Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,968 times

Advertisements

I have seen Austin labeled as all three. I am sure some will say it is a mix. What aspects of Austin do you guys believe make it southern, southwestern, or western?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

543 posts, read 1,740,757 times
It's in central Texas...como Mexico no hay dos.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
It's a Southern city and a Western city, WITH a long history of Mexican-Americans living here - Austin was founded by whites, unlike San Antonio, which was founded by Spaniards.

Austin was founded where it is by intent, a crossroads of several cultures (as well as being in the middle of the state).

The term Southwestern really is only used here as a reference to the rest of the USA. Tucson and Albuquerque are "Southwestern" cities as per a cultural term.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
It's a combo of all of the above, as well as Mexico!

Southern: We take our hats off indoors, we actually greet people, we open doors, say ma'am and sir and show respect to our elders (for the most part).

Southwestern: We (even the city dwellers) love the country feel, most can get along on a basic level outdoors, and we love our space even in the city.

Western: Well, there are some areas within the "city" limits that still have acreage and horse, cows and such. There are quite a few people who can ride, rope and stay outdoors for days...literally. The "don't fence me in" mentality and "if you're not bothering me, I don't really care" stance well tells you everything. Basically, as John Wayne said:

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I agree, it's a combination, but mostly it's a Texas city (which is pretty much the same thing).

And what John Wayne said, too.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
I think of Texas in general as Southern. When I think western, I think Arizona or even Colorado. It doesn't help that there are public schools that have Rebel Flags as part of their athletic uniforms or that they sing Dixie at football games (I am thinking specifically of Hays, but I know there are more throughout the state).

Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Nah, Texas isn't Southern. There's Southern influence, granted. There's also Mexican influence, Western influence, German influence, Southwestern influence, and so forth.

Texas is just Texas. Attempts to force it into one of these other categories says more about the person trying to do the forcing than it does about the state itself.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,169 times
I haven't found Austin to be "Southern" either. If you order iced tea here, it is usually unsweet by default. The only people with southern accents in Austin are originally from the real South (Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia, etc). There is no prevailing accent in Austin that I have noticed at all...the people sound like they could be from anywhere (and with so many transplants, they usually are). I'll occasionally notice a Texas accent (with sounds different than a Southern accent), but even that happens very rarely. I've never seen a Rebel (confederate) flag in Austin, and I can't remember ever seeing one anywhere else in Texas either. Comparatively, I saw them all the time when I lived in Missouri (a border state that did not secede from the Union)

I don't think of cacti growing in the South. Austin has cactus growing everywhere. Just about every river in Central Texas is named in Spanish too (Guadalupe, Frio, Comal, Blanco, etc). I'll agree that there is some Southern influence (the hospitality, warm climate, country musicians, extreme popularity of football, and BBQ), but Austin feels nothing like Alabama to me. Texas is Texas...you can't easily lump it in to any region...as TexasHorseLady says, the influences of what Texas is today come from many, many places.

The area around Texarkana does feel fairly Southern to me, at least from driving through it. But that part of Texas is surrounded by Louisiana and Arkansas.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,736 times
Its South By Southwest.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:06 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
It's a Southern city and a Western city, WITH a long history of Mexican-Americans living here - Austin was founded by whites, unlike San Antonio, which was founded by Spaniards.
Um....Spaniards ARE 'whites'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin