Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:01 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input everyone. As far as the 45 minute commute goes, I currently have it because I live 40 miles from where I work. In many areas in the country (not just Austin) the acceptable commute has grown because some of us refuse to be house poor or to spend a fortune to let someone else raise our kids. It is an unfortunate reality in the world today. Wife stays home and I go to work, including 1.5 hours per day in the car.

Walking 3/4 of a mile may help wear off a few pounds that I've gained sitting in the car anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Well, the issue is sitting in traffic for 45 minutes!...and adding to the already congested traffic from any direction. Not MY problem, as I don't commute nor do I need to get to that area during rush hour; but C-Ders have been quick to pounce on anyone who ASKS for a long commute. I guess we have just given up...with the lack of $200K homes anywhere near where anybody works!
Pretty much.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. As far as the 45 minute commute goes, I currently have it because I live 40 miles from where I work. In many areas in the country (not just Austin) the acceptable commute has grown because some of us refuse to be house poor or to spend a fortune to let someone else raise our kids. It is an unfortunate reality in the world today. Wife stays home and I go to work, including 1.5 hours per day in the car.

Walking 3/4 of a mile may help wear off a few pounds that I've gained sitting in the car anyway.
The problem is, with the congestion in Austin, you can go 15 miles and it will take you 45 minutes if you pick a location prone to gridlock - which pretty much limits suburbs with more affordable housing like Leander, Cedar Park and Round Rock. Unless you don't travel at peak times, all the roads inbound to Austin will be majorly congested.

If I were you, I would first look in the 78728 and 78729 zip codes. Both would offer a reasonable commute to DPS and while pickings are slim, you could find a house in the $200K range. I also think Pflugerville is a good option.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM

87 posts, read 376,366 times
My brother works at DPS (for many, many years) and commutes from Pflugerville. I believe he takes 130 south to 290 and cuts across there into town. Positive it takes him less than 45 minutes.

I would concentrate on neighborhoods in "Old Town", Brookhollow, Bohl's Place, Cambridge Estates, Highland Park, and possibly some of the newer neighborhoods in the Falcon Pointe/Blackhawk area. Traffic out in the newer neighborhoods is only going to get heavier, and I don't think the roads are going to catch up any time soon. These neighborhoods get you in some of the higher ranked schools (elementary/middle/high) and give you easy access to the main north/south roads.

Like everywhere around Austin, though, you've got to jump on property quickly. . . houses in our neighborhood in P'ville (one of the older neighborhoods) are staying on the market 1/2 to 1 day before being contracted, if that long.

Good luck with the move!

Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
If you want a 45 minute commute in Austin, find a house within 15 a minute rush hour drive of your workplace. In 2 or 3 years you'll have a 45 minute commute.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:51 PM

320 posts, read 487,098 times
The issue will be the large house for $200k, that will dictate a lot of the options.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:15 PM

Update: Hutto is the new homeland, with an affordable (relatively) 5 bdr house near Brushy Creek. Commute to DPS at N Lamar is 35-40 minutes using the 685 to Desseau Rd, to Cameron Rd, and 290 route. I35 is similar IF traffic is moving. Risk of delays is greater on I35. Toll road saves a few minutes but for almost $5 a day not seeming to be worth it IMO.

Thank you all for the input.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:53 PM

11 posts, read 20,677 times
out of curiosity, is the tech ridge park and ride convenient to you? the 801 stops directly in front of DPS offices on Lamar Blvd. Probably wouldn't save you time, but it would cut wear and tear on your vehicle (and probably your sanity, depending on traffic)

Old 10-23-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
out of curiosity, is the tech ridge park and ride convenient to you? the 801 stops directly in front of DPS offices on Lamar Blvd. Probably wouldn't save you time, but it would cut wear and tear on your vehicle (and probably your sanity, depending on traffic)
Not really. I'm half way to work already at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin