Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Coach, personally I wouldn't want to live by a train. I've been told by multiple people along the line that the freight trains pass by at night in addition to Metrorail during the day. Ugh. Also, the mark up isn't worth it IMO, not when the train itself only runs during commuter hours, cuts off at 6:30, doesn't run on Sunday, and doesn't run during the morning and early afternoon on Saturdays. I'd just drive the little distance to the station and save money, but that's just me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Coach, personally I wouldn't want to live by a train. I've been told by multiple people along the line that the freight trains pass by at night in addition to Metrorail during the day. Ugh. Also, the mark up isn't worth it IMO, not when the train itself only runs during commuter hours, cuts off at 6:30, doesn't run on Sunday, and doesn't run during the morning and early afternoon on Saturdays. I'd just drive the little distance to the station and save money, but that's just me
We have some friends who have homes that back up against the rail portion that runs through central Austin. I've been in those homes when the non-commuter trains run through and it's like an earth quake. In fact, that's what I thought it was for the first few seconds until I remembered the train tracks.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:49 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
We have some friends who have homes that back up against the rail portion that runs through central Austin. I've been in those homes when the non-commuter trains run through and it's like an earth quake. In fact, that's what I thought it was for the first few seconds until I remembered the train tracks.
Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want to live next to the tracks either
But, every property along the rail line has sold in a flash...we even looked at a condo that was closer than any of the cottages being discussed. Fortunately, our townhouse is about a half mile away instead.

I'm sure plenty of folks will take advantage of the literal walking distance to the train and might believe the tiny spot of land their unit sits on is a country club compared to the 600 sq ft apartment they left behind in NYC or Boston! Different strokes-- as they say!

Again, if this Northwoods development had been built TWO years ago, the prices would have been a fair bit lower and the sales not nearly so brisk. As it stands now, even the $500K homes next door to the cottages are selling faster than they can build them! Ha! Just think if 'they' had put a Trader Joe's right up the street as I suggested!!!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:21 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
I'm about 5 houses down from the red line tracks, in a house built in 1963 (so many windows still single-pane, etc.). If you're outside, or inside with the TV off, you can tell when the freight goes by. If the TV is on, or I'm asleep, I don't even hear it.

I probably wouldn't want to be directly up against the tracks, but walking distance with modern construction and insulation shouldn't be any problem whatsoever.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM

80 posts, read 196,957 times
Quote:
I thought you built a large house in Leander last spring?
That didn't work out due to different reasons. so I have been forced to pick some other construction with the same builder, otherwise I will loose the deposit.

Any other community with grand haven which is promising and less than 300K?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoAustin View Post
That didn't work out due to different reasons. so I have been forced to pick some other construction with the same builder, otherwise I will loose the deposit.

Any other community with grand haven which is promising and less than 300K?

Wow...unless you can get GH to merge with Milestone, I think you're out of options. Hard to believe GH shows their Person Place homes as "from the low $500s" !!!

ETA:
Looks like you could JUST squeeze in at Sarita Valley. Pretty drive up Ronald Reagan that will only get more and more congested over the next few years...but it fits the criteria:

http://www.grandhavenhomes.net/tools...ew&filter=true

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 11-05-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 09:57 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

ETA:
Looks like you could JUST squeeze in at Sarita Valley. Pretty drive up Ronald Reagan that will only get more and more congested over the next few years...but it fits the criteria:

Texas Custom Homes | Austin TX Custom Homes | Central TX Custom Homes | Grand Haven Homes
I agree with Coach. Out of all the Grand Haven choices under $300K, I think Sarita Valley is the most promising as it feeds into excellent or good schools (LISD) all the way up through High School and you'll get a normal suburban sized home that is suitable for a family of four or five. But, if that's not what you're looking for, I would consider eating the deposit if it was less than $30K. Whatever you buy out that far, you'll be stuck in for at least 5 years before you'd see enough appreciation to cover the costs to sell it, so you'd probably have to eat $30K anyway if you had to sell it before then.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM

80 posts, read 196,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I agree with Coach. Out of all the Grand Haven choices under $300K, I think Sarita Valley is the most promising as it feeds into excellent or good schools (LISD) all the way up through High School and you'll get a normal suburban sized home that is suitable for a family of four or five. But, if that's not what you're looking for, I would consider eating the deposit if it was less than $30K. Whatever you buy out that far, you'll be stuck in for at least 5 years before you'd see enough appreciation to cover the costs to sell it, so you'd probably have to eat $30K anyway if you had to sell it before then.
Is that Paloma Lake is better than Sarita Valley?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:13 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoAustin View Post
Is that Paloma Lake is better than Sarita Valley?
I personally think Sarita Valley is a much better choice than Paloma Lake. It feeds into better schools and is in a better location in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,966 times
I am in a pending sale for one of the cottages for $273,000. I had to opt out of blinds to get that price;which I prefer the custom blinds I ordered. I am not happy with the lack of communication and the poor sales office tactics. I am a cash buyer and I have been waiting patiently to close; which is two weeks later, than what I was told. That REALLY put me in a bind, due to only having 3 days left to move. They don't seem to care, so I am hoping for the best.........

I only have one car and the cottages are made for small or single parent families, with one or two kids max. I couldn't imagine more than 3-4 people occupying these cottages.

Something to consider. Schools and shopping and travel is good for this location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin