Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Phoenix area jobs, accounting recruiters, how to find employment, no degreed accounting jobs, networking, interviews, qualified applicants, turnover, candidate rejection

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 22,414 times

Advertisements

To anybody that has relocated to Phoenix Area lately, how did you find your job? I talked to two accounting recruiters today, and they indicated that there is absolutely no accounting jobs, not even for a degreed experienced accountant. I have my heart set on moving to the Phoenix area. My Mom lives in Surprise, so I have a place to stay while I search, to live for free. I see alot of jobs advertised on Career Builder, Jobing .com, and Monster.com. Do these jobs even exist? Are companies not using recruiters as much anymore due to the demaged economy?

Thanks all so much for your answers!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times
Like our weather, this town is bone dry in job creation and openings right now.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATENEWJERSEY View Post
To anybody that has relocated to Phoenix Area lately, how did you find your job? I talked to two accounting recruiters today, and they indicated that there is absolutely no accounting jobs, not even for a degreed experienced accountant. I have my heart set on moving to the Phoenix area. My Mom lives in Surprise, so I have a place to stay while I search, to live for free. I see alot of jobs advertised on Career Builder, Jobing .com, and Monster.com. Do these jobs even exist? Are companies not using recruiters as much anymore due to the demaged economy?

Thanks all so much for your answers!!!!!!!!
I have seen a little more than usual out there lately. I have mostly gotten my jobs from recruiters.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM

270 posts, read 1,109,896 times
I have heard it is hard to find a job here through recruiters. During boom time, it might be true. Now, you have got to do lots one-on-one networking to find job leads. If mom is here, you could give it a try by staying w/ her for a few months and look. A lot of company won't even offer an interview if they know you are an out-of-towner.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
"A lot of company won't even offer an interview if they know you are an out-of-towner."

Isn't that illegal? It sounds like discrimination to me. Isn't it about who is the best qualified for the job? If the local is better qualified, then hire away. If not, that is discrimination, plain and simple.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times
No, its not illegal, so long as they're not outright saying that you didn't get a job interview because you don't live in the area. Most of the application rejections I've received from California say something along the lines of "While your skills are commendable, we've decided to pursue other applicants at this time" or "Your skills aren't a match for what we're looking for in our applicants"

Its deliberately vague so that there's not a thing anyone can do about it.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Uh-huh. So IOW, the same thing that some companies do when they get an application from an otherwise qualified applicant who is either over a certain number of birthdays or the wrong color, and it's wrong, wrong, wrong. But you're right. By being deliberately vague, no one can say for certain why they weren't offered an interview so it all gets swept under the rug.

Do you think that this also applies for out of state nurses, since there seem to be a lot of job openings in the Phoenix area for experienced RNs, which I am? It seems that in a profession where there actually are a lot of openings, they would be happy to get anyone that they can, regardless of where they come from.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
It is not illegal to reject candidates from out of the area and actually makes sense in an area like Phoenix, many of the people that move here do not stay very long and turnover is expensive.

Even in the boom times many companies will not use recruiters, now that things have slowed a company has no reason to pay a fee to find an employee. I have worked in accounting for a long time and my advice is to skip the recruiters, respond to the jobs that you find posted on the internet and eventually you will find something.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
"A lot of company won't even offer an interview if they know you are an out-of-towner."

Isn't that illegal? It sounds like discrimination to me. Isn't it about who is the best qualified for the job? If the local is better qualified, then hire away. If not, that is discrimination, plain and simple.
Your physical location is not a "protected class" for purposes of discrimination. And any employer can reject any out of state applicant on those grounds legally.

Protected categories
Laws often prohibit discrimination on the basis of:

Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM

51 posts, read 159,510 times
I agree that lots of companies won't even consider someone living out of state if there are enough qualified applicants in town. It's just difficult, with an in-town candidate you've got someone who is stable, living here, and if they have a job, can start in 2 weeks if they give a 2 weeks notice. With an out of town applicant, in person interviews are more difficult to schedule (need more lead time to get a flight and some people probably expect the company to pay for them to come out), and then if they do multiple interviews during the process, they've got to make special considerations for an out of town person who has come in to interview, and then if they do hire you, a lot of the time it takes a whole lot longer than 2 weeks before you can start - and then often a lot of time off in the beginning while you're getting settled and dealing with delivery of your furniture and stuff, getting utilities set up, just general stuff. And lets say you're married, you move out so you can start in 2 weeks, your husband (or wife) is going to stay back to get the house sold and move. Let's say with the market, that your house can't sell, and you're stuck. So you either have to move back to your spouse, or you'll need to let the bank foreclose on your home or you'll have to rent it out... You can see why employers feel like it's a hassle to hire out of towners. If there are issues with finding qualified applicants, it might be worth hiring someone out of state, but if there are already more qualified applicants than they need, why deal with the hassle of hiring someone out of state...

I say stay with your mom for a bit and look for work while with her using her number and address - hopefully something will pan out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area