to not live out there. As always, thanks for any and all input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 AM

6 posts, read 7,816 times
I do see some condos at Mueller. Does anyone have any experience or information about that area of Austin. Looks like a bit more pricey but I can go as high as 210k, but I would like to stay lower than that.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Why are you moving to Austin?

Where from?

Outside of nightlife (which is a very vague notion on its own) what are you wanting nearby in terms of amenities and activities?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgut3 View Post
Hello, I am single man in his early 30's and I am looking to move to the greater Austin area. I need some suggestions as to which areas I should try to target. Here are my details:

1. I love nightlife but I don't think I can afford to live anywhere close to downtown Austin.
2. I am coming from a house and would like to have one again, apartment just isn't an option for me. Condo/Townhome perhaps. I would like to have at least a 1100 sqft house that doesn't cost me more than 150k.

I have been looking at surrounding areas like Cedar Park, Round Rock and Pflugerville but all I see on the forum are suggestions to not live out there. As always, thanks for any and all input.
If you don't need to commute. (thanks for telling us your work location) You want a home/townhome with 1200-1500 sq ft, why not somewhere very near the choo choo. So you can access DT 2-3 times a week with ease? (not sure how late it comes back though).

Draw a one - two mile circle around each of the train stops. Also, tell us what your budget is. (and i only see a handful of people saying not to live in Pville, RR or CP.....they are nice places.....may or may not be the best fit for you, but all are nice).

Why not rent for a year (to get your bearings)...you don't have kids/schools to deal with?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:

Travis County Homes For Sale :: Travis County, TX Real Estate :: Homesnap

Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 AM

193 posts, read 437,821 times
Cedar Park is a great area to live in, but the commute into downtown Austin is killer during morning/evening rush hour. Even though you work from home right now, things may change in the future. Also, it's very family oriented and would probably not be a good fit for a single, 30 year old man. You may want to look into Barton Hills, Bouldin, South River City, Zilker, or Travis Heights. Good luck with your home search!!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 AM

269 posts, read 428,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Flake View Post
Cedar Park is a great area to live in, but the commute into downtown Austin is killer during morning/evening rush hour. Even though you work from home right now, things may change in the future. Also, it's very family oriented and would probably not be a good fit for a single, 30 year old man. You may want to look into Barton Hills, Bouldin, South River City, Zilker, or Travis Heights. Good luck with your home search!!
His budget is 150K, and he wants atleast 1100sqft- there is no way his budget allows him to live in any of these areas. There are 3 condo's listed in 78704 for under 150K, but all are 600 square feet and under. The commute from Cedar Park to downtown isn't great- but suburbs are what he's looking at with his price point.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:40 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
His budget is 150K, and he wants atleast 1100sqft- there is no way his budget allows him to live in any of these areas. There are 3 condo's listed in 78704 for under 150K, but all are 600 square feet and under. The commute from Cedar Park to downtown isn't great- but suburbs are what he's looking at with his price point.
But he works out of his home (no commute). Wants to go downtown to party. Any place around a train stop might be a good fit (unless the return train trip deadline doesn't allow for a late enough party).

Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
I do see some condos at Mueller. Does anyone have any experience or information about that area of Austin. Looks like a bit more pricey but I can go as high as 210k, but I would like to stay lower than that.
Mueller has some options in that range but only through the affordable homes program and you would have to qualify based on income. If you do qualify its one of the best deals going right now in Austin, great location, well built homes for a very reasonable price. Snapshot of what might be available here:

http://www.muelleraustin.com/homes/a...es-now-selling

Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Since you're alright with a smaller home, I would look in 78729 around Anderson Mill. A lot of people consider it to be pretty far from downtown, but at least you're closer in than the suburbs mentioned above and the resale potential is there as well as more tech businesses keep setting up shop around there. I think it's still one of the better values with an actual Austin address North of the river at least.

Of course, like any other area in Austin right now, it's a seller's market so be prepared to jump on any really good home that shows up for sale (ie. make sure that you are pre-approved for financing and are ready to put in a strong offer.) And I just purchased a home in Cedar Park, so I'm not biased against the suburbs, but I do have kids. If I was in your situation, 78729 would be my choice in your price range. Maybe someone more familiar with South Austin could recommend an equivalent area on that side of the river? I would stay away from condos, but would consider townhomes. The condos here have the same issues as apartments (thin walls, not enough visitor parking, etc.) Townhomes aren't as bad because you don't have anyone above or below you.

Edit: And there are homes that would fall under the $200K line in 78729, but not really under $150K. Since you stated $210K is your absolute max, you should probably get that $150K number out of your head. $150K just doesn't get you much of anything in the Austin area.

Last edited by mark311; 12-11-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin