Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,746 times

Advertisements

We just relocated to Austin from the Northeast(Boston, New Hampshire areas) two months ago, and I was wondering about the neighborhood we moved into. We live at the AMLI at Scofield Ridge apartments in North Austin. I work out of the apartment, so I haven't had the chance to do much exploring of the city thus far.

Is this a decent neighborhood? And what places are good for a couple with no kids in their 20s to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times
You live in a decent/safe neighborhood, but it's pretty boring there, and it's not a place I'd live if I were in my 20's. Old Austinites believe that the northern boundary of Austin ends at where Anderson cuts through Mopac and 1-35. I think this is true. After that point, you really don't see the "flavor" of Austin. If I were you, I'd move into the city proper - in that way, you can experience Austin the way it's meant to be experienced (I live in 78703, and I'm in your neck of the woods maybe once a year).

As for places to check out, there are plenty of hot spots in the Warehouse District, downtown. Good local shopping, too.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times
What kinds of things do you like to do?

If you're where I think you are (off Parmer Ln. somewhere between Mopac and 35), there are a few nearby things to do. The Arboretum area isnt' that far. There's shopping and lots of dining options also. There's a little shopping at Arbor Walk (360 I think and Mopac).

If you like hiking, take Parmer to past Mopac and turn left on Amherst Dr. then left at the park. There's a small hiking trail behind the park and in the summer there was a gorgeous stream there. Maybe it's a trickle now but it was a nice place to hang out.

I believe there are bike trails in the Scoffield Farm housing tract but I can't remember exactly. However, it's not that much of a jaunt down to Zilker/Town Lake area if it's not rush hour.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,746 times
We generally enjoy doing just about anything, as long as we are together(As sappy as that sounds) Personally, I just need to get out of the apartment more, as working at home has the large disadvantage of isolation. Some days I feel like Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:42 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times
You are very close to the Domain for high priced shopping and restaurants. The Daily Grill has a good happy hour with appetizers going for $2.

You are also close to some good ethnic restaurants:

-- Bombay Express (near the Walmart at I-35) for cheap and amazing vegetarian indian food.
-- Chinatown center (near Lamar/Braker) - try First Chinese BBQ and Lily's sandwich.

For bars, you can try the new Opal Divines in front of the Fry's at Parmer/Mopac or Little Woodrows further up Parmer a bit.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:51 PM

361 posts, read 1,164,039 times
You're fairly close to some decent shopping, but I agree with Melissa. Move closer in to get more of the flavor of the city.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:05 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Walnut creek park is an excellent park for mtn biking and various other activities, including hiking. It is on the SW corner of Parmer and Lamar (right before I-35).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: