Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I checked out Houston but I specifically had comments from Houstonites sent to me that liberals weren't welcome in the parts of Houston I was looking in, basically I would have to live in the industrial parts to be accepted. That won't wash.
What parts were you looking at? Lots of families in areas like the Heights and it's a pretty liberal part of Houston. Seems like a good community feel and lots of restaurants, shops and such to walk to.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I thought the same thing at first glance, then thought a little more. A proper social network doesn't necessarily mean people who live on the same street or in the same building. A proper social network can develop at another school, after school programs, camps, classes and sports (like at the YMCA downtown) and other activities, as long as you're around people who accept you, feel comfortable around you (and you, them), who welcome you.
That kind of social network doesn't have anything to do with where one lives. So if you think he means he's looking to go out of his way to establish that kind of network outside of where he lives, he might as well stay in Steiner.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
I checked out Houston but I specifically had comments from Houstonites sent to me that liberals weren't welcome in the parts of Houston I was looking in, basically I would have to live in the industrial parts to be accepted. That won't wash.
I wasn't saying to move to Houston, I was saying I remember seeing a lot of townhome/brownstone developments, we don't seem to have. I'm just not much into the highrise condos, especially with one or more children. Anyway, I think you'd be accepted anywhere in central Houston, their mayor is a gun-toting openly gay after all... and I thought she just got married? I lived in city limits there a few years and it was only the suburbs, to an extent, that were somewhat anti-liberal or whatever.

But what I meant was maybe a townhome, closer to Austin.

Where do you have family? That is something to consider as well, especially for your son. It's not always a great idea to pick up and move your son to another city without a pretty good reason like that.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Of course I do. Has he never BEEN downtown? Walked around, seen what's there? My kids are 9 and 6 and they absolutely know what constitutes downtown. We are Downtown once a week. They have been to NYC, and spend weeks every year in Philly because that's where I'm from. They love visiting. But if you asked them if they would want to live there, they would say no.
You're acting like parents never make decisions for their children. Did you pierce your daughter's ears when she was a baby? Did you circumcise your son? Did you ask his permission before doing so? Have you asked him if he wanted that done or how he feels about it now? Did you give your children vaccines? Did you ask if they wanted that?

Parents make decisions all the time for their children and their children have to live with those decisions for their lifetime, in some cases.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
You're acting like parents never make decisions for their children. Did you pierce your daughter's ears when she was a baby? Did you circumcise your son? Did you ask his permission before doing so? Have you asked him if he wanted that done or how he feels about it now? Did you give your children vaccines? Did you ask if they wanted that?

Parents make decisions all the time for their children and their children have to live with those decisions for their lifetime, in some cases.
I think it just sounds like you want downtown for you and are trying to justify that it is for him.

If you would take a bullet for him, why wouldnt you live in an area that has many kids his age and where he can get out and play outside your front door? Yeah maybe you wont date as much as if you could hang out downtown, but dating just shows him he isnt the most important thing to you and creates instability in his life as women come and go.

With all the travel you did you placed him a distant third (behind your wife/gf and your job). Placing him first means spending time with him and no dating until he is 18 and out.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think it just sounds like you want downtown for you and are trying to justify that it is for him.

If you would take a bullet for him, why wouldnt you live in an area that has many kids his age and where he can get out and play outside your front door? Yeah maybe you wont date as much as if you could hang out downtown, but dating just shows him he isnt the most important thing to you and creates instability in his life as women come and go.

With all the travel you did you placed him a distant third (behind your wife/gf and your job). Placing him first means spending time with him and no dating until he is 18 and out.
Um, if I didn't travel for work, I'd get fired. Not having a job means I couldn't support him. Is that what you're suggesting?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Would be nice to get your son a dog if your next residence is suitable.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Um, if I didn't travel for work, I'd get fired. Not having a job means I couldn't support him. Is that what you're suggesting?
It's not travel or be unemployed. Plenty of people change jobs to have a schedule that accommodates parenting needs. It's particularly important as a single parent. You're all that kiddo has. His needs should be #1.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
It's not travel or be unemployed. Plenty of people change jobs to have a schedule that accommodates parenting needs. It's particularly important as a single parent. You're all that kiddo has. His needs should be #1.
I'm going through enough change without having to worry about interviewing for a job.

You are being quite difficult and are very unreasonable and uncompassionate. I don't have anything more to say to you.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
I don't think that is what anyone is suggesting. What people are saying is that because you do have to travel so much for your job, it is even more important that the time you spend with him is focused on him, and not whatever girl you happen to be dating at the time. That is also why it's even more important that he have the freedom to play with the kid next door or down the street. He won't get that downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: