Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsChicago View Post
I've lived in big cities like Chicago and small towns like Warsaw,KY. Each has it's charms, but the most important thing to me is to find a place with minimal government interference ( Freedom Map )
Minimal government interference in Austin? No, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsChicago View Post
...but the most important thing to me is to find a place with minimal government interference ( Freedom Map )
Ha ha ha. And Austin is on your list....

Austin is in NO way reflective of the politics of Texas as a whole, nor that map.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 PM

61 posts, read 88,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Ha ha ha. And Austin is on your list....

Austin is in NO way reflective of the politics of Texas as a whole, nor that map.

Population centers will always be more regulated and more expensive than other areas; that's a given.

Trying to find a location that has everything you want and none of the stuff you don't like will be a waste of time and end in disappointment. You're better off making use of available tools that aggregate data to describe environments and then select the option that best supports your goals.

By the way, Texas does very well in the overall tax burden category as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM

17 posts, read 26,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doriano View Post
So I'm moving to Austin from Chicago. I'm recently unemployed but have enough saved up for about 5 months in Chicago. I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm looking for neighborhoods where there is a younger population and things to do. I'm moving there with a friend who is also looking for a job, we both recently graduated from college and we think Austin is a great place to move.

Job openings? Biggest markets?
What is the nightlife like?
Restaurants/foodie expectations? Especially Mexican and BBQ!
Best/hippest and cultural neighborhoods?
What is downtown like?
Public transport (Thinking of buying a bike but what is their transport like down there?)
Crime?
Diversity?
LGBT?
Cheapest rent for one or two bedroom apartments? Average cost of living?

We are planning to move there in about a month or so? Thank you for your help!
Jobs, lots of entry level service jobs
Nightlife in Austin as a whole is pretty tame compared to Chicago
Can't beat Chicago in the food department, go to Houston.
Best neighborhoods for you would be East Austin, South
Public transportation sucks in comparison to the Chi, but the city is small
Crime, You'll be good coming from Chicago
Not diverse at all, mostly young white kids with tattoos and Mexicans
LGBT , people here don't really care
Your looking at one bedroom 750 and up.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:53 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
??? Non-sequitur. I (and two others) were simply replying to your:

Originally Posted by jsChicago
...but the most important thing to me is to find a place with minimal government interference

You said it was the most important thing to you. Not me. And we actually live here thus are qualified to comment

And you did post to a relocation forum... I'm assuming looking for insight... or rather to educate?

(And thanks for the tax tip/newsflash. None of us pay taxes here so we were unaware.)

Last edited by Idlewile; 07-31-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 02:51 PM

32 posts, read 156,621 times
Hmmmmm I'v been hearing a lot about East Austin! So I will definitely have to check that out! Are there any neighborhoods specifically in that area or should I just look for East Austin on Craigslist or something? And I'm glad there are many entry level jobs which is what I'm most looking for! Or working for Uni of Texas! Sounds like there are many Hipsters in Austin :-/ but I guess the frat/bro population should balance that out! I'm aware that Austin is smaller than Chicago for sure and that I won't have many of the things I'm used to having (especially in the nightlife department and food department! Will miss my Indian and Vietnamese and Arab/Mediterranean comfort foods for sure!) but I'm willing to give it a try! Thank you all for the input! greatly appreciate it!

Now to look at what entry-level jobs Austin has to offer! Any leads would be greatly appreciated! And since there is a great Mexican population as well, I'm guessing knowing Spanish will be a great asset to find a job and get around?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doriano View Post
Hmmmmm I'v been hearing a lot about East Austin! So I will definitely have to check that out! Are there any neighborhoods specifically in that area or should I just look for East Austin on Craigslist or something? And I'm glad there are many entry level jobs which is what I'm most looking for! Or working for Uni of Texas! Sounds like there are many Hipsters in Austin :-/ but I guess the frat/bro population should balance that out! I'm aware that Austin is smaller than Chicago for sure and that I won't have many of the things I'm used to having (especially in the nightlife department and food department! Will miss my Indian and Vietnamese and Arab/Mediterranean comfort foods for sure!) but I'm willing to give it a try! Thank you all for the input! greatly appreciate it!

Now to look at what entry-level jobs Austin has to offer! Any leads would be greatly appreciated! And since there is a great Mexican population as well, I'm guessing knowing Spanish will be a great asset to find a job and get around?
You'll be surprised at the amount of nightlife you'll find in Austin. It's a party town for sure. Austin is also somewhat of a foodie hub, so while you might miss some of your local Chicago spots, I think you'll definitely find some new favorites.

Regarding East Austin, start your search in 78702 (and maybe 78722). Just keep in mind that the eastside has the highest rent prices in town with exception of downtown proper. That said, it's a great place to live, with some of the best cafes, restaurants, bars, and music venues all in walking/biking distance. Downtown is also a short walk/bike ride away, depending on where you are. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanks Petro. How far are downtown and East side from UT campus life? I think being near a school as big as UT will give me some good options to meet people as well as an ex-fraternity guy I think it would be easier to find a group of like-minded people but would also like to explore other areas of the city if that is not possible. East side and Center look really nice and probably what I'm more looking for? And I'm a huge walker and plan to exercise a lot while I'm down there as it seems to be one of the fittest cities in the nation? Even with all the amazing food I've been reading about?! What would be the average price for a one bedroom in East side and Central Austin?

Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Zach? Is that you?

Seriously, you will love living here. Petro is spot on touting East Austin.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Bouldin Park sounds pretty interesting as well! Not too far from downtown? But if the prices are high in East Side, that might be a deal-breaker? Hopefully living on campus might be cheaper as well?

And that is one great Chicago-men list and pretty accurate! I might be Zach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin