Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 PM

112 posts, read 280,073 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with solar tubes? My kitchen is in the middle of the floorplan and has no windows. Next to it, the living room has large windows, but it faces North, so we don't get a lot of natural light inside and I've been thinking about ways to improve this. I've been looking at solar tubes on the internet, but I'd like to hear someone's first-hand feedback. I wonder how much light I could get from one tube, or whether I should consider two...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:06 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
What's above the area where the 'light' would be installed? I'm not crazy about more holes in the roof than necessary; but DW's clients have them in some newer and some older homes. On a sunny day, it's like having a 300 watt incandescent fixture on the ceiling. YMMV and all that.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:36 AM

112 posts, read 280,073 times
I just checked and it's not looking great... My only option is the North facing side of the roof. It would be just a few feet from the top, but still, I don't feel like looking North for sunlight :-)

I have a big playroom above the kitchen, so I could only bring the tubes down to a 4-5 ft edge of the kitchen ceiling and even that would be tricky, because this area is right under the spot where the North side of the roof meets the East and West ones. I'd prefer going with the rigid tubes, because they are more reflective, as opposed to the flexible ones, but it doesn't look like I can...

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
I have them - they bring a tremendous amount of light into the center stairwell - so much so that we rarely, if ever, use lights during the day.

As for leak issues - none if properly installed. These are not the same thing as sky lights which are notoriously known for leaks.

As for placement - I'm pretty sure they can direct the tube just about anywhere since the tube itself does not need to be vertical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin