Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Central Market has the best selection of any store by a wide margin (500 cheeses, etc) and their seafood and meat is absolutely the best. It is a little more expensive, but worth it.

The plastic bag rule is only in the city of Austin, so most of us don't have to worry about it.
Really?... 500 sku of cheese? Why don't I believe that?

This IS the Austin forum...why would you say MOST of 'us' don't shop in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 PM

207 posts, read 463,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Central Market has the best selection of any store by a wide margin (500 cheeses, etc) and their seafood and meat is absolutely the best. It is a little more expensive, but worth it.

The plastic bag rule is only in the city of Austin, so most of us don't have to worry about it.
Their fish and meat prices are much much higher than anywhere else in town with the possible exception of Whole Foods. I mean I agree it is great quality but still the prices are high, even for non organic/free-range/wild-caught stuff.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I don't know. They might. I mean, they might have twenty or thirty different goat cheeses, once you count every variety of 6 oz logs with peppers, herbs, pink peppercorns, chives, garlic, ... Five different gorgonzolas, etc,

Is it 500? Again, don't know, but it is a bunch.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Until March 1, you can pay the $1 fee at HEB and get your entire purchase in the disposable plastic bags. Have done it several times with big purchases, and love the stares you get wheeling your cart out.

And the ban DOES apply to certain paper bags as well - mainly those without handles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Not true. As I said earlier, at HEB you can pay $1 for your entire order, and get it in the single use plastic bags. Until 3/1.
I stopped in at the HEB on Lakeline and 183 - The only option for the $1 fee was paper bags. I asked. Perhaps what they "can" do is different from what they "do" do.

I won't shop there again, I'll stick to the HEB's and other markets where I can get paper or plastic at my request

Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I stopped in at the HEB on Lakeline and 183 - The only option for the $1 fee was paper bags. I asked. Perhaps what they "can" do is different from what they "do" do.

I won't shop there again, I'll stick to the HEB's and other markets where I can get paper or plastic at my request
Can't fault you for taking a position; but there aren't many options in that area. Target is fairly close but isn't a real grocery store...Cypress Creek Randalls is a fair bit away. If I were in that area and needed groceries, I'd work around the bag problem. Actually went to the Lakeline HEB a few weeks ago in our brand new(as in EMPTY) car...no bags as I would usually have. Without asking, the cashier loaded my goodies into the paper-handled bags...no charge... Maybe I just look helpless

Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Perhaps what they "can" do is different from what they "do" do.
Perhaps they were out of the plastic bags when you asked? Might be as sinister as you make it out to be. Bottom line is, you got your stuff when you forgot the reusable bags, right?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
That's what they advertise. I haven't counted.

Quote:
This IS the Austin forum...why would you say MOST of 'us' don't shop in Austin?
Yes, it's the Austin forum, but that's metropolitan Austin. The city of Austin has less than half of the population. So since more than half of us live outside the city, I would assume more than half of us shop outside the city.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Not sure it is at all HEBS, but the 3rd Friday of every month is 'get a free bag' day at ours.....

Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
For our family of 3:

I shop at equally at Walmart, Sprouts & HEB. (stop by each about once a month for targeted items).

My wife shops about 80/20 HEB & Randalls. (she stops by each about once a week....she also stops by Whole Paycheck about once a month)

Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
HEB for basics/household goods

Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Wheatsville Co-Op (independent grocery store) and downtown farmer's market for specialties, meat, and produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin