Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times

Advertisements

Back to the crystal ball thing...one wonders if ten years down the road, when the kiddies leave the nest and the price of gas has quadrupled, will there be a similar demographic (mostly families with children) who want to buy 3000sf houses with three car garages and granite countertops. The 20 somethings I know now don't have any interest in shopping at chain stores or living that lifestyle so I guess we'll see...perhaps they will make great boarding houses someday since they have a bathroom for every bedroom. Having lived in Austin for 30 years, I know well that people get way too exuberant during these booms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 PM

80 posts, read 196,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
You need to learn some critical thinking skills, Maybe exercise some reading comprehension.

This is what I said:

So. If someone moves here expecting things to change because they moved here, they should probably move away. Austin has a poor track record of acquiescing to transplants looking for something. I'm not telling anyone how to live, complaining about food, whining about NFL, bitching about traffic or anything of the sort. I'm explaining exactly how Austin has dealt with growth in the past, and how it will deal with it going forward. There have been no signs that this attitude or approach will change.

I respect your views and take your word that the Austin is not going to change.
Is that you have frustration on the city it's not ready to change the approach to deal with traffic.
But the same city is encouraging new companies and people to expand the city and its suburbs.
So from your thoughts the city is going to take the advantage of the growth and use the taxes for some other purposes and not spending to manage the traffic.

I know its worse and going to be even worse in next 5 or 10 years. Let's keep the thought of city not going to change aside, what would you think ideal from your thoughts that the city needs to do to manage the traffic (again keeping your thought that the city side, is not going to change )

Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
... and be apart of my new city.
We can only hope.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Those prices are bananas. I'd go to Brady or elsewhere for half the price and almost the same commute time.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Back to the crystal ball thing...one wonders if ten years down the road, when the kiddies leave the nest and the price of gas has quadrupled, will there be a similar demographic (mostly families with children) who want to buy 3000sf houses with three car garages and granite countertops. The 20 somethings I know now don't have any interest in shopping at chain stores or living that lifestyle so I guess we'll see...perhaps they will make great boarding houses someday since they have a bathroom for every bedroom. Having lived in Austin for 30 years, I know well that people get way too exuberant during these booms.
The ghettos of the future have granite countertops.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
This house is roughly 3,800 sq. ft. Average listing price in this zip code last month was $132/sq. ft. Do the math.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Currently im in a rental but when and if we decide to buy here it will no doubt be in cedar park-leander area. If money wasnt an issue than westlake hills/lakeway POSSIBLY...I might still stay in the cedar park area. Its the closest thing I have to back home. Cant stand east Austin (Manor-Elgin-Taylor), dont mind round rock, Dont like southeast Austin (Bastrop-dellville), Dont get the same vibes in south austin (Kyle-buda-san marcos) that I do in the north, Southwest I dont know too much about but I know its not as built up as the north which is actually a drawback for me and I have heard there is high theft rates from people coming over from the southeast area, wouldnt wanna live downtown, and west Austin is expensive. So personally speaking I love the northwest area...and whose to say what the area will look or be like in 5 years...look at how fast it is growing and building. Its not a stretch to say that areas far north/south/west/east of austin will be suburbs such as (Liberty hill, Jonestown, Buda, Kyle, even areas further east) wont be built up like cedar park? From what ive heard no one expected cedar park to be anything...and even 9 years ago 1431 was a two lane rd to nowhere..
for 500k you can get a nice house on 10+ acres in leander in the hill country. I wouldnt settle for a tract home on a small lot.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:30 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
The demographic that's attracted to larger homes will always exist. In my neighborhood, homes over 3000 sq ft sell pretty quickly. They're built because the demand is there. No one is forcing you to buy one. People have different desires and wants. That makes the world go round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
The ghettos of the future have granite countertops.
Yeah, right. I don't think so.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
for 500k you can get a nice house on 10+ acres in leander in the hill country. I wouldnt settle for a tract home on a small lot.
Exactly.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 AM

80 posts, read 196,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Can you refer a 10+ acres in Leander with nice home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: