Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:07 AM

109 posts, read 148,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Really? Stereotype much? I'm an "old person" and I ran a marathon last weekend. What did you do? Our central Austin home is beautifully rennovated as are the rentals own in Crestview/Brentwood.
There is no reason to get bent out of shape. The post was made in general terms and generally speaking he is right, older people do not spend a lot on renovating or upkeeping their homes as they get older because there are other things that need to come first. You might be the exception to the rule, just like there are people who fall from 10 story buildings and live or ex wives who do not take half of everything you own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollinhoneybadger View Post
There is no reason to get bent out of shape. The post was made in general terms and generally speaking he is right, older people do not spend a lot on renovating or upkeeping their homes as they get older because there are other things that need to come first. You might be the exception to the rule, just like there are people who fall from 10 story buildings and live or ex wives who do not take half of everything you own.
Holy necropost, Batman! Good to see you're keeping right up there with the stereotyping too, right up to women "taking" things in a divorce.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 PM

171 posts, read 229,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
umm people get old and die. Thats how every neighborhood goes.

Old people tend not to renovate their houses, dont have kids and simply dont have the energy of families moving in.
Old people, Asians...stereotyping seems to be a hobby for you.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,499 times
Man, I just wanted to learn more about Crestview.. Seems I knocked down a dormant hornet's nest.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batwingbrian View Post
Sorry to resurface an old thread, but I'm actually considering this area as well and I'm curious if anyone's opinions have changed about this planned community since the last post. I could also use some feedback from you all... excuse me... "ya'll"

From what I gather, the prices have increased dramatically. Family homes are now close to $500k and few remain. They must have hit their peak as most have been on the market for some time. They are still building a few, but no longer allow you to customize anything. Most of the homes have limited upgrades (lots of carpet, basic cabinets and counter tops, framed showers, etc). I'm 38 (very young at heart) and my partner and I are thinking of buying a home in Crestview. We currently live in Round Rock near 620 and 45 so we have pretty fast access to the area, but I don't really like the feel of Round Rock. It makes me feel old and most of my neighbors are renters and don't take care of their homes. This hasn't really had any effect on my property values, however. My house is 1850 sqft and VERY upgraded including a jetted, doorless shower, lots of natural stone, jetted tub, and mahogany hardwood throughout. It's a little hard to downgrade. Besides this, there are a couple things that bother me about the Crestview area...

(1) no laundry room - Instead of a traditional laundry room they have stackable units in a closet on the second floor. I hang dry most close so this is kind of annoying.
(2) no jetted tub - This isn't a common thing anymore but I have some neck issues and I soak regularly. (I can see the old man comments coming. )
(3) high price - A house payment of $2650 a month is affordable, but will make me a little house poor (versus Round Rock where I bought in at $145k; now worth $260k) for a little less house.

So I have a few questions for people who have lived in Crestview. Forgive me if these sound silly but I've gotten picky as I've gotten older. Plus, I'd hate to sell my home in Round Rock and regret it.

(1) How have you dealt with not having a traditional laundry room?
(2) Have any of you upgraded the second bath with a jetted tub? After touring one of them, it does not appear to have the room.
(3) How do you like the area? If you had 15 minute access to the same area by car but your house payment were half, would you rethink your decision? Do you regret your purchase?
(4) Do you find yourself going downtown much more than before? We rarely go anymore because of the distance from Round Rock.
(5) What is the shopping like for daily essentials. The HEB's and Target's in the areas look a bit rough to me. I'm a little spoiled by Round Rock in this regard.
(6) How is the traffic getting out of the subdivision? I've found that once I get onto Lamar, heading North in the morning is a breeze. (I tried this one morning.)

Thanks for your help and advice.
Brian
Quote:
Man, I just wanted to learn more about Crestview.. Seems I knocked down a dormant hornet's nest.
We live in Rosedale and have several investment properties in Crestview and Brentwood. I really can't speak to the specifics about those homes (although they look really small and close together to me as I drive by), but I can answer a few of your general neighborhood questions. My replies are in red.

(3) How do you like the area?
Crestview is a great area, close to almost everything -- including transit options. The residents are friendly and involved in their neighborhood. There's a great sense of community.

The areas to the north and east are still a bit rough, but slowly gentrifying. There are also some homeless that camp out in the area surrounding the Crestview City Homes. So you will see some sketchy people/happenings around that area, but it's improved dramatically in the last few years.

(4) Do you find yourself going downtown much more than before? We rarely go anymore because of the distance from Round Rock.
Again, I think that's one of the great benefits. It's close enough to downtown to drive, take the bus or the train. I got to a friend's home in Clarksville from one of our properties via Lamar the other night in just over five minutes by car.

(5) What is the shopping like for daily essentials. The HEB's and Target's in the areas look a bit rough to me. I'm a little spoiled by Round Rock in this regard.
If you're looking at the Target on 183 and the HEB on Lamar, yes those are a bit run down and have a sketchy element to them. Most people in the neighborhood shop at the HEB on Burnet at Koenig, which was recently remodeled and is now huge, and use the Target on 35 south of 183 which is much nicer, larger and newer. And of course Central Market is just down the street at 35th and Lamar.

(6) How is the traffic getting out of the subdivision? I've found that once I get onto Lamar, heading North in the morning is a breeze. (I tried this one morning.)
Traffic in that area can be a cluster eff during the rush hours because of the train and the traffic coming off 183 and out of the Crestview Station apartments. Although most the issue is going south, sometimes the traffic can back up beyond Morrow and jam up that intersection for those trying to get out.

Personally, I think you have a good idea of the types of amenities you want in a house, and the Crestview City Homes are lacking those. Rather than buy something for such a high price that you're not in love with, I'd think about buying something older within the hood and renovating it to your standards.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, A-Tex, your comments are very well thought out. I did a lot of renovation on my house in Round Rock which has made it hard to leave (did most of it myself). I'm still pretty attracted to Crestview in light of the lack of amenities... Perhaps it would be cathartic to let some of that stuff go.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
We glanced at those over two years ago when a very few units were complete. Unfortunately, the market has skyrocketed since then and the prices are even more ridiculous than they were then(at that time, 2.5x the comparable homes 'up here'). The ONLY benefit for us would have been the potential appreciation by getting in on the 'ground floor'. As you have seen, you don't get much except location...the same quality finishes would be considered only slightly above standard builder grade in a less-trendy area.

Hate the traffic in the area...hate the appearance of the commercial area right outside the door and up/down the street...might as well be an apartment complex(OK...condo complex)...BUT...

...We don't commute into downtown, don't need a coffee shop with free wi-fi on every block, don't really want to live THAT close to the train, prefer a little less claustrophobia-inducing surroundings just outside the front door. For some...it's Nirvana, we didn't think so...don't think you will either. You can surely find something in between. Good luck(and don't be house-poor...it sucks...we've been 'lucky').

Old 04-30-2015, 10:34 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
Good friends of ours bought in Crestview Station. Their exact model house went up $80K in price in the six months between when they closed and when we looked. I decided that was pricing craziness I didn't want to engage in, and we passed.

There is now drama between the Crestview Station residents and Crestview residents who don't want Morrow opened up to through traffic.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM

Yeah I heard about that.. Crazy! Beyond Crestview, Austin housing is just insane. I think I'm going to stay up North. I just have this itch I need to scratch... i.e. the idea of living somewhere urban where I can bike to my favorite tavern... Wish I scratched it several years ago. I feel like I'm going backwards on this: starting the the burbs and moving into the city. Lol.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel_Austin View Post
Old people, Asians...stereotyping seems to be a hobby for you.
thats because it helps people to understand what they are getting into. Just because you want to be politically correct does not mean the stereotypes are not true.

People fit into groups, thats simply reality. Businesses make tons of money by understanding the stereotypes of their groups (hipsters, yuppies, aging boomers, etc) because those profiles/stereotypes are real.

The hipsters that shop at the farmers market also tend to all wear the same clothing brands. They read the same magazines etc.

As much as you would love to believe that it isnt possible to stereotype, it is possible and people make money doing it every day.

------------
To stay on point, I would stay away from any bubble. But the crestview location is great (if you like those amenities).

I dont live there

1) laundry - friends of ours have a laundry hook bar that extends out the top of their laundry room door. It works quite well if you dont mind hanging laundry in the hall.

2) Im surprised jetted tubs really do anything. Maybe a massage chair would be a good alternative?

3) I love the area. Compare prices the the comparable area south. I think it will continue to turn into a south lamar/south congress type area. Burnet is zoned so new construction can go right to the street. Im not sure if lamar is as well. I would live there in another life..

4) we live a little bit farther out. I would probably go downtown more if downtown wasnt so crwoded. The hard part is coming back when you are drunk. If the train extends hours (which it will) I would probably go downtown a lot more.

5) the target is interesting. We mostly shop at the 183/balcones woods target. But they run out of certain things that yuppies like to buy. We go to the peyton gin target sometimes and they still have plenty of it (for example certain types of christmas stuff).

Havent shopped at the HEB.

cocos cafe, din ho and tatsuya are great restaurants all right there.

6) traffic is bad. My architect is located right there and it can take forever to get out when there is hardly any traffic.

I hate the feeling of being funneled. There is a gated back entrance, not sure what the plan is for it.

Last edited by Austin97; 04-30-2015 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin