Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 11,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

Manor is a dump.

Good luck.
That's rather harsh. This forum doesn't have an esteemed opinion of Manor for many valid reasons. But it is a nice little town not too far from Austin and it's experiencing growth. Folks are plenty friendly the many times I've been through. I went once to the annual Quicksand Farm square dance which is rather great of the community to put on and support. I don't see why people dismiss it so quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Just calling it like I see it.

On the plus side, they're empty nesters.....so the awful schools wouldn't directly affect them.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
I've been pretty happy in Cedar Creek/Wyldwood over the last 2yr or so.. West of Bastrop on 71, unincorporated, no HOA, high-speed internet available, fairly low taxes/few taxing entities. Lockhart's just a BIT too far away from Austin, and north/south driving just SUUUCKKSSSS, especially if you EVER have to go near I-35. 71 E/W is not nearly so bad (yet).
Why would someone who lives in Lockhart & works at the Airport have to travel on I 35? If I lived in Lockhart I would never/ever have to get on I 35 if I was visiting anywhere in the Austin metro.

It's a straight 20 mile, 22-25 min. shot up US 183 (or up the toll road if 183 is backed up for some reason).

Old 06-24-2014, 04:40 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
It's flat, there is a freeway running through town, the housing developments are indistinguishable from the ones in Katy and Sugarland, and there is good BBQ. That's about it-- You can think of it as far West Houston

There are far nicer places like Bastrop and Marble Falls

Old 06-24-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It's flat, there is a freeway running through town, the housing developments are indistinguishable from the ones in Katy and Sugarland, and there is good BBQ. That's about it-- You can think of it as far West Houston

There are far nicer places like Bastrop and Marble Falls
Elgin or Lockhart?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Elgin or Lockhart?
I was wondering the same, and thinking for either, that description pretty much means winkosmosis hasn't gotten off the highway by more than a block or two. In either town you can get the vaunted BBQ that way and never have a clue what the community is really like, just like you can drive on I35 - oops, the highway that runs right through the middle of town - and decide you know what Austin is like and not have a clue.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,914 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback & suggestions. I've viewed the wiki links to the cities mentioned of Bastrop, Lockhart, Camp Swift, Cedar Creek, Elgin & Manor, and have tried to make some comparisons. How built up are these cities, like in regards to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.? We don't mind eating & shopping at the small mom & pop shops & roadside style diners at all, but if larger stores (chains) are available, it's nice as well.

Since I would primarily be there alone most of the time, how would you rank them in regards to safety? How are the roads (183 from Lockhart, 110/535 from Cedar Creek, 71 from Bastrop, 20- from Elgin, 130/45 from Manor)? Google Maps is outdated, I'm sure!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback & suggestions. I've viewed the wiki links to the cities mentioned of Bastrop, Lockhart, Camp Swift, Cedar Creek, Elgin & Manor, and have tried to make some comparisons. How built up are these cities, like in regards to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.? We don't mind eating & shopping at the small mom & pop shops & roadside style diners at all, but if larger stores (chains) are available, it's nice as well.

Since I would primarily be there alone most of the time, how would you rank them in regards to safety? How are the roads (183 from Lockhart, 110/535 from Cedar Creek, 71 from Bastrop, 20- from Elgin, 130/45 from Manor)? Google Maps is outdated, I'm sure!
In order (rank) of availability of larger chain stores, grocery stores / restaurants etc.

- Bastrop (county seat, a nice town, lots of new (smallish) national chain stores & fast food restaurants, Seems to be growing quite a bit which is good or bad depending on your perspective).
- Lockhart (county seat, a little slower paced & smaller than Bastrop, a few smallish national chain store & restaurnts.....plus 2 (or 3) of the best (or at least most revered) BBQ restaurants in the solar system.
- Elgin (not a county seat, smaller still than Lockhart...but getting smallish national chain stores & restaurants because of it's proximity to NE Austin) But they got a brand new Walmart.
- Cedar Creek is more of an area (than a town) on a heavily traveled road between Bastrop & SE Austin.
- Manor (I already commented on...it's becoming a lower middle class suburb of NE Austin).
- Camp Swift (more of an area than a town & kind of out in the middle of nowhere)

Where would my 54 y/o wife feel safest &/or enjoy?

- The nicer (safer) areas of Bastrop or Lockhart she would enjoy equally (probably Lockhart because it's slower paced). These two would be 1 & 2. Or 2 & 1. (For your data points of safety, shopping & quality of life).

- Elgin would come in a distant 3rd.
- Don't know enough about Cedar Creek or Camp Swift....but since there isn't any there there, so she'd knock them off the list. (Tied for 4th)
- Manor would be last.

I wonder why no one's piped in with a Smithville recommendation (or La Grange?)

Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM

249 posts, read 492,149 times
Quote:
Why would someone who lives in Lockhart & works at the Airport have to travel on I 35? If I lived in Lockhart I would never/ever have to get on I 35 if I was visiting anywhere in the Austin metro.

It's a straight 20 mile, 22-25 min. shot up US 183 (or up the toll road if 183 is backed up for some reason).
It's pick-your-poison if you ever want to go downtown, frustration on 183 -> 71 -> I-35 (slightly less so now that the fustercluck that was Ben White + E. Riverside is mostly fixed) vs. stoplights and slow speeds on 183 -> Airport -> 7th ..

Thankfully, 71 hasn't been a problem so far for me.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 11,000 times
Hello. My family and I are considering buying a home in Elgin as well but I don't know much about Elgin. We are deciding to bypass Manor because of the views on the school district. I would like to know (from people who live in Elgin currently and have school aged children) how are the schools in Elgin; specifically the middle school? Is Elgin a nice place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin