Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Then that's what you should have said. You can't say:

and not expect some counter battery fire. You can say I'm excited about a piece of home without calling what's here "garbage".

One thing my father taught me: Don't go to a man's town, and criticize it. Won't end well. You can be all for what you miss. It's the other part that got you in trouble.
It all started with Ausinites running down "Chicago chain garbage."

Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried Via 313?
Via 313 is SO good. Now, I'm hungry.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Well no. You're just a little defensive and thats OK.

You'll be fine.

There just aren't so many Italian types in these here parts.

I blame Sacco and Vanzetti.

Nope. Not defensive at all. I, like many long term Austinites, are tired of the constant drone of transplants telling us how much better things were where they previously lived and how we don't understand what "real" whatever is. I travel all over the world for business. I have for many years. I've experienced a lot of "bests." I can tell you that the "best" whatever is all a matter of personal taste. Some people -- even those born and bred in Chicago -- dislike Chicago style pizza. To categorically determine something is the best somewhere and say it can't compare in other places is ridiculous and tiresome. It's not a matter of better/best. It's simply different.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:58 PM

390 posts, read 671,376 times
Quote:
Then that's what you should have said. You can't say:

and not expect some counter battery fire. You can say I'm excited about a piece of home without calling what's here "garbage".

One thing my father taught me: Don't go to a man's town, and criticize it. Won't end well. You can be all for what you miss. It's the other part that got you in trouble.

The first post of mine you quoted was in response to A-Tex. The second post was in response to a rather feisty couple of posts from Petro. I will admit that I may have been a little to strong with my language, but it was in response to some pretty sharp attacks.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
The first post of mine you quoted was in response to A-Tex. The second post was in response to a rather feisty couple of posts from Petro. I will admit that I may have been a little to strong with my language, but it was in response to some pretty sharp attacks.
You do realize that there is a transcript of the conversation? The only one handing out "sharp attacks" has been you, calling Austin pizza options "garbage" and "pizza in Austin is pathetic" and "I don't expect much from pizza or Italian in Austin." Then you go on to say that Austinites couldn't possibly know what "good pizza" is unless they've lived in Chicago or NYC. Please look in a mirror before you start dealing out criticisms.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
And now for the objective subjective assessment that leaves Austin out of it:

Chicago pizza is a hot loaf of bread covered with sauce. I wont refuse it, but it's not the best. The best is 780 miles east of Chicago.

I think I'm a bit floored by all of this because this is the usual argument I hear about Chicago pizza.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:20 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Nope. Not defensive at all. I, like many long term Austinites, are tired of the constant drone of transplants telling us how much better things were where they previously lived and how we don't understand what "real" whatever is. I travel all over the world for business. I have for many years. I've experienced a lot of "bests." I can tell you that the "best" whatever is all a matter of personal taste. Some people -- even those born and bred in Chicago -- dislike Chicago style pizza. To categorically determine something is the best somewhere and say it can't compare in other places is ridiculous and tiresome. It's not a matter of better/best. It's simply different.
You sound defensive.

Not as defensive as we have back East.

Now THATs defensive.

Really these local (usually a former transplant) vs transplant conversations are complete bullsh$t and accomplish as much as complaning about COL, housing, traffic and hipsters.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Yes, Austin does have amazing pizza. Better pizza than this crappy Chicago chain will ever serve up (nice Yelp reviews BTW—even the locals hate it). You should stop living in your Chicago past and start enjoying what Austin has to offer—you chose to move here after all. Gino's East will shutter just like Mangia Pizza did.

Your last paragraph shows just how little you know about the Austin food scene. 'Nuf said.
Because this wasn't rude at all.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
.... accomplish as much as complaning about COL, housing, traffic and hipsters.
Err... uhhhh, I wonder what would we all talk about if we didn't have these things.

OH. YEAH.

Barbecue.

edit: and bugs and snakes!!

Old 09-10-2014, 02:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Err... uhhhh, I wonder what would we all talk about if we didn't have these things.

OH. YEAH.

Barbecue.

Barbecue.

The great unifier!

Offhand, who would you say has the best Barbecue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin