Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times

Advertisements

edit: opps the above poster bumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,393 times
Default Houston or Austin

It was still helpful to people like myself who are faced with that decision now, October 2012. So I'd appreciate further feedback. Kind of an updated Houston vs. Austin . . .

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianprincess View Post
Hello Austin, My family and I are considering moving to Texas within the next year or so. I would like to know the difference between Houston and Austin and which one of the cities is a better location to move. Here are some questions I would like to know to consider relocating to Austin:

1. Job Market:

First off, how is the job market in general? I'm working on my degree in both video production and graphic design. My mom is in the banking industry and has her real estate licsence and my brother is into the music scene (Hip Hop/R&B) and visual/fine arts. Which city has a big Job market for all these things?

2. Which city support the Arts more? This includes visual/fine arts, music and film

3. Which city has a good opportunity for starting a business?

4. Does Charlotte have a reasonable cost of living is, especially home prices?

5. Which city has the better climate?

6. Which city has more crime?

7. Which city has a lot entertainment and things to do leisure wise?

8. Which city do celebrities go to more often, such as actors and singers and rappers?

9. Which city has diverse population and diverse culture?

10. Which city has better school districts?

Any Information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
1. Austin has edge in film and maybe graphic design. But it's no banking center and Houston is a much much much larger city.
2. Houston is far superior in supporting the arts generally, with the exception of film and music which Austin does incubate some.
3. Austin over regulates the crap out of everything. But both cities are good places for entrepreneurs.
4. Wouldn't know about Charlotte. I would say that Austin home prices are completely absurd in most areas you'd want to live in. Houston has good housing close in for reasonable amounts. For reasons beyond comprehension, despite this many still opt to live in godforsaken places like Katy Texas.
5. Houston's climate is beyond belief horrible. Austin isn't quite as bad because of slightly less humidity. Neither are pleasant in June/July/August
6. Houston
7. Um, hard to say. Austin has a music scene, great if into that. Houston has to s more museums, sports, big city stuff...I'll call it a draw
8. Austin
9. Houston
10. Both. Neither. Everything in between.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
^On your #4, I think it has to do with the schools. There is lots of good housing closer in that's affordable in Houston, but it's affordable because something else is wrong (usually undesirable schools.) However this matters usually only to people with kids. The close in neighborhoods in Houston that also have good schools are few and the housing is tremendously expensive (for Texas at least.) I think it's actually easier in Austin to find close in areas with good/decent schools.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 PM

9 posts, read 38,409 times
Soooooooo..........I'm looking to relocate to Texas, as well. Son and grandkids there. I'm 48-years-old but young at heart so looking for good job ops and a decent social scene. How are things looking these days (year is now 2012) between Houston and Austin vs 2006 when most of these comments were psoted?

Old 12-02-2012, 01:32 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
What kind of work do you do? Rent or own? Also, what is your price range?

What are you looking for in a city? What are your dislikes? Give us more to go on so we are able to give the best possible advice.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryegirl View Post
Soooooooo..........I'm looking to relocate to Texas, as well. Son and grandkids there. I'm 48-years-old but young at heart so looking for good job ops and a decent social scene. How are things looking these days (year is now 2012) between Houston and Austin vs 2006 when most of these comments were psoted?
There are a lot of variables and as the other poster said, more information on your situation and interests might help. That said, I lived in Houston for more than 25 years; I have spent alot of time traveling central Texas though and recently moved to Austin so I feel fairly well positioned to give some opinions. So, barring some more specifics from you some general thoughts I would have would be:

1. Austin is a far more beautiful city in every sense and way.
2. Austin is far more of a green city. If you are in the city center all kinds of people are out all over biking and walking.
3. If you enjoy outdoor activities Austin is far superior in the range, scope and proximity of things.
4. Traffic in both cities can be horrendous.
5. Job market in both is decent, but seems to be stronger in Austin in my personal experience. It may vary depending on the field you are in though.
6. Dining in Austin is very good, and there are some great, unique spots - HOWEVER, Houston is a top ten dining city in the country and is really exceptional.
7. Houston is very good for the arts, particularly their theater scene which is among the best in the country.

More could be said, but those are some general principles off of my head. I would close just saying this - for me personally, I would never go back to Houston. There is nothing that could make me want to go back there to work and live ever. I left for a reason, and I am imensely happy thusfar here in the Austin area.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryegirl View Post
The job/industry you work in can be a factor, and you'll have to be more specific.

I've also lived in Houston and can compare, though my time there was shorter. To be overly general, Austin is better for outdoor activities (with the exception of fishing and saltwater activities) and Houston has better indoor activities (museums, traditional performing arts, restaurants, shopping etc.)

Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,846 times
I don't know if I would give Houston an edge in shopping. Obviously it is a city 4-5 times bigger so there are going to be more venues overall, but there is some great shopping here in Austin too.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I agree with sxrckr. I lived along the Gulf Coast and Houston for almost 30 years, nearly my whole life. With exception to number 2-3 of texantodds post, it's a good description. It's true that Houston loves pavement, but there are some far lusher areas there than in Austin due to the difference in climate and more rainfall. On number 3 proximity may be true but range and scope not so much. The lakes up here are prettier but you can do the exact same water activities in both cities, except for tubing. Mountain biking is better here but you can also do that in Houston(memorial park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin