Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times

Advertisements

Already seen a ton of car crashes.....more than usual...a car flipped upside down on grimes at 8 am, 4 car accident today on university, and about another 6 different car crashes.... Whats up with the lunatic driving? I thought people drove slow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
You're in transplantville. Get used to it. All about defensive driving over there.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Already seen a ton of car crashes.....more than usual...a car flipped upside down on grimes at 8 am, 4 car accident today on university, and about another 6 different car crashes.... Whats up with the lunatic driving? I thought people drove slow?
Search "Drivers" in this forum for an education on the real 'The Texas Way'. Welcome to Austin and Texas! BUCKLE UP.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 AM

404 posts, read 712,288 times
The transplants that come here are rat racers. They climb the ladder and push and shove to get ahead. I'm one of them.. its been 4 years, but I drive very mild and relaxed because I don't have to commute everyday in gridlocked traffic with crazy people.

You mix these A-Types from Socal, Boston, Chicago, New York, New Jersey and other big city competition cultures, and you get what we have here. Throw in the drunks and the idiots who are simply too slow mentally to be on the road.

Anywayz, its the worst. The traffic and the attitudes behind the rage machines. Its literally a significant risk being a commuter in Austin, the sold out capital of the world

Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 AM

320 posts, read 487,098 times
That's the first thing that I noticed when moving here a year ago. It's nuts. I worry every time my 74 year old mother gets on the road. People tailgate and honk at her constantly. Leave a little earlier people, what's the rush?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
I thought people drove slow?
Not unless you drive around on Sunday mornings. Believe it or not, I feel the safest times to drive around here are actually during rush hour. These are drivers that commute back and forth to work every day at the same time. They know where they're going and drive pretty safe because they take the same route every day. Whenever I'm out on the road mid-day or on a Saturday afternoon, I see a lot more indecision and aggressiveness on the roads here. It makes my 40 to 60 minute weekday commute during rush hour seem relaxing.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Not unless you drive around on Sunday mornings. Believe it or not, I feel the safest times to drive around here are actually during rush hour. These are drivers that commute back and forth to work every day at the same time. They know where they're going and drive pretty safe because they take the same route every day. Whenever I'm out on the road mid-day or on a Saturday afternoon, I see a lot more indecision and aggressiveness on the roads here. It makes my 40 to 60 minute weekday commute during rush hour seem relaxing.
Now i know why everyone drives trucks here...its because they drive like lunatics and are most likely to survive when they flip it over driving at lunatic speeds

Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
The transplants that come here are rat racers. They climb the ladder and push and shove to get ahead. I'm one of them.. its been 4 years, but I drive very mild and relaxed because I don't have to commute everyday in gridlocked traffic with crazy people.

You mix these A-Types from Socal, Boston, Chicago, New York, New Jersey and other big city competition cultures, and you get what we have here. Throw in the drunks and the idiots who are simply too slow mentally to be on the road.

Anywayz, its the worst. The traffic and the attitudes behind the rage machines. Its literally a significant risk being a commuter in Austin, the sold out capital of the world
This. Throw in a large percentage that only got their licenses within the past few years (UT) AND got them in other places with other traffic laws and other traffic customs, and it's hard to hold the line and maintain your cool and be the Texas friendly driver (though it's possible). And then the above get all mad at you because you're not driving like a bat out of hell in rush hour (or other) traffic.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Now i know why everyone drives trucks here...its because they drive like lunatics and are most likely to survive when they flip it over driving at lunatic speeds
Actually, you're not too far from the truth for some people, but it's the same thought across the U.S. in a defensive sense. I know many parents that purposefully let their teenage kids drive the family SUV, truck, or larger sedan instead of getting them a cheaper compact car and it's for safety. I've been commuting into downtown Austin for the past 8 years from the Northern suburbs and I've been rear ended twice during that time which I guess isn't that bad for driving on I35 everyday. The second time on I35, my bumper was only slightly dented, but the six cars behind me involved in the chain reaction from the big semi that plowed into our group of cars that were at a dead stop weren't as lucky.

But yes, I don't think anyone that actually drives here has any misconceptions about the dangerous traffic in the Austin area. It really isn't that much different than any other metro area of its size though. I've even seen some of the recent positive national reports about Austin finally stating the heat and traffic as (the only mentioned) negatives. I know quite a few people that refuse to drive on I35 at all. They will always take a longer route to avoid it.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 AM

109 posts, read 161,728 times
I disagree with the above theories. My experience here, and I've been here 10 years, is that the drivers here just aren't skilled. When you combine that with folks who think that 70 mph is an appropriate speed in rush hour traffic, it's a recipe for disaster. Most of my driving is on MoPac, and every damn day some idiot has rear-ended someone else.

Really people? This is really basic stuff - use your turn signal, keep a little bit of distance between you and the next car, and for Dog's sake, learn how to merge!

It's not that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin