Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:26 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
State workers didn't have Monday off btw
Ran into several shopping at Central Market - they had the day off. . .btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 07:36 AM

269 posts, read 428,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Ran into several shopping at Central Market - they had the day off. . .btw.
State workers worked Monday but have Tue/Wed/Thur off and an optional workday on Friday. If a State worker was off on Monday its because they took paid time off BTW

Old 12-24-2013, 08:21 AM

319 posts, read 737,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Apparently you need to spend more time on SlowPac or I-35 at 3:30 PM every weekday because it's always congested, especially the closer you get to downtown or ABIA. SloPac will get worse when TEXDOT starts the "managed lanes" (i.e. toll lane) project next Spring.

Now if I had a train that would take me from South Austin to Downtown (oh wait, that's not going to happen in my life time).
Nope... drive in it every day around same time... still submit that all the posts here about other roads - Lamar, Burnet, etc. were quite different than the roads I was on yesterday... anyone says that traffic wasnt unusually bad on Mopac and SOUTH downtown yesterday - from lets say 6th street to Barton Springs - areas of 360, 290, etc. is smoking something funny...

Worst traffic day i have seen in a long time in central/south austin... today - ghost town... i just posted this because i was amazed at how many people worked on the 23rd... most of our employees take that day off... and i think that there was something about people working AND everyone shopping that made it a very nasty traffic today... next year i will plan to stay inside on the 23rd...

Merry Christmas Austin...

Old 12-24-2013, 06:22 PM

249 posts, read 492,106 times
Going to the San Marcos outlet center today at 3:30 reminded me why I didn't move anywhere along I-35 when I decided to buy. East 71 traffic from downtown is bad 'til just after the 130 interchange, but is typically smooth sailing all the way to Bastrop apart from your usual left-lane bandits.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:29 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
We desperately need a better mass transit system. I feel bad for all of y'all dealing with this horrible traffic day in and day out. I'm lucky to live in a place where I can bike and conveniently take the bus everywhere I need to go.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:29 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
Nope... drive in it every day around same time... still submit that all the posts here about other roads - Lamar, Burnet, etc. were quite different than the roads I was on yesterday... anyone says that traffic wasnt unusually bad on Mopac and SOUTH downtown yesterday - from lets say 6th street to Barton Springs - areas of 360, 290, etc. is smoking something funny...

Worst traffic day i have seen in a long time in central/south austin... today - ghost town... i just posted this because i was amazed at how many people worked on the 23rd... most of our employees take that day off... and i think that there was something about people working AND everyone shopping that made it a very nasty traffic today... next year i will plan to stay inside on the 23rd...

Merry Christmas Austin...
I don't agree but I have my road bias and you have your experience.

Either way, it won't improve and I will still pay for a train that travels from Leander to 4th and Trinity.

Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:44 AM

404 posts, read 712,108 times
a few years ago, downtown was do-able in terms of gridlock.

that time has passed. its a suckers game now. i don't want to have anything to do with it. i've ranted and blown up dozens of times... and now i've let go. they can have it... I have no qualms letting go of downtown Austin, or anywhere the clusters around it form. Adios crowds and traffic... I'll stay in the suburbs or even go further out if need be.

we ventured to south congress on friday night... The trail of lights (which i avoided this year... last year was shoulder to shoulder crowds and epic gnarly traffic) ended up blocking that entire area and the frontage road was a loop. it took us 45 minutes to get from anderson/burnet to home slice on south congress... at 10pm on a Friday Night!

IF YOU THINK ITS BAD NOW, WAIT TILL 2014!!!
introducing the new word of the year: Mopacocalypse

Old 12-25-2013, 07:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
a few years ago, downtown was do-able in terms of gridlock.

that time has passed. its a suckers game now. i don't want to have anything to do with it. i've ranted and blown up dozens of times... and now i've let go. they can have it... I have no qualms letting go of downtown Austin, or anywhere the clusters around it form. Adios crowds and traffic... I'll stay in the suburbs or even go further out if need be.

we ventured to south congress on friday night... The trail of lights (which i avoided this year... last year was shoulder to shoulder crowds and epic gnarly traffic) ended up blocking that entire area and the frontage road was a loop. it took us 45 minutes to get from anderson/burnet to home slice on south congress... at 10pm on a Friday Night!

IF YOU THINK ITS BAD NOW, WAIT TILL 2014!!!
introducing the new word of the year: Mopacocalypse
And this is the unintended consequence of the "let's revitalize downtown" movement that went WAY too far, in my opinion, and still is. They've "revitalized" it to the point that it's become a nightmare for many people who used to go there who now avoid it like the plague and only go anywhere near it if they can't possibly avoid it. Thus, of course, inadvertently promoting the "sprawl" that some of the very ones promoting "let's everybody live downtown, it'll be great" claim to hate.

The old "if some is good, a whole hell of a lot must be awesome!" fallacy.

Downtown, by the way, traditionally has been the river to 19th (now MLK) and I35 to Lamar. UT has traditionally been just north of downtown.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 AM

319 posts, read 737,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And this is the unintended consequence of the "let's revitalize downtown" movement that went WAY too far, in my opinion, and still is. They've "revitalized" it to the point that it's become a nightmare for many people who used to go there who now avoid it like the plague and only go anywhere near it if they can't possibly avoid it. Thus, of course, inadvertently promoting the "sprawl" that some of the very ones promoting "let's everybody live downtown, it'll be great" claim to hate.

The old "if some is good, a whole hell of a lot must be awesome!" fallacy.

Downtown, by the way, traditionally has been the river to 19th (now MLK) and I35 to Lamar. UT has traditionally been just north of downtown.
Well that is one view point... I dont particularly disagree with it, but I feel even more strongly about blaming those that insisted on "keeping Austin weird" and building no infrastructure... talk about the pinnacle of "dead right"... I have friends and family that have lived here for decades and the honest ones will admit that they hosed us all... they voted against development, they wanted to "fight the power", so to speak...now they are sitting in gridlock traffic like everyone else because the people still came... and in a paradoxical kind of way, whatever solution we eventually end up with is likely to be uglier and more intrusive than if things had been planned/executed properly at the appropriate time, about 10-15 yrs ago...

Old 12-25-2013, 09:51 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Expect bumper to bumper traffic at night when the Trail of Lights is on. That's nothing new, for years.

But, that picture...I'll bet it's one person per car. If Austin keeps growing, no highway will keep up with the convenience of everyone pouring into town solo. As for staying in the suburbs, that's largely where that traffic comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin