Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:05 PM

433 posts, read 660,476 times

Advertisements

Why do they do this? I've heard of something called Austitude and its true

Urban Dictionary: Austitude

The display of an attitude by Austinites (residents of Austin, TX) that their city is nearly perfect and without problems. Unlike Dallitude (which is associated with the display of wealth), Austitude is associated with the belief the city of Austin and people in it are unique, smarter, and more advanced than the rest of Texas and southern USA. This flawed kind of thinking is usually associated with down-talking other cities and ignoring the fact that other cities may excel in areas Austin does not.
Example A: Justifying living in Austin by saying that Houston has too much traffic and is too hot, while failing to admit Austin has the exact same problems. This is display of Austitude.

Example B: Trash-talking about Houston (i.e. it is all concrete, has no culture and no positive attributes). This is display of Austitude. In reality Houston has forests of tall pine trees Austin does not, world-class arts/culture Austin does not, and a great restaurant scene Austin does not. (Dallas also has superior culture to Austin).

Example C: Saying Austin is so unique and has many things other Texas cities do not. In reality, Austin has many things borrowed from other cities such as chain restaurants, architecture, even the Art Car Parade (which has been going on in Houston for much longer). This is display of Austitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 04:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
What proof do you have that any of these things are common in Austin? I have never heard anyone say these things so this looks like nothing more then Austin envy and bashing to me.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,754 times
my sister lives in austin & and shes told me herself she wouldnt ever move to houston. also, ive worked in austin before and one comment i got was "yeah, san antonio is lame, but not as lame as houston". lol

houston isnt the greatest city in the world, but neither is austin how they make it seem. i enjoy both though and i myself prefer going to austin when they have all the cool music events going on. but little things like lakes and trails is something i think is a little hyped. i love the hill country area though but its not restricted to just austin. i would pick san antonio over austin. the bike lanes im not too impressed with either.

the only city i dont hear many austin people talk bad about about is dallas. not everyone in austin is like that though, but when im in town hanging out or working & i tell people i live in houston, 70% of their replies are, "ohhh" or "ughhheww".

Old 12-12-2013, 04:35 PM

404 posts, read 712,086 times
In the past, Austin marketed itself around live music and hippies.

Then it became HUGE commercialized concerts, hipsters and techies, and the best real estate opportunities in the US.
Its a giant magnet for people that believe hype without objective thinking.

The core demographic is mostly transplants that carry a mindset that conflicts with big oil, hardcore religious nuts, and small town culture

(then on a road trip, they see it and realize THIS IS TEXAS)

Old 12-12-2013, 04:35 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
What proof do you have that any of these things are common in Austin? I have never heard anyone say these things so this looks like nothing more then Austin envy and bashing to me.
It's in the urban dictionary so it must be right/prevalent....Lol. I don't see the dallistude that everyone talks about since moving to Dallas/Plano three years ago. People are people everywhere you go it seems to me. I just got so depressed with the ice this week that I wanted to move to Austin, but have to give it serious thought because we have middle school kids. The posts are an interesting read and have helped for our future decision. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,875,751 times
The urban dictionary definition was written by a Houston booster, obviously. Those are the only folks who for some reason claim that Austin stole their "Art Car Parade"... but I've never seen such a parade here.

Houstonians bash Austin and Dallas plenty, Dallasites bash Houston, etc. Just a typical city-vs-city thing. Means nothing.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM

269 posts, read 428,219 times
Because Austin has a rep for being liberal and Texas is well, Texas. Austin is seen as the bright blue spot in a red state

Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM

300 posts, read 414,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Why do they do this? I've heard of something called Austitude and its true

Urban Dictionary: Austitude

The display of an attitude by Austinites (residents of Austin, TX) that their city is nearly perfect and without problems. Unlike Dallitude (which is associated with the display of wealth), Austitude is associated with the belief the city of Austin and people in it are unique, smarter, and more advanced than the rest of Texas and southern USA. This flawed kind of thinking is usually associated with down-talking other cities and ignoring the fact that other cities may excel in areas Austin does not.
Example A: Justifying living in Austin by saying that Houston has too much traffic and is too hot, while failing to admit Austin has the exact same problems. This is display of Austitude.

Example B: Trash-talking about Houston (i.e. it is all concrete, has no culture and no positive attributes). This is display of Austitude. In reality Houston has forests of tall pine trees Austin does not, world-class arts/culture Austin does not, and a great restaurant scene Austin does not. (Dallas also has superior culture to Austin).

Example C: Saying Austin is so unique and has many things other Texas cities do not. In reality, Austin has many things borrowed from other cities such as chain restaurants, architecture, even the Art Car Parade (which has been going on in Houston for much longer). This is display of Austitude.
I have lived at Austin since 80s. This is the only city in Texas I want to call home. But, I don't hate other cities. However, the summer is way too hot in Austin and I need to spend the summer at west coast when I retire.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM

416 posts, read 581,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Why do they do this?
Because they are insecure. Austin is the smallest major city in Texas and it lacks many big-city amenities. But at least they got food trucks!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM

57 posts, read 124,971 times
I was born in Houston, family moved to Brenham when I was 3 yrs old, grew up in Brenham and hated it...moved to Austin when I was 20 and I can honestly say I have no desire to live in any other city in TX but here. Possibly San Antonio....but I'm moving to Florida next June and gladly happy to get out of Texas period. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin