Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,019 times

Advertisements

Just bought my house and thinking about what would be the best option for blinds... Considering austin weather... What do u guys recommend? Faux wood blinds or solar screens? Or tinting windows??

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
If you are going to do solar screens or tinting, that would be in addition to blinds inside. You would still wan them for privacy and when you are out of the house on a hot day. On the blinds, it's really just your preference and budget.

Also, if you are an Austin Energy customer (in the city or in one of their service areas), you qualify for rebates on the solar film or solar screen (among many other things): Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Rebate

We have a bunch of windows facing southwest, so we went with solar screens from Dan White's Screens and Things in SW Austin:
Dan White's Screens & Things

Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If you are going to do solar screens or tinting, that would be in addition to blinds inside. You would still wan them for privacy and when you are out of the house on a hot day. On the blinds, it's really just your preference and budget.

Also, if you are an Austin Energy customer (in the city or in one of their service areas), you qualify for rebates on the solar film or solar screen (among many other things): Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® Rebate

We have a bunch of windows facing southwest, so we went with solar screens from Dan White's Screens and Things in SW Austin:
Dan White's Screens & Things
House will be in pflugerville falcon pointe black hawk area, does austin energy service there?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,199 times
We recently ordered Levolor metal blinds from blinds.com - we wanted something durable and low profile. When I over tightened one, they sent a replacement for free so I will be ordering more in the future.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:35 AM

91 posts, read 175,940 times
I like faux wood blinds; they won't warp in the humidity and are sturdy. In Pflugerville, you have your choice of electric service providers (Reliant, TXU, etc.) Austin Energy is not one of those choices, as they only provide service within the Austin city limits.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM

59 posts, read 116,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpdiem View Post
House will be in pflugerville falcon pointe black hawk area, does austin energy service there?
No. You get to chose your energy supplier. I found this Website to be a good resource to chose from the over 200 different plans and providers that are looking to win your business:

Power To Choose | Home

You can easily waste in excess of $1,000/year by choosing the wrong supplier, so spend some time on reading up on options, surcharges, etc. Overall, the "free market" options you get outside of Austin are not generally cheaper than what Austin Energy charges, and I find Austin Energy to be much better in supporting customers with rebates, incentives and other efforts that help home owners reduce power consumption. Some providers supply free NEST thermostats with some plans, and some suppliers have rebates and other incentives for energy saving items, but it takes research and might bind you to a more expensive plan in some cases.

As to your blinds question, I am very happy with my plantation style blinds (example below), but they cost more than most other options. They allow for great heat and light control though, and they look great, people comment on them all the time when they come to visit my house.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 PM

318 posts, read 670,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx78660 View Post

As to your blinds question, I am very happy with my plantation style blinds (example below), but they cost more than most other options. They allow for great heat and light control though, and they look great, people comment on them all the time when they come to visit my house.
Love mine as well. We purchased these (from Budget Blinds) to replace those honeycomb/cellular shades that did NOTHING to keep the heat out.

The plantation shutters were installed in the fall, but so far have been AWESOME! I have no doubt they will keep the heat out of my western-facing bedroom!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
The only drawback I see in blinds is they are a pain to keep the dust off. However, if you have someone clean your home it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin