Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:41 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlovet View Post
I just read other forum "anyone else thinking moving out bay" and found this-

- Texas...... Bad weather. Different culture (except for Austin).

is that true?
To address just this part of your quote, if you are used to the weather in San Jose, Austin weather will indeed be bad. It is much, much hotter from May or June into October. And the winter is unpredictable, but will include very cold (freezing) days. Austin has a continental climate, meaning that its swings in weather are not moderated by any near-by ocean.

As for the culture, this quote makes it sound as though the culture in Austin is like the Bay Area. Not true. Although Austin is more varied than most of Texas (we have conservatives, libertarians, liberals, all living together,) Austin is still part of Texas. People who think they are moving to a little island of Non-Texas are fooling themselves. Most of us who have not lived in a place generally think of that place in terms of stereotypes, and that certainly holds with Texas (and Austin.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
To compare insurance costs between Texas and California as a rate per $100K of home value is a specious argument. Who cares what the rate is? What you care about is what the price is for your house. And given the price differentials, I'm betting the average Cali house has a higher bill - even if the rate is slightly lower.

Besides, if most Californians didn't go naked on earthquake insurance, there wouldn't be ANY thought of a comparison.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:47 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Weather: Well, I haven't lived in San Jose in 25 years. My Brother is still there and if memory serves, San Jose is much more temperate without severe swings. Here in Central Texas there are some crazy swings. IE on Saturday it was in the mid 70's with blue skies and gorgeous, by Monday it was 35 with hefty winds.

The summers are hotter that is for sure, no nighttime cooling and the summers are really long. Begins along about May and finally cools off in October. The length of the summer IMO is far worse than the actual heat, there are just no breaks. The AC seems to run day and night for months on end.

I don't find the humidity stifling, occasionally we have sticky icky days but its not days/nights on end.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
Google 'why is homeowners insurance high in Texas' and you'll get some of the answers. Our weather is more extreme - hailstorms, temperature swings, flooding.

I think it sounds more dramatic to say it than it is in practice, though. Maybe our rates are slightly higher but it's not terrible. Property taxes are a different story, but those at least are offset by no income tax.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:40 AM

207 posts, read 257,382 times
Thanks Aquitaine. Any idea about the rate of interest on mortgage at Austin. Also, do they accept 10% downpayment ?
-Jon

Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Thanks Aquitaine. Pls let me know the reason for higher insurance cost in Tx than CA. also 170$ per 100k is on yearly basis right ?
Correct.

Quote:
Does rate of interest on mortgage varies from state to state.. My credit is around 740. In CA, i checked that I might qualify for 2.5%(variable) rate of interest or 3.5% (fixed). Keeping these numbers in hand, how does this work out in Austin. Is it 6% ?
I got a 2.5% fixed rate 2 years ago. They are closer to 4% now.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 PM

207 posts, read 257,382 times
oh ok. thanks roadking

Old 02-20-2015, 12:44 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,191 times
Quote:
Thanks Aquitaine. Any idea about the rate of interest on mortgage at Austin. Also, do they accept 10% downpayment ?
-Jon
Mortgage Rates - Today's Home Loan Rates and Trends | Zillow

You should be able to find something with 10% down, yes.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
-Jon
In regards to the homeowners insurance question, I've learned that homeowner's insurance in Houston is a lot higher than in Austin (2 or 3 times the cost in some cases). I guess that's probably due to the more severe storm chances so really you would need to compare Austin homeowner's insurance costs specifically with San Jose.

And, if you have good credit/net worth, you could get a place for 5% down pretty easily with a 80/15/5 loan still (with the 15% second loan being at a higher interest rate of course, but it prevents you from having to pay PMI).

Old 02-20-2015, 06:36 PM

319 posts, read 610,284 times
Wooten, Allendale Estates, Crestview, etc. You should be able to find what you what between Mopac, 183, and I-35. Note that AISD has open transfer to schools not full, apparently now even if you don't live in Austin! Homestead exemption takes 20% off the tax rate too so more like 1.8%. You can get condos in that price range too, sometimes detached w/private yards even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin