Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,654 times

Advertisements

centralaustinite - No, we don't have any pets..we just don't like apartment living. Been there, done that and had our fill of dealing with poor management when it comes to apartments. If we can't find a regular homeowner who is renting their home, then we will continue looking. We COULD go higher than $1000, but only if it will get us in the place we really want. We just don't want to be paying out the wazoo just because its a college area. We are responsible renters with stable employment.

A-Tex - I don't trust anything Craigslist has due to possible scams. I was only utilizing CL to see what was out there. I mainly found most places to only have 1 bathroom. Is that common in homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
You will pay out the wazoo because we are experiencing greater growth than what the rental market will accommodate! Almost 170 people move here everyday, most are not college students. Neither Montopolis nor Carson Creek will have many, if any, college students.

One bath homes are not uncommon in Austin, and in the sub-$1000 a month SFH rental market, I would imagine that most of what you will find will have just one bath.

You are very wise not to trust CL, you CAN trust Austin home search however, it is the public side of the Austin MLS. I think TOS prevents me from posting the list but it is easy to find with google.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
centralaustinite - No, we don't have any pets..we just don't like apartment living. Been there, done that and had our fill of dealing with poor management when it comes to apartments. If we can't find a regular homeowner who is renting their home, then we will continue looking. We COULD go higher than $1000, but only if it will get us in the place we really want. We just don't want to be paying out the wazoo just because its a college area. We are responsible renters with stable employment.

A-Tex - I don't trust anything Craigslist has due to possible scams. I was only utilizing CL to see what was out there. I mainly found most places to only have 1 bathroom. Is that common in homes?
A $1000 per month home rental simply doesn't exist here. This has nothing to do with students and everything to do with masses of people like you moving here and making the housing market incredibly tight. You're going to really need to change your expectations.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM

615 posts, read 781,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
A $1000 per month home rental simply doesn't exist here. This has nothing to do with students and everything to do with masses of people like you moving here and making the housing market incredibly tight. You're going to really need to change your expectations.
This. You cannot rent a single family house in Austin for $1,000 per month.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
This. You cannot rent a single family house in Austin for $1,000 per month.
Holy ****.

I was legitimately prepared to pop in the "oh yes you CAN" response with a link to some properties. There are legitimately NO SFH rentals under $1000 in Austin right now. Duplexes, fourplexes, condos, etc. bring you to 33 listings.

Go to $1,200, you can get into Hutto...

We've jumped the damn shark

Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
^^^^ I know!

I did the same thing. Ran a bunch of searches in Austin Home Search, even looking at the entire area (Liberty Hill, Smithville, Kyle, Jarrell and everything in between) there is nothing livable under $1000 and only five SFH homes at or under $1000 for rent at all.)

Old 07-14-2014, 01:15 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,654 times
We are even considering looking at Kyle and Buda, as they look like good cities. The commute time doesn't appear to be that much different, or am I wrong? Suggestions anyone?

Centralaustinite - I'll look into that "link" you suggested. Thank you!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Kyle or Buda are decent choices and the commute around the SE side of town to the airport isn't bad even on the surface roads, and the 45/130 toll road is an option.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:01 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,785,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
We are even considering looking at Kyle and Buda, as they look like good cities. The commute time doesn't appear to be that much different, or am I wrong? Suggestions anyone?

Centralaustinite - I'll look into that "link" you suggested. Thank you!
I don't see the upside to Kyle / Buda (vrs. Bastrop / Lockhart).

- further away, longer commute up I 35 (unless you take the toll, then add that expense) than Bastrop/Lockhart.
- middle (or lower middle) "family" areas. (lots of young families, it would be a good area if you were young or had kids......but you aren't & you don't)
- no pretty downtown courthouse & nowhere near the sense of community (that lockhart & Bastrop have)
- and because of accessibility to downtown & SW Austin, more expensive (for rent & homes) than Bastrop & Lockhart. (& you won't be going downtown or SW daily, since Hubby is going to the airport daily).

I don't know if you'll find anything in Bastrop/Lockhart, but they have got to be better options than previously mentioned Montopolis...or anywhere else in far east or far southeast Austin (my wife would shoot me if I moved us to either of these areas) & Bastrop/Lockhart have to be better than lower middle class/starter family suburban h*ll (at least it would be for a couple of empty nester 55 y/o) that is Kyle/Buda.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:20 PM

19 posts, read 21,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I don't see the upside to Kyle / Buda (vrs. Bastrop / Lockhart).

- further away, longer commute up I 35 (unless you take the toll, then add that expense) than Bastrop/Lockhart.
Buda/Kyle are just as close to the airport and you can take the back roads through Creedmore over to 183 to avoid tolls and 35.

Plus Buda/Kyle are closer to Austin than either Bastrop or Lockhart, which seems to be something the OP values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin