Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
^^^We all know what the problem is (local single-occupant vehicle traffic), we need to talk about what the tollroad solution WILL BE (creating an incentive to carpool, make fewer vehicle trips, increase bus ridership, etc). A lot of the people I see on I-35 are driving by themselves, and they could care less that they are. Tollroads would fix that problem real quick.
Tee hee...snicker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Tee hee...snicker
Pardon? I don't follow.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
^^^We all know what the problem is (local single-occupant vehicle traffic), we need to talk about what the tollroad solution WILL BE (creating an incentive to carpool, make fewer vehicle trips, increase bus ridership, etc). A lot of the people I see on I-35 are driving by themselves, and they could care less that they are. Tollroads would fix that problem real quick.
Let us know how that works out.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Tee hee...snicker
okay I think I know what you're implying. A tollroad won't work for wealthier parts of town unless it added capacity. The locals brush it off and consider it a nuisance. A road like I-35 will see immediate impact because a majority of the people respond to financial incentive.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
okay I think I know what you're implying. A tollroad won't work for wealthier parts of town unless it added capacity. The locals brush it off and consider it a nuisance. A road like I-35 will see immediate impact because a majority of the people respond to financial incentive.
A majority of whom?
Will respond by doing what, exactly?...drive on already overcrowded surface roads and through neighborhoods?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
the tolls from I-35 would cover it, probably 10X faster than SH130 would, too.
Except that tolls on existing interstate highways are barred by federal law.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
A majority of whom?
Will respond by doing what, exactly?...drive on already overcrowded surface roads and through neighborhoods?
jeebus crunch, let me spell it out - The people who use I-35 tend to be blue-collar. If they had to start paying to use it, their behavior would change drastically compared to others who could easily afford tolls. When I'm on I-35, I see a LOT of single occupant vehicles belonging to poor people. They don't seem to care that they are stuck in traffic, either. There is an air of complacency, much like you would find in a place like San Antonio.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Except that tolls on existing interstate highways are barred by federal law.
It would no longer be an interstate highway. Please reread the thread - the idea is to SWAP the freeways.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
A majority of whom?
Exactly. But don't you know that all of those NAUGHTY people who use I35 and need to be forced to change their behavior to fit what we think is right for them to do have loads of extra money in their pocket to pay daily tolls to get to and from work and the other places they need to go?

Or drive way out of their way to 130 and back to get to work, at the cost of additional fuel.

Or change their behavior and all plan their job and errand and kid life around each other's job and errand and kid life all so that they can accommodate someone else they don't even know's idea of what their lives SHOULD be.

Yeah, right.

Snicker, indeed.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Sojourner - you have the problem identified correctly. Unfortunately your solution is based on the assumption that the tolls will be a deterrant. That is not correct based on history in many other cities. Chicago, DC, Denver, NYC and others (including Austin) have all added tolls to raise revenue based on the fact that ridership does not go down significantly on the highways when the tolls go in.

The American love affair with our cars and our individual freedom to get where we want to go when we want to go there is far too strong to be inhibited by a mere few dollars a day. Barring cultural change OR a mass transit that is quick, convenient, cost effective, and has the capacity to move people faster than the current traffic flow occurs in the immdiate future - Austin traffic is going to remain a problem for generations.

Since such a mass transit system requires large infrastructure investments (more than highways at this point) AND a paradigm shift in commuter mentality I suggest everyone get the car detailed and cleaned up so it looks and smells new and enjoy the ride. You're gonna be in traffic for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin