Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:08 PM

157 posts, read 347,638 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I’m a born-and-raised New Yorker who’s been tossing around the idea of relocating for quite some time now. I live in the suburb of Westchester County, about 10 miles out of central Manhattan. I’m in my mid-twenties and started working in the media planning industry right out of college, but made a move into the tech sector about two years ago. I’ve spent my entire life living in New York, except for four years of college in Maine.

I love it here. I really, really do. My family is here, my friends are here (well, some of them) and my job is here. So why do I want to leave? Well, I’m not really sure. My job is making me absolutely miserable and I want to make a change. Cost of living in New York is incredibly high. When I tell people a one-bedroom apartment can cost $2,000+ they look at me like I’m crazy. I utterly detest snow and hate the cold. I did four years of college in Maine; I’ve had enough snow and sub-zero temperatures to last me a lifetime!!! Give me 90 degree sunny summers and mild winters and I’ll be happy! I guess I’m thinking a major change in my life might not be such a bad idea right about now. The advice from my family has been along the lines of, “you’re young—move around now before you have anything major tying you to any one place.”

A bit about me: I’m mid-twenties, have a BA, work in tech (though I’m open-minded about career changes), love food (I guess you could use the term “foodie”—though I hate it), love outdoorsy activities (biking, hiking, swimming, etc.), and am into all sorts of music… I’m also gay (though from what I’ve read and been told this is not even remotely a problem in Austin). Politically I’m interesting; I guess you could say I’m fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I’d say I’m split in the middle, with a tendency to lean right, though I often vote independent (Libertarian).

So why do I think Austin could be a good fit for me? It seems Austin has a pretty booming economy with some decent jobs available—especially tech related jobs. There seems to be an abundance of people similar to myself (young, educated working professionals). The winters are much milder than what I’m used to and the summers give me the heat I’m seeking (though perhaps to an extreme as I’ve been told). There seems to be a lot of outdoorsy related activities and the city seems to be full of fit, healthy residents. The “Keep Austin Weird” mentality seems to be that quirkiness with which I jive well, and I’d imagine makes for an awfully fun place to live.

I suppose I haven’t really asked any questions or sought out any advice. This might just be another one of those “I might want to move to Austin” threads that pop up so often, though I’m open to any advice, information and wise words of wisdom anyone has to offer me!

I suppose my next step should be securing a few interviews, planning a visit and researching various neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,583,809 times
I don't know if you would like it here or not. I think you should take a vacation here for a week or two in August to see what you think of it all. August....because you need to see if you really do want the hot summers. It sounds better than it is.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Maybe?

In general folks from New England tend to have the very hardest time adjusting, New Yorkers seem to either love Austin or hate it. Come and visit.

The heat is real, just had a neighbor move away because he couldn't handle the heat (and this was a mild summer) it was the high heat at night that did him in. Walking the dog in the dark at 9 pm when it is still 95 degrees is typical.

I would guess that there are a million things about your current life that you are taking for granted can't be duplicated here . . . the USA can still be highly regional. Hope you aren't attached to egg sandwiches, never mind pizza and bagels.

good luck

Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Maybe?

In general folks from New England tend to have the very hardest time adjusting, New Yorkers seem to either love Austin or hate it. Come and visit.

The heat is real, just had a neighbor move away because he couldn't handle the heat (and this was a mild summer) it was the high heat at night that did him in. Walking the dog in the dark at 9 pm when it is still 95 degrees is typical.

I would guess that there are a million things about your current life that you are taking for granted can't be duplicated here . . . the USA can still be highly regional. Hope you aren't attached to egg sandwiches, never mind pizza and bagels.

good luck
Some interesting responses! Very different than the responses of Nashvillians when I posted in the Nashville sub-forum. (I've been to Nashville three times in the past two years and absolutely fell in love with the city and, as a result, have it on my relocation list as well).

I wouldn't say I'm "taking things for granted." I have a pretty wonderful life compared to the average twenty-something in America, I'm just thinking it might be time for a change. Given I want to pursue a new job, it seems like the opportune time to move.

Pizza and bagels... two foods I rarely consume, despite living in NY. Egg sandwiches? I make my own.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:21 PM

399 posts, read 974,878 times
I've lived in Austin for a long time and I like it fine, but I honestly don't understand why someone from New York would want to move to Texas. I like Austin, but Texas depresses me. I've gotten in trouble here for saying that, but it's true.

Can we trade places?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
I've lived in Austin for a long time and I like it fine, but I honestly don't understand why someone from New York would want to move to Texas. I like Austin, but Texas depresses me. I've gotten in trouble here for saying that, but it's true.

Can we trade places?
Heck yea! I'd love to do a temporary/trial swap .

Why would someone from New York want to leave? Rent for a small one bedroom is $2,000/mo. Utilities, food, gas, etc. is insanely expensive (I spend about $4.40/gallon of gas). Our income tax is rate is high (don't forget the "city tax" if reside in any of the boroughs). Our sales tax is high (#7 in the country). We were rated 50 of 50 for economic outlook. There's snow, yet nowhere to put any of it. There's also heat--have you ever smelled New York in the summer? There's too many damn people and we're stacked right on top of one another. We're all in a hurry. Life is all about what you do, what you wear, where you live and what you drive.

In the past decade, New York has seen the greatest percentage of its population leave, compared to any other state. Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in America. You're also rated as one of the top cities for college educated 20-somethings to relocate. Research--conducted by the Empire Center for New York State Policy--shows New Yorkers are packing their bags and moving to the southern states, primarily Texas and Florida.

I guess I'm seeking a change; I've lived in New York for 25 years! A lot of people dream about living here, they aspure to get here and, when they do, they're often crushed when they realize this city isn't what they thought; it's not what you see portrayed in movies/TV shows.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM

399 posts, read 974,878 times
I've lived in the South all my life. I'm sick to death of the conservative politics, which you can't get away from even in Austin, and the evangelical Christianity (which Austin has less of, but leave Travis County and say hello to the megachurches). At some point before I die, I'd like to know what it's like to live in a state where the elected officials and the majority of the populace are not rabid Tea Party evangelicals.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM

62 posts, read 77,605 times
My advice.....come here on vacation. Spend a week and do it in the summer.

I moved here a little over 4 years ago from Philadelphia.

Likes: Friendly People (for the most part), hiking (green space), food/beer options, October to May, UT football, Lower Crime, Tons of stuff to do, Dog friendly (for the most part).

Dislikes: Traffic/Lack of Good Public Transportation, Summer HEAT (I am so f'n sick of sweating), HUGE trucks/SUVs (that think they own the road), Crowds (there are too many people moving here for the infrastructure), Expensive apartments/homes (not NY level but expensive), Rattlesnakes, Lack of water.

This one may sound odd.....but all the derogatory statements made about people living in Texas most of them political in nature. I am apolitical and I am sick and tired of being grouped in with......whatever political party someone dislikes.

I'm actually starting to research places to relocate. Austin has been pretty good to me since I have been here but I think it is time to move on. The traffic, summer, and crowds are getting to me.

My $.02.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
Heck yea! I'd love to do a temporary/trial swap .

Why would someone from New York want to leave? Rent for a small one bedroom is $2,000/mo. Utilities, food, gas, etc. is insanely expensive (I spend about $4.40/gallon of gas). Our income tax is rate is high (don't forget the "city tax" if reside in any of the boroughs). Our sales tax is high (#7 in the country). We were rated 50 of 50 for economic outlook. There's snow, yet nowhere to put any of it. There's also heat--have you ever smelled New York in the summer? There's too many damn people and we're stacked right on top of one another. We're all in a hurry. Life is all about what you do, what you wear, where you live and what you drive.

In the past decade, New York has seen the greatest percentage of its population leave, compared to any other state. Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in America. You're also rated as one of the top cities for college educated 20-somethings to relocate. Research--conducted by the Empire Center for New York State Policy--shows New Yorkers are packing their bags and moving to the southern states, primarily Texas and Florida.

I guess I'm seeking a change; I've lived in New York for 25 years! A lot of people dream about living here, they aspure to get here and, when they do, they're often crushed when they realize this city isn't what they thought; it's not what you see portrayed in movies/TV shows.
I'm a New Yorker. Same can be said of down here as well only substitute "portrayed in movies/TV" with "what is written about in print media". It isn't all that inexpensive either any longer. It's beginning to be people stacked on top of one another here too. I don't want to sound anti-transplant when I am a transplant myself, but it's gotten nutso with the amount of people clogging up the roads.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,577 times
Firstly, as others have mentioned, you need to forget all the internet hype you've read that have sold you on our town. Austin does not remotely resemble the town it used to be. Here are the realities.

1. The weather. It is not "90 degree sunny summers and mild winters" here. The summer average are May 87, June 92, July 96, August 97 and September 91. We have more 100 degree plus days in there than most of us who live here would want. And it is humid as heck. I can't stress this enough. As others have said, you really need to come spend some time here in July/August and understand the reality. Our winters are not nearly as mild as you're imagining either. You won't be getting rid of your winter coat.

2. Over 100 people (and possibly closer to 200 people depending on which sources you look at) are moving here every single day. Those people are your competition --- for jobs, housing and every other resource you can imagine. Additionally, the University of Texas is one of the largest colleges in the US and is cranking out thousands of grads every semester. Many of them don't want to leave and are willing to work for significantly lower wages to stay. And those 100 - 200 people per day are desperate enough to move here to consider much lower salaries as well. Salaries are severely depressed here and not keeping up with the skyrocketing cost of living, so even though you're see "Howdy, bargain town!" it isn't.

3. Among those skyrocketing cost of living issues is housing. We're significantly short on housing, so the costs have risen dramatically. If you're looking for a one bedroom that isn't a rat hole and is in a good part of town close to all the "action," you're looking at something starting in the $1300 range, and they spiral up from there. Couple that with a significantly lower salary, and you'll see your economic bonanza isn't nearly as significant as the internet will lead you to believe. (And to be clear --- there are lower priced possibilities in the burbs, old and non-updated complexes outside etc., but you're still looking at four figures.)

4. "Work in tech" can mean many different things. Generally engineering types are the ones who find a big wide range of opportunities.. Other areas without a lot of local connections can be very difficult to break into. Again, that whole competition factor.

5. Although Austin is very open minded, the gay scene may not meet your expectations. Although I can't speak from personal experience, my gay friends describe Austin as "meh" and too small. There are more possibilities in Dallas and Houston, especially if you are used to the vibrant NY scene. There are also significant job opportunities in those cities as well as a lower cost of living. (Austin is the most expensive city in Texas.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin