Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:56 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times

Advertisements

I forget how bare Austin actual becomes in the winter since there is still some green from the live oaks and bushes, however, I visited northern CA a few weeks back and the entire area was emerald green with leaves on many trees, lush green hills and grass (and they're in a drought).

When we were driving home from ABIA, I felt like we might as well be somewhere where it snows during winter; it's browner here than I realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I forget how bare Austin actual becomes in the winter since there is still some green from the live oaks and bushes, however, I visited northern CA a few weeks back and the entire area was emerald green with leaves on many trees, lush green hills and grass (and they're in a drought).

When we were driving home from ABIA, I felt like we might as well be somewhere where it snows during winter; it's browner here than I realize.
It is the rainy season in CA right now. Visit CA in July and report back then.

Our plants are dormant in the winter, compare here in April to CA and we will compare favorably.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:16 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It is the rainy season in CA right now. Visit CA in July and report back then.

Our plants are dormant in the winter, compare here in April to CA and we will compare favorably.
Untrue; not even a contest.

I did visit last August. I'm from northern CA. It's always substantially greener there than here, even in drought years. There's simply more foliage there there to begin with. And it's not 100 degrees, or even 95, for anything more than 2 or 3 days once a year.

(At any rate, this post is not about comparing the two, it's about how brown and bare Austin is right now. It took me leaving, visiting elsewhere, to realize how brown it is.)

Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatetoxxxx View Post
Hi - I just made my maiden visit to Austin and had a different impression of green belt in my mind when I went from Chicago.

Lots of trees did not have any leaves on them and looked more like trees in Winter in Chicago. Is that because of how it is in winter or something else ? I did see few trees with green leaves but somehow was expecting a little more greener when everyone was saying green belt.

Also there seems to be a great effort by the city to keep the existing trees intact which I think is very commendable.
You also mentioned visiting the Steiner Ranch area; westerly in Austin the trees and foliage are more dry and scrubby looking. There was also a forest fire a few summers ago. Central Austin is a little more lush, and then past it as you go more east or southeast in the state (e.g. Houston area) will have more of the tall trees and lush greenery you were probably thinking of.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM

97 posts, read 123,795 times
I don't mean to get all sciencey on all of you smart Californians but here's the thing you might want to research:

Evergreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deciduous - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-12-2015, 10:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The cedar (ash juniper) trees are green year round, but you pay for it in the winter with the pollen.
Cedar/juniper......IMO, the most cursed, invasive tree in Texas....I wish I never had to be near one again in my life.

The only good cedar/juniper is a dead one.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsacamano View Post
I don't mean to get all sciencey on all of you smart Californians but here's the thing you might want to research:

Evergreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deciduous - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Live Oaks and Magnolias (and IIRC, a few other types of trees that grow in Austin) are evergreen. I lived in San Antonio before and was kind of surprised at how many deciduous trees there were, considering how far south it was. But then cold fronts typically bring sub-freezing weather that far south most winters that would kill most broad-leaf evergreen trees. Where I lived in coastal Orange County, CA, maybe 15% of trees were deciduous, so it was barely noticeable in winter.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Untrue; not even a contest.

I did visit last August. I'm from northern CA. It's always substantially greener there than here, even in drought years. There's simply more foliage there there to begin with. And it's not 100 degrees, or even 95, for anything more than 2 or 3 days once a year.

(At any rate, this post is not about comparing the two, it's about how brown and bare Austin is right now. It took me leaving, visiting elsewhere, to realize how brown it is.)
I lived in northern CA for 3 years. The East Bay hills are brown from about May to October. There's a reason Livermore is called "Live no more".

I was in southern CA this past summer. Except for the irrigated areas, most areas were quite barren. This summer Austin was greener than SoCal. Now we had a wetter and cooler than normal summer, but at least some of our grass remained green even without irrigation.

Also, it is more than 100 degrees in the desert areas and the Central Valley. Believe me, I have relatives in Sacramento.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:39 PM

52 posts, read 51,404 times
When will the grass be turning green from its current dormant state? In March?

Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHolt View Post
When will the grass be turning green from its current dormant state? In March?

My grass is green! And it is zoysia which usually stays dormant pretty long. But I'm getting ready to pull it out. Xeriscape!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin