Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 32,131 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are partial to homes of the styles shown in the photos. I guess we can call them modern, or industrial farmhouse or whatever. Is there any particular neighborhood in Austin that would have a higher percentage of such homes? Usually they are medium size with energy efficiency as a priority.

Just driving around the streets of Austin on Google Maps I've stumbled upon such homes in various places. Just wondering if folks who like such homes would be drawn more to any particular area of town.

Thanks - Dr G

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,232,184 times
Whichever neighborhood you and your architect decide to buy your tear-down in.

These are custom homes built by those who appreciate the modern farmhouse aesthetic, they are not necessarily as common here, say, as they are in southern and northern CA.... You're not going to find a plethora of neighborhoods that offer them but you will see them from time to time in the more upscale, close-in areas (expensive) where folks have the money and vision to raize and re-build. There are some great local architects that specialize in that aesthetic like Cuppette Architects.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:58 PM

743 posts, read 1,377,687 times
I've only seen them scattered in random locations. I can't think of any neighborhood where they are clustered.

Many are new homes built after a tear-down, and some are remodels.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,172,546 times
Agave, East of Austin Agave, Agave Austin, Agave 969, Agave modern, Nine Sixty Nine, Modern Homes

Old 09-25-2014, 06:35 PM

895 posts, read 1,243,649 times
West Austin...along say mesa Dr has various homes that fit. But again its not the entire neighborhood but I've seen them throughout the west of MoPac side of town.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,163,624 times
I don't know, but that last one looks like the Brady Bunch house.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:29 PM

83 posts, read 217,746 times
Anywhere between Airport and 35 on the east side. Seriously, just drive around pretty much any road in that area and you're guaranteed to find homes like these.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,140,627 times
They are all around central Austin -- east, south, west, north. Just stay close in and you will find them. As was already said, they exist where ever tear downs have been common.

If you need neighborhood names, Travis Heights, Bouldin, Zilker, Holly Street, East Austin, Chestnut, French Place, Hyde Park, Skyview, Brentwood, Crestwood, Allandale, NW Hills, Highland Hills, Tarrytown.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,742,278 times
You can find these homes mostly an urban infill areas in Central, East, and West Austin. Many residents seem to either love or hate them, some see them as a forward vision of art and sustainability, while other groups view the structures as "non-conforming" (with the surrounding neighborhoods or as an example of gentrification).

The Modern Home Tour Austin occurs yearly and regardless of your feelings towards such structures, the photos of the featured homes look remarkable!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 32,131 times
Thanks folks.

That Agave 969 is a pretty cool development. I'm not too hip on developed areas, especially not if they are gated or have an HOA. But very cool nonetheless.

I'll check out the recommended areas.

That does sort of look like the Brady Bunch house, except that was a split level. It's in the Valley, I've driven by. It would actually make a very cool remodel.

I grew up in Marin, and now live in the LA West Side. There are not really all that many homes in this style here. Only really in Santa Monica, Venice and Manhattan Beach. Marin I'm not so sure about these days. I did grow up in a Marin Eichler though.

Dr G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin