Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 65,375 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
First off thanks to all the kind souls who take time to address us out of towner questions here!Am grateful for your information.

As stated in an earlier post, I'm looking into a relocation to the Austin area and have been looking some online real estate sights, and have taken in poster considerations about the areas west of Mopac - and have noticed a lot of condos/housing for sale in the Lago Vista area and wondered if there might be a reason - hopefully its not due to a downturn in lifestyle there and locals fleeing for higher ground (lololol)..or maybe it's just investors starting to sense a change in market and unloading (that one's ok by me! )..I've not visited the area yet (hope to this next week), so I don't have a feel but would like to ask the folks here as to opinions of what Lago Vista is like.

Thanks again a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 01:53 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Default About Lago Vista

Hey Soup,

Don't know much about Lago Vista and haven't heard anything negative about real estate in that area. But, it is quite a haul from Austin and from the airport. I know you said you do a lot of traveling for work so if being closer to the airport is necessary, Lago Vista may not be for you.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
Nice, quaint little town in the greenbelt to the west of Austin, lots of hills around and the shores of Lake Travis at the doorstep. Very beautiful and scenic. Limited in choices for nightlife for singles, you'll end up at Oasis, Iguana Grill or some place like that about 20 minutes away, but the bonus is you'll definitely have a buffet of young Texas lovelies to feast your eyes on everyday.
I don't know that there are a lot of rental properties there, but I do know that what's up for sale is pricey. If it's for sale it isn't for any other reason than people tired of the 'invasion' of their little burg and them looking to cash in before it gets too crazy to handle. Growth is inevitable, but this is one of those areas that's been in the 'family' for generations so the locals are understably pertubed by getting caught unawares. They're not bitter or mean about it, they're Texans after all. I have friends/co-workers that live out there and they seem extremely pleased with the place, but can't wait to see the roads improved.
If you'll be commuting to Austin, you'll enjoy the drive..Scenic, winding country roads,as you leave Lago Vista but you'll hate the traffic...You go through progressively larger cities as you come in and pick up more commuter traffic. It will get old if patience is lacking.
The winters are pretty mild here in CenTex but there are the days where you'll have freeze warnings and if there's any rain, you may not care for the scenic drive as the roads will ice over.
If you're a nature buff into wildlife, flora, and fauna you'll be in demi-heaven. If you're afraid of the 'critters' as I've heard them called on this board, you'll think twice about living out there. The ladies will laugh at you too.
You're a guy and your neccessities of life will be readily available close by but if you're metro-sexual, never fear, Lakeway, Cedar Park, Austin and Round Rock are close enough to indulge your whims.
Word of caution here. We are in a drought period so the Lake isn't as majestic as we're used to. It's about 50 feet below it's normal levels at this time so you'll see a lot of islands. For those of us that are used to the majesty, we know it will come back when the rain situation improves. Right now it's all being wasted in El Paso for some reason. I think the rain god lost his marbles.
Anyway, if you're visiting this week, don't be too concerned with the current low level of the lake.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:14 PM

40 posts, read 221,890 times
HI there -
We are looking at places to retire in a couple of years and thinking of Lago Vista. We lived in San Antonio before and would really like to return to Texas - the Austin area and the Lake Travis area seem so beautiful.

We love the Oasis - so good to hear that is not far away.

However, it would be nice not to have to drive a long way to find a grocery store, coffee shop or places to shop. Does anyone know if Lago Vista has a "downtown" or main street with basic shopping, restaurants and small businesses?

Any info would be appreciated! Marla

Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
We drove around Lago Vista a few days ago. We didn't find a downtowny area (not saying there isn't one, but it wasn't obviously coming in off the main road). They did have a business district on or just off the 1431 that had a Sonic, a couple of gas stations, a CVS going in, and another new strip mall, it appeared. There were lots of signs for where the resort and camping areas were, and we saw several small family owned businessed in the area (dry cleaners and such). Maybe the downtown is off the main drag? It seemed to be a sleepy little town. We were checking out the Hollows and the Island on Lake Travis for my in laws. What became immediately obvious to us was that the Island on Lake Travis condos, which should have stunning lake views because it's on an islandy/peninsula thing, is actually smack dab in the middle of the more dried up portions of the Lake. So the views aren't really views at this point in time. The Hollows looked to be more of upscale cottage-y cabin places, they are just starting to build them, lots of trees and from what I could tell, no direct lake access (but we did not stop for info as we ran out of time).

The outskirts of Cedar Park were probably a 15 minute drive or so from Lago Vista - not too far, if there isn't a grocery to be found within the town itself!

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:48 PM

92 posts, read 673,615 times
Default Lago Vista and FM`431

Only one way in or out of Lago to Austin: FM 1431.
In years past it has had notoriety for being a dangerous road, with an inordinate amount of fatalities.
I do believe they've straightened out the "dead man's curve" on 1431,
but still not the most pleasant to commute to get to Hwy 183,
another, frequently unpleasant commute, especially during the long-lasting rush hours.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:25 AM

Default The Oasis Close to Lago Vista?

I may be wrong but I don't see how the Oasis can be considered close to Lago Vista. I got curious when I read that so I mapped it out and it's about a 45 minute drive. I know there's another waterfront restaurant in Lago Vista called Shades that's supposed to be a lot of fun. Haven't been there though.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 AM

92 posts, read 673,615 times
Default Oasis "close" to Lago V?

Maybe as the crow flies...

Or if you have a boat.

From Lago, you'll have to travel 1431 to 183,
thence south to 620, thence west on 620....
perhaps adding up to about a 45 minute drive.

Either that, or it's "crow, crow, crow your boat."

Old 10-16-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Rock Climbing Anyone?

Yeah but even if you have a boat what are you gonna do once you get there - scale the cliff to get up to the restaurant??

Sorry, couldn't resist...now back to the original question, Soup did you ever visit?? Would love to hear your thoughts about Austin if you did visit.

And Marla, I've only been to Lago Vista once and I don't remember it having any kind of downtown area. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,923 times
Hi Folks,

I live and work in the Lago Vista area and can answer some of your questions.

The Oasis is about 30 minutes away if you take the short cut. FM 1431 to Lime Creek Road to Anderson Mill to Dies RAnch Road to FM 620.

Lago Vista is getting a new Super-S grocery store and Ace Hardware Store. Scheduled to open in March of 2007. Another retail center has broken ground and will have a furniture store, two restaurants and other shops.

Lago Vista does not have a downtown area because it was developed in the early 70's, so it does not have an old downtown like most Texas small towns.

There are about 5 new developments on Lake Travis very close to Lago Vista. They include 2 hotels and condos. So, the area is growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin