Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 22,615 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I’m a freelance writer pulling together info on these areas for a client of mine. I have facts and figures but haven’t found much in the way of local feedback, aside from a few comments in the posts here. I just moved to Cedar Park from Los Angeles, so I’m not familiar with much of the area on my own and I’m hoping someone out there can help…

My impressions are that Lakeway and DS are older and more established, with a strong sense of community. I understand that Lakeway is larger and more of a tourist attraction for golfers and anyone who likes watersports in the Austin area, whereas DS is more rural and further removed from the city. From what I’ve read about Steiner Ranch and Circle C, these sound like newer, more suburban areas that are still growing quickly and attracting people who want to be closer to downtown, shopping, etc. Barton Creek sounds to me like it’s somewhere in between, not far from downtown, a little older with some new development, lots of golf and parks.

Are any of these impressions on target? Way off? Any information you can share about the “feel” of these places, or what’s appealing about them would be a great help! Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Are any of these impressions on target? Way off?
Yes, you're missing the mark in many ways. Maybe your client would be better served by someone who has actually spent time in Austin and knows these areas. It's clear to me, from reading your assessment that you're not at all familiar with any of the locations.

I'm guessing a Realtor has hired you to create content for a website? I can't think of any other reason someone would hire a freelance writer to write about this specific group of areas.

Steve

Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Yes, you're missing the mark in many ways. Maybe your client would be better served by someone who has actually spent time in Austin and knows these areas. It's clear to me, from reading your assessment that you're not at all familiar with any of the locations.

I'm guessing a Realtor has hired you to create content for a website? I can't think of any other reason someone would hire a freelance writer to write about this specific group of areas.

Steve
Sounds like you need a dose of that sugar you've been telling others to take, Steve.

Having worked in marketing and with copywriters for years, oftentimes they don't have the benefit of in depth knowledge of the particular subject they're writing about. They have to make do with what they have or consult additional sources, as this poster was professional enough to do. Instead of implying that he was irresponsible in taking on his client, we should try to help him correct his errors/perceptions or point him to places where he can get additional information. I don't think this forum is meant to be a place for people to be made to feel bad about their professional responsibilities.

Smariani, I'll PM you with some links and info that might be helpful to you.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks Steve. Yes, it's true that I'm not familiar with the areas, which is why I asked... my "assessments" *wink,wink* were meant to show that while it's easy to find lots of information about a community, you never get the real story unless you talk to residents or professionals who know it personally (clearly, I don't fall into this category -- I'm just doing the groundwork of gathering info to be expanded upon by others who do know it well... IMHO, that doesn't make them wrong; just busy). If this forum isn't an appropriate place for my question, I apologize.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Gigi, Thanks for your understanding, and I appreciate any info you can share!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Sounds like you need a dose of that sugar you've been telling others to take, Steve.
Heh..that was me, btw

Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smariani View Post
...If this forum isn't an appropriate place for my question, I apologize.
I guess my response was interpreted as curt. Sorry. It was just my straight take.

Yes, this forum is a great resourse to gain better insight. A lot has been written especially about Circle C and Steiner, so if you do some searches you find many opinions on what people see as the pros and cons of these different parts of Austin.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin