Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,115,098 times

Advertisements

Find me any city or town in the USA that doesn't have Starbucks on every corner! I found your post to be barely coherent.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:57 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,108,424 times
I don't understand what advice you want.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:20 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,858,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
Hahahahahaha! Whatcha' think? Did I get it just about right
Not really. You whiffed on quite a few points, but what does it matter - you saw what you wanted to see. Thanks for leaving your tourist dollars behind.

And if a visit somewhere left you "nearly psychotic" I'd look into the root cause of that.

Last edited by RoadWarrior12; 12-29-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,053,056 times
Your post is confusing, and the emotions you feel are the reality of a growing economy in a highly praised urban area.

Until the jobs dry up, the growth will continue. As long as the demand stays strong, the white hipster wannabe's and and all the support staff for them, combined with all the support staff for the state government needed to build and maintain the infrastructure needed by the hipster wannabe's and their support staff, will continue to move to Austin Metro. Unfortunately, the influx drives up the prices of housing, so the support staff and their support staff are all relegated to suburbia, creating sprawl, and a continuing cycle.

My only real challenge to your post is the idea that there is not a lot of diversity in the metro area here. Moving from upper Midwest region we see it quite differently. In our previous areas the ethnic groups lived together, with very little interwoven cultural experience in many areas. Here we have seen many ethnic heritages blended in suburban developments as well as in some of the more urban settings.

Good luck on your decision. If you end up in Georgetown, it is a very nice area.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,957,104 times
Quote:
No judgments...don't meant to start "the same ol' argument." 'cause I'm not sure what that argument is! Truly! From the bottom of my heart, I'm just looking for advice! Not sure what you are talking about, frankly. I actually LIKED Austin this time 'round and last time, too.

Actually, I think we might be moving there...seems perfect for us

BTW...I've read LOTS of your posts on other threads and you seem to be a New Yorker, Bostonian or or from some place up Northeast...me too!

Move past the post if you cannot bear reading it!
As a retired person, you won't like it once you see your property tax bill.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:16 PM

96 posts, read 314,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Find me any city or town in the USA that doesn't have Starbucks on every corner! I found your post to be barely coherent.

Thank You! Do you mind elaborating about what you DIDN'T understand, CENTRAL AUSTINITE (name says it all)? I think you understood the post all too well, THUS THE DEFENSIVENESS!

BTW, we don't have a Starbucks in our town or Downtown Detroit

Old 12-29-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Not really. You whiffed on quite a few points, but what does it matter - you saw what you wanted to see. Thanks for leaving your tourist dollars behind.

And if a visit somewhere left you "nearly psychotic" I'd look into the root cause of that.

Well don't bother enlightening me...just insult...it's okay. And thank you for your supportive post. We didn't spend much money. Y'all don't seem to need it! And I guess if I'm psychotic, I'd fit right in 'cause the entire place (Austin) seems a bit disconnected & disjointed...you do too, honey! Bye Bye!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I don't understand what advice you want.
No worries. Thank you!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
As a retired person, you won't like it once you see your property tax bill.

I lived in Manhattan for years...I'll be okay. Thank you!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,858,957 times
Quote:
Well don't bother enlightening me...just insult...it's okay. And thank you for your supportive post. We didn't spend much money. Y'all don't seem to need it! And I guess if I'm psychotic, I'd fit right in 'cause the entire place (Austin) seems a bit disconnected & disjointed...you do too, honey! Bye Bye!
Nope, but every dime in taxes tourism collects is one less dime I have to fund - and every dime counts.

Seriously have no idea what you're looking for with this thread... "Just looking for advice" about what? Your eyesight? Thoughts? Presumptions? Weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin