Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
We also had super long screws and bigger kickplates installed...it's supposed to make the door more secure.
How dumb would a BG have to be to kick in YOUR door?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
How dumb would a BG have to be to kick in YOUR door?!?
That is VERY true, Rick....

Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
And if you do have sidelights or glass in your door, have a keyed deadbolt put in. That prevents burglars from smashing the glass and reaching in to unlock the door.
You are right about the safety issue here, but we had a house like this (actually, it had a 1/2 window that ended just above the keyed deadbolt), and I hated it. For a while, I would lock the keyed deadbolt with the key at night, but put the key on the floor by the door, just in case of fire. Then I decided not to deadbolt it at night at all, since it would make an escape impossible. But that defeated the reason for having a deadbolt (although we used it when we left the house.) We finally replaced the door with one that had a small window at the top. It was an elegant, craftsman style, and I loved it. So that removed all the dead bolt problems. We could have one with a turn-lock. The house we are in now has a completely solid door - with a turn style dead bolt - but has a clerstory window over the top for light. I had a peephole put in so that I could see who is out there. It is a good compromise, but if I were going to replace that door, I would go back to the system I described above: A small top window, no side lights, but with a clerstory window, if possible.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Just remember not to lock the double-keyed deadbolt while you are inside, especially if you have kids. Exiting the house in a fire would be made much more difficult.
That doesn't make sense. If you leave it unlocked then a burglar could just walk in. The key would be available and everyone knows how to use it.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You are right about the safety issue here, but we had a house like this (actually, it had a 1/2 window that ended just above the keyed deadbolt), and I hated it. For a while, I would lock the keyed deadbolt with the key at night, but put the key on the floor by the door, just in case of fire. Then I decided not to deadbolt it at night at all, since it would make an escape impossible. But that defeated the reason for having a deadbolt (although we used it when we left the house.) We finally replaced the door with one that had a small window at the top. It was an elegant, craftsman style, and I loved it. So that removed all the dead bolt problems. We could have one with a turn-lock. The house we are in now has a completely solid door - with a turn style dead bolt - but has a clerstory window over the top for light. I had a peephole put in so that I could see who is out there. It is a good compromise, but if I were going to replace that door, I would go back to the system I described above: A small top window, no side lights, but with a clerstory window, if possible.
We have both -- a turn lock and a keyed deadbolt. If we're in the house and are going in and out, we use the turn lock. At night or when we're gone, both are always locked but the key is always in the same location and very accessible (for us, but hidden) for both the front and the back doors. And we have a big loud dog...and an alarm system...and other forms of personal/home protection...

Old 04-04-2014, 11:57 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense. If you leave it unlocked then a burglar could just walk in. The key would be available and everyone knows how to use it.
You have both a traditional and a double-key. You would normally only use the double-key lock when you are out of the house.

We have two young kids, and I would rather they are able to get out quickly, if necessary, than fumbling with a key. Ofc, if you live in a very dangerous area for crime, you might do otherwise, but the smash-n-grab in most 'upscale' areas is a day-time thing.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Thanks for the deadbolt suggestion. I had not thought of that!
keep in mind they are a fire hazard. If you cant find the key if there is a fire you can get trapped.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 PM

54 posts, read 182,699 times
I have what G Grasshopper described, and love it. It is a painted fiberglass door, and much easier to maintain than a wood door. I think the wood doors with the glass look the best, but wouldn't want to worry about sidelites and burglers, or having to re-stain my wood door so much. They do make stained fiberglass doors that look like real wood, which I might look into someday.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
keep in mind they are a fire hazard. If you cant find the key if there is a fire you can get trapped.
I believe they are also a building code violation, for this very reason. A person could be trapped and unable to exit in an emergency.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 AM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
We have a mid century style front door that we like and intend to keep. I did just have it re-hung and adjusted by a pro, glad I didn't take that job on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin