Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times

Advertisements

And you will learn all about "frontage roads" which mystify those from other places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyface123 View Post
In preparing to move there I was just wondering if there are any laws or other oddities that we should be aware of? I was told that it is common place around TX for people to move over to the shoulder to let faster cars pass- is that correct? Any other driving habits that someone not from there might need to know?? Laws concerning pets or kids or anything that maybe are not common place in other parts of the country?
Honking your horn is not commonplace like it is in other cities.
Give the guy in front of you some time to get going before honking.

And the passing on the left is also found more outside of Austin on roads like 79 and 77 where they are one lane in places with a wide shoulder. Inside Austin it's dog eat dog when it comes to the roadways.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Honking your horn is not commonplace like it is in other cities.
Give the guy in front of you some time to get going before honking.
Honking should be more commonplace. I am not happy about people texting oblivious while the cars pull away. So I let them know - with a small tap of the horn.

Pull out in front of me on a highway speed road and my horn gets used.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
For the sake of all that is holy, please don't refer to highways in Austin with the definite article (it's I-35, not "the 35").
Yes - I agree completely.

It is just "Mopac" - not "the Mopac" as if you were talking about the railroad.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:04 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If there's a shoulder lane, yes, that's been the tradition since I was a wee tot (and I'm pushing retirement age hard right now).
But cruising on the shoulder because you are slower traffic is not such a good idea in many places where the shoulder is a refuge for cyclists.

Don in Austin

Old 06-06-2014, 01:18 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yes - I agree completely.

It is just "Mopac" - not "the Mopac" as if you were talking about the railroad.
You people hate Southern Californians that much?

I'll never be able to call a freeway a "highway". Just never lol!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:24 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Don't get caught in Austin carrying wire cutters.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
You can go topless more places, likely, than where you are now .
"You must spread more reputation around before...." etc.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
i think some oddities you might notice in austin is the way some names are pronounced.

Burnet rd is burn-it road
manchaca is man-chack
pedernales is purd-in-alice to most people
lake buchanan is lake buck-an-on

don't get bbq confused with grilling food.
+1

Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
The speed laws are somewhat inconsistently enforced...I was stopped twice way the heck out 183 north for going FOUR mph over the limit(no tickets issued, thank you); yet as I travel through the active MoPac work zone @ 60 or just below(limit is 55), dozens of vehicles are passing me well in excess of the original 65 mph limit...WELL in excess. Seems like they enforced the limit when the work zone first opened, then left it up to the patients to run the asylum after that!

If you aren't going to enforce the speed limits in an active work zone, then WHERE ???

While it is generally OK to use an improved shoulder to allow others to pass...or to accelerate or decel for turns to the right, there ARE specific areas where this is not allowed(diagonal stripes or signs indicating it's a no-no)...one such area was just marked with signage on Parmer southbound @ Lakeline...TWO signs in the space of 100', yet people continue to cruise down the shoulder like nothing has changed.

Another thing that ISN'T okay is driving down the dual center turn lanes so popular around here. If you are turning off the highway, that move to the center lane should be done safely and in the shortest practical distance. Conversely, it is NOT an acceleration lane for those turning across traffic to enter the highway...traveling in that lane is a no-no...it is for waiting to pull into traffic OR waiting to turn left...NOT traveling. This is different from some other states(like GA) where is is allowable to travel quite a distance while merging or slowing down to turn.

Also, you take your chances with the front license tag decision. Ex-BIL has driven IN TOWN for 18 years with multiple vehicles and has NEVER installed a front tag! My Darling was chased down by a State Trooper on the fourth day after we moved here...wanting to know why the front tag wasn't in place

Watch your 'right turn on red', especially when there might be a vehicle making a U-turn from the lane coming from your right...they might have a green arrow...even if they don't, rolling a red to make a right turn is something the PO-lice seem to look for at certain times. On the other hand, there are intersections where people are going 15 mph right through the red in order to make their right turn.

Check the site explaining the process and time limits for registering your vehicle, getting insurance, inspection, etc...as well as your drivers' license...a slightly tricky process here in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin