Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,664 times

Advertisements

The biggest trauma of relocating is finding a new hair cutter.

I have thick, wavy hair with several randomly placed cowlicks that I wear short. It is definitely hard hair to cut without weird "clumping" effects the next day.

Any recommendations in the central area? NW? I live in Northwest Hills (78731).

I'd like to keep it below $40 if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:01 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,574 times
Michelle Lasher at Salon Platinum. 512-626-6061. I have the total opposite hair, but she does one of my friend's hair and it sounds a lot like yours. She always looks fabulous. It's in Lakeway just accross from the Iguana grill.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,834 times
Funny to see this post, because I was planning to post almost the same thing. Except my thick, wavy hair is down in SW Austin. Are there any salons in this area with a stylist that can manage it for under $50.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:03 AM

198 posts, read 500,815 times
Thank goodness NC_newcomer started this "post." I was pondering this problem earlier in the week and afraid to post.
It is hard to cut wavy hair and I too need find someone, mine is thick, wavy and shoulder length. I went to a place on South Congress while our pets completed their in country quarantine and, well, it took forever to recover from that haircut ;-)
It was easy peasy in the UK to find someone since so many people have thick wavy hair, even us "old" people. Although I'll be in RR, I'll drive anywhere for a good haircut and under $50 would be a dream!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,724 times
I have superthick wavy/curly/frizzy on days hair and believe it or not Vivian over at Cool Cuts at Lakeline for kids does a great job. I know it sound strange but I have 2 kids and they were getting a haircut there and I needed one so I gave it a shot. She used to be a mgr of some place in Bee Caves or something like that. my mom gave her a shot and now goes to her as well as her neighbor...

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM

OK guys...here's the scoop:

I had leads to "Tanya at Topaz Salon" on So Lamar ($65+ tip), Rob at Aziz Downtown ($$ unknown), Method.hair ($50-60 + tip) , and Ann Kelso Salon @ 1400 S.Congress.

Phoned Method.hair, and the receptionist asked if I wanted a "technical or artistic cut." Huh?

Anyway, I this afternoon settled blindly for Suzanna at Ann Kelso, about whom I had read on YELP (caveat emptor). She had a cancellation at 4:30; next app't is Tuesday.

So far, so good: we talked for several minutes about what I wanted and she spent an hour on the appointment (about 45 min cutting time, after consultation and shampoo). Very careful, very methodical. Pleasant conversation, no hard selling of "product."

VERDICT: it is a good cut: balanced, smooth -- feels "right" to my hands. It is shorter than I like but we can work with that, and she may have needed to work around weird "clumps" from my last cut in January in NJ.

I will return in about 4-5 weeks to give her a second chance.

COST: $35 plus tip ( so I made it $40 -- was that a light tip?)

---------------

Does anyone else have updates or leads?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
OK guys...here's the scoop:

I had leads to "Tanya at Topaz Salon" on So Lamar ($65+ tip), Rob at Aziz Downtown ($$ unknown), Method.hair ($50-60 + tip) , and Ann Kelso Salon @ 1400 S.Congress.

Phoned Method.hair, and the receptionist asked if I wanted a "technical or artistic cut." Huh?

Anyway, I this afternoon settled blindly for Suzanna at Ann Kelso, about whom I had read on YELP (caveat emptor). She had a cancellation at 4:30; next app't is Tuesday.

So far, so good: we talked for several minutes about what I wanted and she spent an hour on the appointment (about 45 min cutting time, after consultation and shampoo). Very careful, very methodical. Pleasant conversation, no hard selling of "product."

VERDICT: it is a good cut: balanced, smooth -- feels "right" to my hands. It is shorter than I like but we can work with that, and she may have needed to work around weird "clumps" from my last cut in January in NJ.

I will return in about 4-5 weeks to give her a second chance.

COST: $35 plus tip ( so I made it $40 -- was that a light tip?)

---------------

Does anyone else have updates or leads?
Did she use texturizing shears?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
At that price my reference doesn't apply. However Anet at Kisma Salon is the best. She cut both my wife's hair and mine for over 8 years, and I am a very 'high-maintenance' person when it comes to my hair.

She's on the expensive side, but the results and service were second to none. Of all the things I miss most about Austin, she is in the top 3. Well worth the wait and the cost.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Did she use texturizing shears?
Nope. However, I told her at the outset that "thinning" my hair or using thinning shears is not allowed. If I had not said that, don't know what she would have done.

She used the tips of her small pointy scissors to "nip" at the ends of the hair after she had cut it, though. Interesting technique to blend after the straight cut across the hair pulled through her fingers.

The other stylist suggested to me at Ann Kelso is Sarah -- a bit more expensive (not enough to make a decision on), but no appointments until next week, and I was having a hair emergency. :-)

Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
Nope. However, I told her at the outset that "thinning" my hair or using thinning shears is not allowed. If I had not said that, don't know what she would have done.

She used the tips of her small pointy scissors to "nip" at the ends of the hair after she had cut it, though. Interesting technique to blend after the straight cut across the hair pulled through her fingers.

The other stylist suggested to me at Ann Kelso is Sarah -- a bit more expensive (not enough to make a decision on), but no appointments until next week, and I was having a hair emergency. :-)
Bummer, I won't go to anyone that doesn't know how to use texturizing shears - otherwise they use a razor blade which has awful results. I prefer to have my hair thinned a bit for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: