Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,801 times

Advertisements

As the title says...why? I think it would be a great thing for this growing city. It brings excitement, entertainment, brings in revenue (yes I know..tax payers would most likely help fund a stadium), and it creates a culture-identity. Personally I think Austin would be a great city for a pro-nfl team. I get the whole- la-san antonio argument...but personally I just went to San Antonio today and was sooooooo unimpressed with it. It felt isolated-extremely dirty-unsafe- and the streets- even near the alamo-riverwalk where desolate. I was asked for money several times, and just had a real uncomfortable vibe which I who am from Chicago have never even had there before. I just think from business people, investors and from the influx of people from other areas it would be an awesome thing. And I know the whole university of Texas argument but im sorry the college game and professional are not the same level no matter how you slice it.
thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
jeez, just use the search function, we have a HUGE conversation about this about every six months.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Because, as has been said before with this and other things like luxury shopping and notable museums, that already exists 2-3 hours away in the larger TX cities. Someone from Chicago, NYC or L.A. who wants the big-city amenities may be happier in Houston or Dallas. It is what it is.

And foot traffic in San Antonio was probably because of this crummy weather.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM

I am aware of the typical argument from the people who went to the university and don't want a pro sports team to take over...its played out. The whole city and surrounding area cant feel the same exact way... especially when a great amount of people are not originally from Austin but plan or have been here "forever". There is way too much potential in this city to ignore it...its top ten in population and the fastest growing city for what seems like forever. Something is going to give at some point...all it takes is a few investors with money.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 PM

But not everyone from these cities cares about museums and such. Having a sports team is something that plenty of smaller cities have that austin does not...I can name handfuls..for starters...buffallo- which has multiple pro teams and is in the same state as the jets=giants etc.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM

So that argument that texas has other cities is invalid considering so does...new york...cali....illinois...florida...ohio...pennsyl vania...

Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
See in quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
As the title says...why? I think it would be a great thing for this growing city.

8 out of 10 people could care less.

It brings excitement, entertainment, brings in revenue (yes I know..tax payers would most likely help fund a stadium), and it creates a culture-identity.

Yes the "tax payers" would have to fund the stadium for an NFL team (that 8 out of 10 of us could care less about). End of post.

Personally I think Austin would be a great city for a pro-nfl team. I get the whole- la-san antonio argument...but personally I just went to San Antonio today and was sooooooo unimpressed with it. It felt isolated-extremely dirty-unsafe- and the streets- even near the alamo-riverwalk where desolate.

8 out of 10 of us think that is a SA is a good-great town & that you are wrong.

I was asked for money several times, and just had a real uncomfortable vibe which I who am from Chicago have never even had there before.

You've never been asked for money in Austin? You need to get out more.

I just think from business people, investors and from the influx of people from other areas it would be an awesome thing. And I know the whole university of Texas argument but im sorry the college game and professional are not the same level no matter how you slice it. thoughts?
8 out of 10 austin "business people", investors, & those who have "influxed" in from other areas could care less about the NFL.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM

519 posts, read 777,399 times
I don't mean to sound like the grammar police, but you said it so many times...

It's couldn't care less.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,218,641 times
Because this is Longhorn country where the hometown college team IS the NFL... Hook 'em, y'all!

::yawn::

Old 03-04-2014, 05:13 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,300 times
Yep. I'd rather watch college and minor league sports anyway. The kids and I have way more fun at a Longhorn/Express/Stars game than we have ever had shelling out 5-6 times the amount of money to watch entitled twits run around the day after their DUI.

I look at it this way. If we had NFL/NBA, I could swing maybe 2 games a year with the kids. Now, I can swing 10-12 and have money left over for the really cool stuff like early round NCAA MBB tournament action.

And NFL teams don't generate enough revenue to offset the stadium investments. Plus, who wants a crappy expansion team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin