Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM

65 posts, read 75,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As for BBQ, first, what constitutes good BBQ differs from one part of the country to the other. Also, here, as well, there is great BBQ better sometimes than the "got my name in X magazine out of NYC" BBQ places that are out there) in places along the side of the road all around here. Drive around the country roads (which means you have to get out of the city, of course, WAY out) and find a place that you're scared to go in, and try them. Do that a few times, and you'll find some favorites. Also, drive down to Luling to City Market.

As for Yelp as a resource, it CAN be useful, but you have to read the reviews, and sometimes you have to read other reviews by the same reviewer (you can click through) to get a feel for if they like the same kind of food you do. Chowhound has an Austin board that can be useful; more foodies hang out there.

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that something you really miss from home isn't available in a new place, and find yourself a new favorite food that your new location is famous for. After all, isn't the entire point of moving to a new place that it is a NEW place, not the same old place you came from, with new delights? Or get someone from where you came from to do what I used to do occasionally for my son - I used to once in a while have some BBQ shipped to him when he lived in NYC (before Hill Country BBQ opened up up there). Now, he's back in Texas, but he makes his own and his brisket is right up there with the best of them. My daughter is in Canada and is following in his footsteps, learning to smoke her own brisket. There's ways around this problem - learn how to make the kind of pizza you miss and you just might get a whole new circle of friends!

Thanks for the advice, will do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 05:02 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,958 times
Quote:
Was staying in a hotel next to Lakeline mall and picked up a Pizza one night
also. Pizza was outstanding, but can't remember the name of the damn place! Just look deeper. I have had Pizza in NY, Italy, Chicago, etc and this Pizza was up there with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4fun View Post
Thanks! I'll have to do a search for pizza places next to lakeline mall!
He's probably talking about Saccones. (jersey style) Near the corner of Anderson Mill & 620. Kind of expensive but good.

Also pretty good Italian at Reale's (I think that's it). Family joint behind Tapatilla Taqueria (SW corner of 183 & Anderson Mill)

Last edited by hound 109; 01-08-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo43 View Post
As far as BBQ goes I am from Kansas City (which has great BBQ) and ate at SaltLick last week while visiting. Great BBQ and as good as anywhere (or better). Out in the boonies though. Live in Florida now and BBQ stinks here. Just saying....Was staying in a hotel next to Lakeline mall and picked up a Pizza one night also. Pizza was outstanding, but can't remember the name of the damn place! Just look deeper. I have had Pizza in NY, Italy, Chicago, etc and this Pizza was up there with them.
Reale's?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 PM

77 posts, read 124,007 times
Okay found it...Saccone's Pizza. Had "Cody's special"and loved it. NY Style pizza. I called them for delivery and they were 3 hours behind for delivery (good sign) so I went and picked it up as it was down the street. Now keep in mind I am well traveled but not a picky eater either. Great basic NY Pie I thought. I liked Saltlick BBQ because the Brisket had a real unique super beefy flavor, the sausage was great, and the ribs were great and tender. Loved the different sauce also. Good Stuff, cool setting. Franklins? I am not waiting 2 hours for BBQ. Sorry. I could be on my way to smoking my own.....which I do actually once a month. Went to Kreutz market in Lockhart also and thought that was really overrated. Ribs were chewy and brisket was good but not near as good as Salt Lick. The not giving a fork thing was annoying also. So was paying twice for the meat and the sides again. Just was a pain in arse.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM

77 posts, read 124,007 times
Hound- read your post after I posted. I liked it...;was fresh tasting. People weren't overly friendly there...kind of like the soup nazi, but good stuff.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:21 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,094 times
When we want good pizza, we go to Coal Vine's on West 2nd. We get the bolognese pizza and customize it. Fun atmosphere, superb wine selection, usually have outdoor seating available and rarely a wait. Home Slice can be decent but the wait is killer and not worth it, to us. If you don't see something to your liking, almost anyplace will make whatever you want.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak4fun View Post
Since I have been in Austin I haven't heard people stop talking about all the great restaurants. However, the only places that have made my eyebrows raise and stomachs smile are some of the food trucks.

However everything on yelp seems to be mediocre. If it's good (not necessarily great) than there are ridiculous prices and/or 2-3 hour waits. Is this the land of the soup nazi? I am sorry but 2 - 3 hour waits for decent food isn't my thing. I mean the bbq is better than mediocre, but its not on the platform of what you Austinite's put it on. No way. In the south, there is bbq on the side of the road that is just as good, trust me.

And majority of what is on yelp seems to be band wagon jumpers. When a restaurant is popular then it suddenly becomes good? Not in my book. If anyone understands what I am saying, then please please please fill me in on some good restaurants and the how to find them!
Yelp
Google
Austin-eater
Word of mouth
Professional Critics

Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
If you come here, and ***** about the pizza and bagels, then sounding smarter than you actually are is damning with faint praise.

Seriously. The reason we don't have good pizza and bagels here? Because we don't care. Only you care.
Speak for yourself. I love a good bagel.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 AM

152 posts, read 196,387 times
Austin is still in its culinary infancy. It's just starting to get good food but you have top pay for it. Uchi is excellent as well as Olivia's. Plan on spending $100+/person. Within Texas you have to go to Houston for great food of all kinds. Thai, Japanese, pizza, Indian etc. is all there. Ethnic food really isn't very good in Austin because there's not enough of those ethnic groups here. But you are right there's some damn good food trucks run by real chefs.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Speak for yourself. I love a good bagel.
And you are a single person. If there was enough demand - if "we" demanded it - there would be. Ramen Tatsu Ya is evidence that things you would never expect in the middle of Texas, well executed, will have lines out the door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin