Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:51 PM

20 posts, read 58,719 times

Advertisements

OK, I've been in Austin 2 years. In those 2 years I've worked for one company as a Web and Database Developer, however, for that company I developed using a very obscure language that no one uses. I am now unemployed, and am trying to find work, and since this was my first job out of college, am applying for both entry and junior level work as a programmer, business analyst, quality assurance analyst, pretty much anything in IT that doesn't require me answering phones, and am not getting anywhere. I have a B.S. in Comp Sci, and an A.A. in Communications.

I am checking Craigslist, Monsters, Career Builder, Indeed, Simply Hired, GlassDoor, Dice, almost every day, am going through recruiters who seem more interested in making their numbers than getting me a job. Does anyone have any recommendations for what a person living in Austin in my position should do I'm now 2 months into this bout of unemployment, and am starting to get cabin fever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:03 PM

785 posts, read 954,563 times
IBM
Dell
Amazon
Rackspace
Paypal

Just to name a few tech companies there.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:12 PM

101 posts, read 165,260 times
I work in IT as well (as a Linux admin), I was just wondering which language you were using?

Also, I'm surprised you can't find a job. I only have six months of experience, and I'm a high school drop out with no college. Even still, I've never been unemployed for a prolonged period, and even when I have a job I can't seem to fight off the recruiters.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM

The language was called 4D (4d.com), my last job required some minor Javascript, jQuery, HTML, and CSS. I'm terrible at whiteboarding so I've been practicing, but I'm not even getting called in for interviews.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:54 PM

101 posts, read 165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
The language was called 4D (4d.com), my last job required some minor Javascript, jQuery, HTML, and CSS. I'm terrible at whiteboarding so I've been practicing, but I'm not even getting called in for interviews.
Can we see the resume you're using? (Redacted as you see fit, of course)

Old 03-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
IBM
Dell
Amazon
Rackspace
Paypal

Just to name a few tech companies there.
I've applied to a handful of those, and have not even gotten a response.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:57 PM

[SIZE=2]I've hidden company names and information I've moved around a lot.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]TECHNICAL SKILLS[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Languages:[/SIZE][SIZE=2] Java, C#, ASP.Net, Ruby, Visual Basic, XML, HTML, CSS, C++, Javascript, jQuery[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Software: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Microsoft Office, Photoshop, InDesign, Sharepoint, Silverlight Premiere, Final Cut, Final Draft, Eclipse, NetBeans, Active Directory, Exchange Server 2007, Visual Studio.Net, TextPad++, Apache Tomcat, Product Studio, Illustrator, RightNow, Netobjects Fusion XI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Databases[/SIZE][SIZE=2]: 4D, MySQL, Oracle, SQL, Access[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Code Examples: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]https://github.com/**[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Company1[/SIZE][SIZE=2] – Austin, TX..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Software/Database/Web Developer/QA/BA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2012-Present[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Followed new functionality through entire Software Development Lifecycle, from requirements gathering to implementation[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Identified issues with existing business processes, proposed/developed solutions to improve operating efficiency.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Identified the organizations strengths and weaknesses and suggested areas of improvement [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Used my object oriented development skills in the 4D (Fourth Dimension) language to create a system to catalog, prioritize, and manage trouble tickets submitted by eCommission employees to be implemented in an efficient manner into the workplace system.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Assisted in the development of business related applications using 4D and Java for eCommission Financial Services both for internal company use.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Created web pages, and web based applications for eCommission Financial Services using a combination of HTML, Javascript, and jQuery, and 4D.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Tested all company software before launch using a variety of test cases.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Helped maintain the eCommission Databases using 4D.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Provided system, network, and desktop support to the Austin and California offices. Worked in conjunction with 3rd party software vendors to seamlessly integrate their services into the RDBMS. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Company2[/SIZE][SIZE=2] – Redmond, WA.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Office 365 Technical Support Agent (contract)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2010-2012[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=2]Answered calls from Office 365 and Business Productivity Online Administrators, and assisted them in troubleshooting issues pertaining to Business Productivity Online Suite.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Worked on troubleshooting service request for Office 365 and Business Productivity Online Suite administrators via Email and Chat within a service level agreement.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Followed standard help desk procedures.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Researched questions using all available resources.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Stayed current with any updates and changes that applied to Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite and Office 365.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Company3[/SIZE][SIZE=2] - Sarasota, FL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Technical Support Agent (contract)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2009 to 2010[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=2]Assisted Jackson Hewitt franchisees nationwide by setting up computer networks[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Designed, configured, and tested computer hardware, networking software and operating system software[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Diagnosed hardware and software problems, and replaced defective components.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Installed / troubleshooted all computer-related devices (video, sound, modem, printer, scanner, camera,a etcetera.), operating Systems and Internet connection issues[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Company4 (Same as Company 2)[/SIZE][SIZE=2] - Redmond WA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Bing Technical Support Agent (contract)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2008 to 2009[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=2]Field customer inquiries via email regarding issues surrounding the Bing cashback program for Microsoft. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Responded to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone and email[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Provided technical support and troubleshooting, PC/end-user support for technical issues such as system errors, program discrepancies, order research, and general program questions[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Diagnosed and resolved technical hardware and software issues[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Researched questions using available information resources[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Followed standard help desk procedures[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Stayed current with system information, changes and updates[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2](Personal Website).com –[/SIZE][SIZE=2] Shoreline, WA.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Webmaster/Designer/Editor/Writer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2010-Present[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=2]Designed and maintained the website PersonalWebsite.com using the website design software Netobjects Fusion.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Wrote weekly reviews of classic and cult home video releases for PersonalWebsite.com.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Maintained a professional working relationship with advertisers and home video distributors.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Company 5[/SIZE][SIZE=2] - Seattle. WA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Assistant Station Programmer/Production Facilitator (contract)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2008[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=2]Assisted community access producers with the operation, and maintenance of the equipment that was used to produce their shows. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Encoded DVD’s for play on the channel[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Created the daily program schedules for the channel[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]EDUCATION[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]B. University [/SIZE][SIZE=2]- Bellevue, NE, 2009-2010[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]B.S. in Software Development (3.3 G.P.A.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Junior College [/SIZE][SIZE=2]- Bradenton, FL, 2002-2006[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]A.A. in Digital Communications (3.2 G.P.A.)[/SIZE]

Old 03-30-2014, 03:55 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,530 times
Looking at your resume, I would delete the software section and stick to the languages which I would set as bold in my Past experience section. I would also mention any professional associations and groups. I would read thru Indeed.com and Career builder.com daily for any leads. (These seem to be most up-to-date in my opinion.) Good luck!

Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 PM

I'm not in any groups. As far as deleting the languages, does that mean I should add bullets to the academic section as my only experience with those languages is in an academic setting?

Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,530 times
Hmm..no I would simply list them. I would also try and work on some outside projects (as well as join some groups or meetups) so you could practice implementing and discussing those skills. In any interview, you're likely to asked questions regarding code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin