Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,080,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Sounds like a bubble to me. Of course, you'll never hear anyone with skin in the game (realtors, investors, many homeowners) admit it. 20 billion dollars is appropriate to spend on a chat app and houses will keep appreciating 30% a year until the end of time...
It's not a bubble, because the buyers have actual reason to buy, and all buyers are loan qualified and/or using cash. It's not speculation. It's serious price inflation resulting from limited supply. Suply is limited because of bad growth policy in Austin mainly and an inability to keep up with job/population growth elsewhere.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 04-05-2014 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,301,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
It's not a bubble, because the buyers have actual reason to buy, and all buyers are loan qualified and/or using cash. It's not speculation. It's serious price inflation resulting from limited supply. Suply is limited because of bad growth policy in Austin mainly and an inability to keep up with job/population growth elsewhere.

Steve
I'm sure it's mostly driven by supply and demand, but there does seem to be a lot of speculation going on. According to the graphic on the link below, the proportion of housing purchased by institutional investors (entities buying 10+ houses in a year) is up 160% in Austin just over the past year. Austin is way ahead of the pack in that regard. Next place is Cincinnati at 83%, and in most places it's declined. Is that not seen as speculation, or something that might artificially raise housing prices?

The "Institutional Investor" Housing Bubble Just Burst | Zero Hedge

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...tyTrac%202.jpg

Old 04-05-2014, 06:35 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,223,238 times
Nonsense, they could buy 4 of my house in Round Rock for 600 grand.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:28 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,704,751 times
Okay, that is a bit silly - "I can't buy in the exact house I want in a very specific area, so I am leaving the state!".

I mean:
Quote:
We considered going further West but most of the school activities, restaurants and cultural things are downtown. We have been priced out of the market -- literally. Now we are planning a move, probably to North Carolina or Tennessee.
Umm...so, their jobs are easier to change than their housing location? The school activities are downtown? Really?

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-05-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,291,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
IAccording to the graphic on the link below, the proportion of housing purchased by institutional investors (entities buying 10+ houses in a year) is up 160% in Austin just over the past year.
That data is from Realty Trac. YMMV, but I wouldn't believe a word they had to say. For instance, they are saying that Travis County median list/sale price gap was 150K this past January. As far as ""10 + investors" - they may be buying MF, but there is no way there is any significant SF investor activity in Travis County. I don't know of anyone that sold to an institutional investor, no one that bought from one, or anyone that rents from one.

So, I think the data underlying that graph is flawed, and would question any conclusion from it as well.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,749,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
I think it has more to do with the fallout of the housing bubble than anything related to what COA has done. The number of new units added annually in Austin went way down from 2008 to 2011, but it did the same for most of the suburban cities too.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,080,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I think it has more to do with the fallout of the housing bubble than anything related to what COA has done. The number of new units added annually in Austin went way down from 2008 to 2011, but it did the same for most of the suburban cities too.
Agreed, that's part of it. Most of our local builders are national, and over-corrected in Austin. Not enough lots are ready to build. But COA is the worst of all local municipalities with regard to being builder-unfriendly and having anti-development policies. Of course everyone is getting priced out as a result.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,301,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Okay, that is a bit silly - "I can't buy in the exact house I want in a very specific area, so I am leaving the state!".

I mean:

Umm...so, their jobs are easier to change than their housing location? The school activities are downtown? Really?
If the lifestyle they want is not available at their price point, I don't begrudge them from moving somewhere it's accessible for them. Maybe they're repulsed by a lot of the affordable suburbs in Austin. You won't see me moving to one-- I'd just move to a different city too.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,529,448 times
I don't feel anything for the Austin case study. They would like to have a somewhat largish home in probably one of the most exclusive parts of town. Are they serious? It's like me wanting to buy a 2/2 1500 apt in Manhattan with a budget of $400,000. It's not gonna happen! I've been here long enough to know that there are certain areas in this city that aren't cheap and were NEVER cheap. It's all about what is important to you. If it's the Eanes schools (which people think is the only superior school district), then you're gonna have to give up the size. If it's the size, then you're gonna have to give up living in Eanes. It's that simple! You don't have to move to a suburban city either..there are plenty of areas in town that fit the bill for a $400K budget.

The people I feel bad for are natives being priced out of areas, not transplants who move here thinking that all of their housing wishes are going to come true without a pricey tag. It's just not like that anymore.

At the same time, I do agree that Austin is becoming increasingly unaffordable and that sucks for the middle classed. The Austin salaries aren't all that great when compared to other larger cities (unless you're a tech person, I suppose), yet the housing prices are way out of control. And for what reason, really? These are the same neighborhoods that I've either lived in or passed through over the years and very little changed except for the price. The median household income will not get you a SFH in a decent area in Austin at this point in time. I make a pretty decent salary on my own, but using the 2.5 income rule (that I personally think is sound when it comes to buying houses), there's little out there for me. Small starter homes that aren't in the ghetto and/or have crappy schools, amenities, services are now creeping closer to $250,000. It pains me to think that I actually would need my husband's salary to have that much more buying power! It's the middle classed worker bee that I feel bad for when it comes to affordability, if living in Austin is their thing.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,959,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't feel anything for the Austin case study. They would like to have a somewhat largish home in probably one of the most exclusive parts of town. Are they serious? It's like me wanting to buy a 2/2 1500 apt in Manhattan with a budget of $400,000. It's not gonna happen! I've been here long enough to know that there are certain areas in this city that aren't cheap and were NEVER cheap. It's all about what is important to you. If it's the Eanes schools (which people think is the only superior school district), then you're gonna have to give up the size. If it's the size, then you're gonna have to give up living in Eanes. It's that simple! You don't have to move to a suburban city either..there are plenty of areas in town that fit the bill for a $400K budget.

The people I feel bad for are natives being priced out of areas, not transplants who move here thinking that all of their housing wishes are going to come true without a pricey tag. It's just not like that anymore.

At the same time, I do agree that Austin is becoming increasingly unaffordable and that sucks for the middle classed. The Austin salaries aren't all that great when compared to other larger cities (unless you're a tech person, I suppose), yet the housing prices are way out of control. And for what reason, really? These are the same neighborhoods that I've either lived in or passed through over the years and very little changed except for the price. The median household income will not get you a SFH in a decent area in Austin at this point in time. I make a pretty decent salary on my own, but using the 2.5 income rule (that I personally think is sound when it comes to buying houses), there's little out there for me. Small starter homes that aren't in the ghetto and/or have crappy schools, amenities, services are now creeping closer to $250,000. It pains me to think that I actually would need my husband's salary to have that much more buying power! It's the middle classed worker bee that I feel bad for when it comes to affordability, if living in Austin is their thing.
Seriously, anyone who is familiar with Austin knows the individuals profiled in this article do not make a case for the premise of the article. Basically they're saying that since they can't afford to buy in the most expensive suburb in Austin, they're going to have to move to an entirely different place. That budget will take them far in many solid areas of town, not just the suburbs they dislike. Sheesh. Talk about first world problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin