Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,732 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I'm kinda freaking out imagining all scenarios. Not quite sure what happened but just went to the garage this evening to put trash out and the garage door was wide open. Last time I came in was last night around 6pm and I totally remember closing it as I had a "difference of opinion" with one of the kids who didnt want to come out of the car and wanted to go to the park so I had to go bring them out of the car kicking and screaming. and i distinctly remember that the garage door was closed as this happened. DH is out of town. We have so many boxes both empty and full in the garage. Nothing seems to have been disturbed, we have bikes and stuff. but now i'm wondering how did it get opened and 2, is there like some wild animal or snake or something like that living in my garage. i tried to make some noise to see if i could hear anything move but i didnt.. and i cant stop imagining.. doesnt help that half of the garage is filled with stuff we just moved with so its not like i can see everywhere..

i'm at a loss as to how this happened as the remote is in the car that is locked any suggestions and how likely is it that something is in there???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
It is possible random signal caused door to open - either another door opener, or even aircraft signals (military, mainly). Not as 'common as it used to be, but possible. Also, we had a power surge the other day, did not open our garage door, but screwed up some electronics - it wasn't just a blip, it was a surge, lights got brighter, etc.

Finally, kiddos love to push buttons, did one sneak out of sight for a few seconds and poke their head into the garage to test buttons?

Oh, as for animals, it depends on where you live, but not likely. Neighborhood cat would be the best candidate, but you would have spooked them.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Did you get all the remotes from the previous owner? Might a neighbor have one? Change the code? Hit the door button instead of the light switch at the door?

If a snake-like critter wants to be in your garage, he'll get in...you won't need to leave the door open. You will have anoles and geckos a'plenty in the months ahead. Welcome to Texas!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is possible random signal caused door to open - either another door opener, or even aircraft signals (military, mainly). Not as 'common as it used to be, but possible. Also, we had a power surge the other day, did not open our garage door, but screwed up some electronics - it wasn't just a blip, it was a surge, lights got brighter, etc.

Finally, kiddos love to push buttons, did one sneak out of sight for a few seconds and poke their head into the garage to test buttons?

Oh, as for animals, it depends on where you live, but not likely. Neighborhood cat would be the best candidate, but you would have spooked them.
Trainwreck - we live in Avery Ranch, not totally familiar with the whole area but it doesnt seem that rural but i dont know. Yep, the random signal explanation seems very plausible. And yeah, my kids like to go pressing buttons but cant go to the garage without me hearing the beep. Glad to know its nbot likely with the wild animal scenario. I was reading all kinds of weird scenarios online.. Google is clearly not my friend

Quote:
Did you get all the remotes from the previous owner? Might a neighbor have one? Change the code? Hit the door button instead of the light switch at the door?

If a snake-like critter wants to be in your garage, he'll get in...you won't need to leave the door open. You will have anoles and geckos a'plenty in the months ahead. Welcome to Texas!
Rick - Yeah, we did get the remotes from the previous owners who had owned the house since it was built and the neighbors all seemed very close to each other and one even said to be the other day that they were a wee bit worried about us moving since they were really close to the previous owners. So totally feasible that they may have given a remote to a neighbor. How do we change the code? do you know?

I dont even know what anoles are but guess we will get to know each other soon enough..wow.. i guess snakes can get in to garages but can they get inside the house, we always close the doors and windows and just removed the plant / shrub that was left to overgrow and was too close the house

Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Some folks put the little glue papers at the corners of the garage door(s) to stop bugs. Our bug guy said he would regularly remove small snakes from those critter-catchers.

Think chameleon for anole...plenty of the color-changing critters around, as well as the single color guys.

The garage door opener code could be changed in a number of ways. Need to check the model of the opener...YouTube is your friend...or a call to the company 800 number.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:21 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
If a snake-like critter wants to be in your garage, he'll get in...you won't need to leave the door open.
I live pretty close to Avery and have left our garage open overnight many times over the past 8 years for whatever reason. My neighbors have as well many times. I think the worst thing that has gotten in because of an open door has been a cat. Even with the door closed, lizards (harmless ones) are probably the most common thing. As Rick stated, a mouse or snakes wouldn't need the door to be open. It's not a good practice to leave the door open as there have been some drive through groups looking for quick grab bikes, tools, etc. but that's pretty rare in our area as well.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Think chameleon for anole....
I was thinking you missed the "h" key and hit the "n" one by mistake.

We've accidentally left our garage door open all night exactly 3 times since 1995. Never have missed any items, luckily. We make it a habit to lock the door from the garage into the house as a precaution in case of a random signal opening the garage door opener.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,842 times
The snakes get in regardless of the door being open. They find other ways. Our two of our friends have found (live) rattle snakes in their garages and they have the best maintained garages around.

Last edited by Idlewile; 01-12-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,645 times
It seems this was a recent TV news story, but I don't remember the cause or neighborhood. I searched briefly and no stories came up.

Regardless, just keep the door from your garage to the house locked in case it happens again. I wouldn't worry so much about animals as I would easy access for an intruder.

Btw, anoles and geckos are cute, harmless, and even beneficial. Sad if they got caught on a sticky paper.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
I once discovered that one of my neighbors garage door openers was using the same frequency mine was, so I had to change mine to keep them from unintentionally opening it.

Odds are slim that anything bothersome got into your garage overnight. Don't let your paranoia take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin