Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,400 times

Advertisements

As someone else pointed out earlier, it all depends on the individual teacher what your experience will be. Having said that, I would recommend that you scratch Bright Horizons off the list. We really liked it at first, but after about 7 months we started to notice the turnover rate was really high. The teachers are constantly quitting and / or being replaced. This becomes harder on a child the older, and more aware they become. The staff is all very friendly, and we liked the management ok, but I guess day cares are just difficult environments to work in, thus, people get burned out and quit often. Then the management has to scramble to find a replacement, and sometimes they find people who are in between jobs, and just do a brief stint, leaving the daycare when their 'career' job picks up again.

We really liked a few of the teachers at Bright Horizons early on but by the end, it was a negative experience and we pulled our child out when we felt enough was enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM

44 posts, read 270,669 times
Childs way located in the Oak Hill area has a wonderful mother's morning out program. Go to Child's Way Creative Learning Center - Home Page for more info.

I taught the 3 year old class here for 5 years and loved it. Most of the teachers here have been at this school for 5 or more years. Ratios are kept low to insure more of a one on one with your child. My daughter who is now 11 still talks about her days spent at Childs Way when she was 3-5. The program is play based but the curriculum is hands on- creating, cooking, etc... Lots of parent involvement and volunteering in classrooms, parties, workshops....

Registration begins in Feb for families currently enrolled and open to the public in March.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:17 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
There is a new childcare place on Westcreek Drive almost opposite Patton Elementary School. I drive by it once in a while. For many years it was a La Petite Academy but it closed a while back. I think it may be a Montessori type school, I don't remember the sign exactly since my youngest is 21.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Looks like the SW YMCA offers a MMO program. How is that branch?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM

17 posts, read 45,278 times
Thanks so much for all the much needed reccommendations. I guess our main problem is not knowing exactly where we will be located yet. This makes if very hard to get on waiting lists.

I have another question. I work at Mopac @ Spicewood. Does anyone know of any good places around that area.

I guess I need to clarify my that I will be looking for full time. I consider it part time, dropping him off at 8:00 and picking him up at 4:00 5 days/week but I think by most definitions at daycares that is still full time.

Anyway thank you again for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:21 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,747 times
Default ditto

Pretty much word for word that was our experience there. Identical.
Not to say that other preschools arent the same..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
As someone else pointed out earlier, it all depends on the individual teacher what your experience will be. Having said that, I would recommend that you scratch Bright Horizons off the list. We really liked it at first, but after about 7 months we started to notice the turnover rate was really high. The teachers are constantly quitting and / or being replaced. This becomes harder on a child the older, and more aware they become. The staff is all very friendly, and we liked the management ok, but I guess day cares are just difficult environments to work in, thus, people get burned out and quit often. Then the management has to scramble to find a replacement, and sometimes they find people who are in between jobs, and just do a brief stint, leaving the daycare when their 'career' job picks up again.

We really liked a few of the teachers at Bright Horizons early on but by the end, it was a negative experience and we pulled our child out when we felt enough was enough.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Does anyone have any information on Happy Hearts Bilingual on Manchaca?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
I haven't heard of that one before... when I Googled it, nothing really came up.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any information on Happy Hearts Bilingual on Manchaca?
Haven't heard of it, but if you are looking in that area, several friends are extremely pleased with Jackie's (Jackie's Pre-School and Private Education), which is a daycare/ preschool/private school. It is locally owned and quite well priced compared to others in the area. We did not take our daughter there for two reasons: 1) they were very new in the infant age daycare arena and 2) it was significantly further away from where we live/work than several other places.

Anyway, it ran ~20-25% less than most of the other places in the area and has excellent facilites (pool, gym, etc). Again, we did not go there, but it is something to keep in mind if you are living due south (as opposed to SW) or are coming from Buda/Kyle area.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 AM

Things are really up in the air right now. We are looking for a place to rent but are wanting something around $1500. I hate renting, wasting my money so we don't want a high rent which is limiting us on possibilities. Anyway I will check into Jackies. Most of the major ones have a 6 months waiting list. When we pinpoint out location I will let you know. Might need some more input....

The one I was considering was Happy Hearts Binlingual Child Development Center. I tried looking it up also but not much on the net for it. I was hoping somone might have heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: