Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:52 PM

32 posts, read 146,495 times

Advertisements

Im convinced that the VAST majority of State of Texas jobs are posted with someone already in mind for the position. I have applied for countless of State jobs, which I am quite qualified (often over) for an have been unsuccessful in my attempts. I am left to believe that these jobs are reserved for individuals "they" have already chosen, but must post these vacancies due to the rules and regulations of the agency and state. Any thoughts?

Last edited by gulfpilot; 08-25-2007 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 07:34 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
I don't know about Texas but I had a government job in Florida and it was definitely like this. Even if they have someone in mind for the position, they still have to advertise it. Not sure if it's the same here as there but when applying for a government position, make sure you use "key words" from the job description. They actually go through the application and look for phrases and words that match the posted job description. Oh, another thing...it takes them absolutely forever to go through the actual hiring process.

Hang in there and good luck.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 14,433 times
Possibly true. My sibling has had several jobs and is currently working for the State of Texas. Besides the very first job, which was simply by applying and being qualified, the others have all been inside recommendations from one department to another. I'm sure many others applied for those jobs from the "outside" as well, but when you work in the capital you get to know and work with a bunch of different departments and can always make a call when you see a job come up that you're interested in. Knowing someone can definitely get your foot in the door but YOU still have to bag the job in the interview. Still, between 2 people equally suited for the job, it's human nature to go with the person you have a personal recommendation for.

The interesting part is my sib is not even in the "right" party. If the dems ever get power back, it'll be the ax! Too ironic. My point is "they" are more likely just other working people who know each other and are making recs to their superiors as favors to friends, as opposed to right wing nepotizers (yes, I am aware I just created a new word) looking to keep it a tight club.

Keep trying and good luck.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
the hiring policy for any state job--even a clerk job at one of the state colleges or janitorial part time work required that the job description be posted for a certain period of time before the interview process can start...
my son's fiancee was working at UT-Dallas and was not happy with her job...there was supposed to be a promotion-type job in same department that was going to open up--but it kept dragging out and dragging out....because they never posted the job...until they post, they can't interview...
so she took job after interviewing with UNT in Denton--more lateral move but she likes the people so much better, she has an office with window instead of a cubicle, and she thinks it will be easier to get promotion within UNT...so she is willing to make the longer commute...

I worked for the state's Dept of Health and Human Services--caseworker for food stamps/AFDC/Medicade almost ten years ago and more...it was hard to get people qualified to do those jobs, they hired infrequently and usually en masse---

it does help to use keywords from the posting--especially if it is an emailed application--they zap though through some type of scanner for certain words and phases that highlight the ones they call back...

you have to write a specific cover letter--not generic--for each opening...

Old 08-25-2007, 10:32 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
No, not true at all. I was a manager for 5 years at TxDOT. This is how it worked there but I am not familiar with other agencies...

First, every app gets to the hiring manager. HR does not screen them out at all. They just collect and put them in interoffice mail. Any job at or above paygrade B10 had to be posted publicly per dept policy. I witnessed over 50 hirings either by me or one of the other managers I worked with. I do not recall a single job that was lined up for anyone.

The problem most qualified candidates run into is that they don't gear their application to what the State wants. There's a section on the job requisition that's called "Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's)". If it lists an ability to lift 20 lbs. You MUST put on your application "I have the ability to lift 20 lbs because..." and explain why you have that ability. Hiring managers review your application for matches against the KSA's. Points are assigned to each KSA. The highest point totals got interviewed. There is no flexibility for managers to "read into" what the candidate's abilities are. it must be clearly spelled out in writing. The best thing to do is fill out the state app and attached a separate document that addresses each of the KSA's. Another sticking point was that you had to meet the minimum requirements listed. For example, if it required a 4-year degree in Computer Science and 1 year experience but you had a 2-year degree in CS and 20 years experience you were NOT qualified for the position. If you had one mark against you on the minimums, no interview regardless of your KSA point total. Stupid I know, but at TxDOT there was no room for flexibility on this whatsoever. They were scared to death of lawsuits so the hiring process was extremely rigid.

Last edited by achtungpv; 08-25-2007 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-26-2007, 12:45 PM

90 posts, read 471,939 times
I agree with the posts above, the application screener and the interviewer can not read into anything. If it is not listed or you do not say it, it can not be assumed. Current employees have the exact verbage necessary to score higher. You say "I have excel experience". They say " I have used excel to set up tables and filter data by resource and then graph accordingly." You can do the same thing but did not state it. The interviewer is looking for someone to do just that. It is easier for current employees to get a job because they know something about what that position does, by working with or around that position.

Whether they had someone in mind for the job or not, it has to be justified. As an apllicant to the position you can look at the final selection document in the Admin. Support office. (Human Resource Office) You can see exactly what your score was and why. You can view the initial screening materials and what your score was, this helps you to see what they are looking for. You can actually view your scores to the questions asked in the interview compared to the other applicants.

Yes, I work the Department of State and Human Services as a hiring manager.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
My husband was courted for a state job here, prior to our moving here. They found his resume on Monster... so they are looking outside of their current talent pool too.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Are you looking for entry level state jobs? I posted a comment or two about applying for them here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nt-austin.html

Anyway, most entry level jobs are very fairly, if not strangely, awarded. There are LOTS of people applying for those, though, so that sometimes makes them hard to get. If you look at the job requirements, you can sometimes tell if they are meant for a particular person because there will be an item or two that are very specific (e.g. '4 years experience working in the fiberglass industry'). However, if you meet all those requirements, they cannot simply award the job to the person that they want to, they have to consider all 'qualified' applicants. Most jobs that are intended for a specific person are often 'internal only' (but you should not see these anyways) for existing state workers.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Working for the State is hard. Basically its not what you know, it's whom you know...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM

32 posts, read 146,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Working for the State is hard. Basically its not what you know, it's whom you know...
Mike, this is quite apparent. I have applied for over 50 jobs with the State of Texas, and have been successful in securing 4 interviews. I have been grossly overqualified for numerous, based upon experience and education. I have yet to be successful in my search. I am utterly convinced that these jobs are posted with a candidate in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin