Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 PM

18 posts, read 18,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy the Plasterer View Post
You can't toll existing lanes on Mopac, or any other already built and paid for highway. It is against federal law to do so. Only new lanes, and new highways can be tolled.

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/24/55/06.../0/622x350.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy the Plasterer View Post
You can't toll existing lanes on Mopac, or any other already built and paid for highway. It is against federal law to do so. Only new lanes, and new highways can be tolled.
From the DOT itself:

Under Title 23 of the United States Code (Highways), there is a general prohibition on the imposition of tolls on Federal-aid highways. However, Title 23 and other statutes have also carved out certain exceptions to this general prohibition through special programs. These programs allow tolling to generate revenue to support highway construction activities and/or enable the use of road pricing for congestion management. If Federal funds have been used or will be used on the highway, then the public authority responsible for the facility must qualify for toll authority under one of these Federal toll programs.

So it certainly is possible given that the tolls would be used for "congestion management". And notice that is says "Federal-aid" highways, not Federal highways, another key distinction. The law really is in place to prevent municipalities from imposing tolls on existing highways/lanes as a means to simply increase revenue.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
From this mornings Statesman article:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...atesman_launch

Quote:
It looked at eight scenarios of what might happen with the area’s transportation system. That included the much-discussed swapping of I-35 and Texas 130 on the metro area’s eastern edge, making I-35 through Austin a tollway while making Texas 130 free and redubbing it I-35.

Aside from being legally impossible at this point and politically unfeasible at probably any point in the future, the study shows that such a flip-flop wouldn’t even help.

Trips home to northern and southern suburbs on the former I-35, paying tolls, would still take two and three hours. The reason: 86 percent of all trips on I-35 are locally generated, the study says. No one looking to go from Travis Heights to the Highland Mall area, for instance, would travel miles to the east and take the current Texas 130 even if it were free.
“There would appear to be no fix to I-35 congestion that includes (Texas) 130,” wrote Mike Heiligenstein, executive director of the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority, in a letter to the report’s authors this summer after seeing their findings. “All the exhaustive discussions that have centered on moving trucks to 130 are simply not realistic or attainable.”

Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Link is bad. Full article is available on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MobilityAuthority

I take issue with this, though:

"86 percent of all trips on I-35 are locally generated"

The 14 percent that aren't are going to be heavily slanted towards semis and large tractor trailers have a LOT more effect on a a transportation system than a simple car. If 130 could divert, say, 5 to 10 percent of trips and those trips are large trucks I don't see how that couldn't be beneficial.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post

The 14 percent that aren't are going to be heavily slanted towards semis and large tractor trailers have a LOT more effect on a a transportation system than a simple car. If 130 could divert, say, 5 to 10 percent of trips and those trips are large trucks I don't see how that couldn't be beneficial.
There ya go! Also, I've never heard of a sedan jack-knifing and shutting down IH35. Get the through trucks onto 130 !

Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post

two other issues:

1. Although I haven't seen it confirmed, I'm quite sure that "locally" is defined as everything from as far south at Buda to as far north as Georgetown. Folks living in Georgetown, Round Rock Pflugerville and far north Austin can easily be diverted onto either SH 130 or 183. 183 has more than sufficient capacity and can easily be re-engineered to be a freeway.

2. Removing 15% of the existing traffic off of IH35 would reduce congestion far in excess of 15% because IH 35 would be operating within its design capacity and can move much more traffic this way.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 AM

102 posts, read 156,760 times
The remaining 86% of traffic on I-35 will also undergo behavior modification in the form of consolidated trips and carpooling. It could take another 10% of the cars off I-35. Imagine the remaining 85% of traffic contracting into say, 75% because they have to pay tolls? Swapping I-35 would reduce traffic by 25% or more as a net result. I guarantee that a 25% reduction in traffic would create a free-flowing I-35.

What irks me is that the long-term outlook isn't good, but what they CAN do, they refuse to do. At this point, if swapping I-35 and SH-130 is the best option we have, THEN DO IT!!!!!

Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberguber View Post
The remaining 86% of traffic on I-35 will also undergo behavior modification in the form of consolidated trips and carpooling. It could take another 10% of the cars off I-35. Imagine the remaining 85% of traffic contracting into say, 75% because they have to pay tolls? Swapping I-35 would reduce traffic by 25% or more as a net result. I guarantee that a 25% reduction in traffic would create a free-flowing I-35.

What irks me is that the long-term outlook isn't good, but what they CAN do, they refuse to do. At this point, if swapping I-35 and SH-130 is the best option we have, THEN DO IT!!!!!
And your justification for this prognostication is what, exactly? It might be what you would LIKE to see happen, but what makes you think that people will modify their behavior in this way just because the two roads are swapped?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And your justification for this prognostication is what, exactly? It might be what you would LIKE to see happen, but what makes you think that people will modify their behavior in this way just because the two roads are swapped?

Make people pay to use a road, and you'll see carpooling. It's not rocket science.

You live along SH130, don't you? Getting protective of it, aren't you?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Default What would happen to the SH130 corridor if swapped with I-35?

To the area, and it's development?

Would it go downhill? I get the feeling that people living along SH130 are being protective of the tollroad because they know it's desirable, and that a paying toll helps keep out riff-raff out of their area. This talk off swapping the two probably infuriates them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin